insurance

Old February 26th 04, 06:43 PM
PK

Default insurance

Have fianlly sorted out the payout for bikes stolen in December. Taken a
long time as Xmas and me getting my finger out and there was a period of
confusion when their tame supplier quoted for bikes only and did not include
all the bolted on extras. It could have been doen in a few days if i'd
wanted.

Their offer was like for like replacemtns for the 4 bikes and all the kit
from their tame mail order supplier, or a cheque to the same value as they
would have paid said tame supplier - £1200

I wanted to deal with a local shop rahter than mail order, have all the bolt
ons bolted on AND upgrade to different spec bikes. So i opted for the cheque
after contacting the Insurance replacement guy at Evan's HQ, through whom a
far better discout is available than in the shops. So, I'm throwing in a few
hundred to get the deal and bikes *I* want.

Am going to collect all 4 bikes (Specailized Rockhopper and 3xHardrock on
Saturday)

Excellent deal and personlised service from Evans both in shop selceting
bikes and kit and from the HQ guy.

Excllent value insurance policy too! I'm not going to say who just in case
too many of you think it is too good a deal to miss and they take fright:
£45 per year to cover all bikes up to a value of £650 per bike (we specified
the value) it used to be £28 till i got a kona nu nu last year!

I've also spent £260 on ground anchors and motorcycle quality security
chains in the Garage! Drilling 4" holes in the concrete floor this morning
was not fun

Roll on sunday morning!

--
PK
---

Old February 26th 04, 07:27 PM
PK

PK wrote:
Have fianlly sorted out the payout for bikes stolen in December.

oops wrong group!

pk

Old February 26th 04, 07:47 PM
Luigi de Guzman

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 19:27:49 +0000 (UTC), "PK"
wrote:

PK wrote:
Have fianlly sorted out the payout for bikes stolen in December.

oops wrong group!

no worries.

pk

Old February 26th 04, 09:53 PM
Dane Jackson

PK wrote:
PK wrote:
Have fianlly sorted out the payout for bikes stolen in December.

oops wrong group!

I don't know, I thought it was interesting anyway. So, tell me about
the anchors you're setting up for the garage. I might be buying a used
tandem from someone soon, and it would live in the garage most likely.
But I don't wish to leave it in there without some decent locking up.

Pics would be even nicer.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Radioactive cats have 18 half-lives.
Old February 27th 04, 01:02 PM
PK

Dane Jackson wrote:
PK wrote:
PK wrote:
Have fianlly sorted out the payout for bikes stolen in December.

oops wrong group!

I don't know, I thought it was interesting anyway. So, tell me about
the anchors you're setting up for the garage. I might be buying a
used tandem from someone soon, and it would live in the garage most
likely. But I don't wish to leave it in there without some decent
locking up.

Pics would be even nicer.

http://www.accessinsurance.co.uk/hardiesecure.htm

Single 4inch expanding 12mm bolt into the concrete floor. Very solid
construction and bolt head hidden behind non removable cover.

pk

Old February 28th 04, 07:53 AM
Dennis P. Harris

On Thu, 26 Feb 2004 21:53:13 GMT in rec.bicycles.misc, Dane
Jackson wrote:

I don't know, I thought it was interesting anyway. So, tell me about
the anchors you're setting up for the garage. I might be buying a used
tandem from someone soon, and it would live in the garage most likely.
But I don't wish to leave it in there without some decent locking up.

i don't understand you guys. why would anyone live where your
bike isn't safe IN YOUR OWN GARAGE?

Old February 28th 04, 03:34 PM
Luigi de Guzman

Jackson wrote:

I don't know, I thought it was interesting anyway. So, tell me about
the anchors you're setting up for the garage. I might be buying a used
tandem from someone soon, and it would live in the garage most likely.
But I don't wish to leave it in there without some decent locking up.

i don't understand you guys. why would anyone live where your
bike isn't safe IN YOUR OWN GARAGE?

because housing costs are high in Britain.

Regular readers of CyclingPlus will note that that particular
publication takes its lock tests *seriously*. Wall anchors and floor
anchors are likewise reviewed.

After living in London for a year, I returned to the US and was amazed
that no motorcyclists seemed to be locking up their machines--in
London, Kryptonite hardened chains seem to be the state of the art, at
minimum looped through the front wheel to render the thing unrideable.
Most of the couriers' motorcycles had the chain running through the
disc brake; likewise the sports, tourers, and sports/tourers ridden
by the City gent types.

Bicycles are of course universally locked. They are either the
barely-serviceable rusting hulk used for transport with minimal theft
appeal (my solution), the 'q-ships' (my term for fancy bikes
elaborately uglified with gaffer tape, inner tubes, etc) or the
soon-to be stolen.

Even in the bicycle heaven (Fietsens nirvana?) of the Netherlands,
people are constantly worried about their bikes. looking over my
UglyBike and U-lock, a Dutch friend shook her head and scolded
me--only one lock? in Holland, the bike would be stolen already!

What is probably more amazing to me is that people live in places
where they don't seriously have to worry about their things being
taken if not nailed down....

As regards bike theft, well, here where I live, there seems to be so
little demand for bicycles that most cyclists are safe. I've seen
unlocked bicycles at the public library--but there are few of these.
Grocery-store workers who ride their bicycles to work (often on the
sidewalks, but there's no way to make them vehicular cyclists when the
only time you talk to them is when you're stopped at lights) do put
weak chains on their bikes to deter ride-away thieves, since oftentime
the bike is their only link to a job....

-Luigi
solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short.

www.livejournal.com/users/ouij
Photos, Rants, Raves
Old March 1st 04, 05:26 PM
Dane Jackson

Jackson wrote:

I don't know, I thought it was interesting anyway. So, tell me about
the anchors you're setting up for the garage. I might be buying a used
tandem from someone soon, and it would live in the garage most likely.
But I don't wish to leave it in there without some decent locking up.

i don't understand you guys. why would anyone live where your
bike isn't safe IN YOUR OWN GARAGE?

What, you mean like on an island with no-one else on it? It doesn't
matter where you live, things can be stolen. Is it necessarily likely?
Maybe / maybe not. I know in King county, with the economy still pretty
crappy, burglary has been going up over the last couple years. Could I
leave my shiny new tandem in the garage without it getting stolen?
Probably. Does it hurt to sink a U-bolt into the concrete and lock it
up? No.

ObBikeStuff: Woohoo! My co-worker dropped off the Burley Duet he sold
me, plus kid-cranks, and a tandem mount for a roof-rack last night.
Huzzah! Now I can ride with my wife, without feeling like I'm dying of
impatience waiting for her. Plus riding on a tandem is just more fun.

Anyone know what a good roof rack for a Chevy Prizm 2001 is? I am
totally without clue on this subject.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
"Death is a once in a lifetime experience."
Old March 1st 04, 08:27 PM
Dane Jackson

Luigi de Guzman wrote:

Regular readers of CyclingPlus will note that that particular
publication takes its lock tests *seriously*. Wall anchors and floor
anchors are likewise reviewed.

I really do need to get a subscription. I balked at the $60, but I
picked one up while I was visting my brother in Philadelphia, and it
was awfully good. Everytime I see an issue of Buycycling, that $60
seems less and less of an obstacle.

--
Dane Jackson - z u v e m b i @ u n i x b i g o t s . o r g
Barth's Distinction:
Old March 1st 04, 09:33 PM
PK

Jackson wrote:

I don't know, I thought it was interesting anyway. So, tell me about
the anchors you're setting up for the garage. I might be buying a used
tandem from someone soon, and it would live in the garage most likely.
But I don't wish to leave it in there without some decent locking up.

i don't understand you guys. why would anyone live where your
bike isn't safe IN YOUR OWN GARAGE?

garage is 50m away at the far end of the garden.

It's one of the penalties of living in a prosperous bit of london, it acts
as a magnet for the scrote from adjacent run down areas.

Fact of london life I'm afraid.

pk