Fractured front cog?

Old July 5th 04, 07:10 PM
Daniel Kelly \(AKA Jack\)

Default Fractured front cog?

Sorry guys, it looks like my web host has gone offline.

Here are some photos that work:

Try these links:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadak/fracture1.jpg
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadak/fracture2.jpg
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadak/fracture3.jpg

Thanks!
Jack

"Daniel Kelly (AKA Jack)" wrote in message
Dear Bikers,

I fear my bike has a fracture in its front cog. I first noticed something
was wrong when I heard the front cog hitting against the front derailleur
once every revolution of the pedals. It turned out the front cog was
actually bent and so "wobbled" as it rotated, relative to the front
derailleur. Closer inspection showed that the front cog was a little

loose
and could be jiggled a little. The join between the front cog and the

right
pedal was clearly loose.

I took the right pedal off and found a little crack in the front cog.

Some
photos are he

http://www.xlk.org.uk/forum/modules....view_album.php

Is this a fracture? If so, how dangerous is it? Can I ride my bike with
this fracture? Do I need a new front cog & right pedal?

Thanks,
Jack

Old July 5th 04, 07:29 PM
ZeeExSixAre

I fear my bike has a fracture in its front cog. I first noticed

Sure has. Upgrade your crankset. Stay away from Suntour stuff... they're
cheap stuff made for people who don't really ride.

At the very least, stick with Deore-level (FC-something22) cranks or higher.
They should be no more than $50-60 at your local bike shop.

Don't get anything with riveted chainrings... that's an indication of
inferior quality.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old July 5th 04, 07:38 PM
S o r n i

Daniel Kelly (AKA Jack) wrote:
Sorry guys, it looks like my web host has gone offline.

Here are some photos that work:

Try these links:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadak/fracture1.jpg
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadak/fracture2.jpg
http://www.ucl.ac.uk/~ucgadak/fracture3.jpg

While it may last a long time -- especially if you don't use that granny
much -- easiest thing to do is buy a new small chainring and replace the
cracked one.

Bill "how'd you do that, anyway?!?" S.

Old July 5th 04, 08:42 PM
ZeeExSixAre

granny much -- easiest thing to do is buy a new small chainring and
replace the cracked one.

Not likely - the whole spider is riveted together to the chainrings.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Fractured front cog? Badger_South General 9 July 6th 04 11:16 AM
Mystery Bikes Marian Rosenberg General 7 January 21st 04 01:51 PM
Mystery Bikes Marian Rosenberg General 4 January 7th 04 11:18 PM
Front Derailleur problems (chain falls off inside) Post to newsgroup General 11 October 25th 03 03:18 AM
Do front derailleurs inherently kinda suck? Mike Kozlowski Mountain Biking 19 September 23rd 03 03:09 PM