Diet Coker!!!

Old September 3rd 06, 05:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Default Diet Coker!!!

Ok, as promised, pics of my recently upgraded Coker

--
GizmoDuck

'SINZ Unitour 2007' (http://www.sinzuni.org)
'www.adventureunicyclist.com' (http://www.adventureunicyclist.com/)
'Laos Unicycle Tour 2006' (http://www.laosunitour.org)

The Monguni tour 2008....

Old September 3rd 06, 05:50 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Ooops, forgot to attach it

|Filename: Diet Coker.jpg |

Old September 3rd 06, 05:52 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

The lightweight hub, cranks, pedals

|Filename: Diet Coker drive.jpg |

Old September 3rd 06, 05:54 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

And the control panel

Old September 3rd 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Oops, forgot to attach it again.

Here it is with the frame

|Filename: Frame.jpg |

Old September 3rd 06, 05:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian MacKenzie

that brake setup looks really light as well!

--
Brian MacKenzie

DVD now available: 'Training Wheel Not Required'
(http://www.LBMmultimedia.com/videos/TWNR_uniTV.wmv)
Brian MacKenzie's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7650

Old September 3rd 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Yip it sure is. I saved over 1kg from my previous set-up, which was not
exactly heavy. The wheel says J'ville Cycles (my sponsors Johnsonville
Cycles), and Stans No-tubes (because it's tubeless). The brake is a
ultralight magura airbrake- weighs next to nothing. Or at least it
will do when I trim off those brake mounts.

I just had a quick spin on my new upgraded Coker- man...talk about
fast! I didn't exactly have a heavy Coker before, but now it's
ultralight and ultraresponsive.

It still rides like a Coker, but you can flick it around on turns and
accelerate away like a race b*ke in the big ring. It's just an
unbelievable feeling!

Basically, I upgraded my frame (saved ~250g), cranks (~200g), pedals
(~300g), Seat (~100g), Handle (~400g).

I don't have accurate enough scales to give a good measure of the whole
unicycle- but on my bathroom scales it weighs just over 6kg.

My new Diet Coker setup:
Coker Tyre, Stans Tubeless conversion
Airfoil rim
Tommy Miller SS spokes
Standard UDC hub
Schlumpf alloy 114mm cranks (~300g vs the 500g 110mm Bicycle Euros I
had previously)
Wellgo MG-1 Magnesium pedals (370g vs 680g for my trusty sealed Snafus)

Schlumpf 1st Generation reject frame (850g vs 1100g for my old Std
Coker frame)
Miyata carbon seat, dual density foam (I haven't weighed this, but it's
at least 100g lighter than my KH Carbon seat with heavy foam that I
used at Unicon).
Wallis Deathgrip Carbon handles (about 400g lighter than the GB4
handle+grips, but I still prefer the GB4. Will swap over for the
purpose of this exercise).

All up, it's a very significant weight saving- especially the rotating
weight (1/2 a kg from the cranks and pedals alone). Add the fact that I
was already running SS spokes and tubeless, and you are looking at 1kg
less rotating mass to the equivalent Airfoil Coker with standard spokes
and tube set-up. Add a bit more if you are using a wide hub, or even
more if you are not running an airfoil rim.

Anyway, the point I'm trying to make is that Cokers are too darn
heavy....if you lighten it, you WILL notice a huge improvement. It
still rides like a Coker (stable and predictable), but the handling is
just so responsive. This thing rides like a feather. And the
acceleration- really freakin fast. I can make unbelievably tight
turns. I can't wait to take this off-road.

Compared to a standard steel rim Coker, it's like riding an 8kg
roadbike vs a 12kg Mountainbike .

Ken

Old September 3rd 06, 06:17 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Brian MacKenzie

do you notice any disadvantages to it being so light?

edit: forgot to say 'holy crap that's light!!!'

Old September 3rd 06, 06:23 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
edsbelly

Very sexy.

Very light.

Very expensive? (was it)*

Ed

--
edsbelly

Stayin' Single and Keepin' it Wheel (but not 2 wheel)

evil-nick wrote:
If unicycling were easy, it'd be called "your mother!"

d^.^b
`

yoopers wrote:
The difference between a boomerang and a dog though is that if you throw
the dog, it usually doesn't come back.

Fork+Shoe=Spleen
Max's #1 fan
edsbelly's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11164

Old September 3rd 06, 06:24 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

Brian MacKenzie wrote:
do you notice any disadvantages to it being so light?

edit: forgot to say 'holy crap that's light!!!'

Not yet- I've only taken it for a short ride. I guess we'll see how
well the pedals hold up (see the other thread on Wellgo pedals). They
are actually grippier than my Snafus, which actually makes it harder to
adjust your foot position at high revs.
I think this frame also flexes more than my old steel one. It doesn't
matter as my airbrake is capable of adjusting to the flex unlike many
of those lousy hydraulic brakes that people have on their Cokers.

I like my GB4 handle (450g) for distance more than the Wallis
Deathgrips (50g), but it would be ideal as a Coker MUni.

You really have to ride something like this to see what I mean. I took
it off some jumps and up a few bumpy sections and it's really
responsive. It's so easy to hop around things and do rolling hops over
obstacles instead of plowing through everything like a regular Coker.