Where's Mike Imrem now? 88' heat cancels football practice!

Old August 4th 04, 06:21 AM
crit pro

Default Where's Mike Imrem now? 88' heat cancels football practice!

What were the average temps in France in July 2003???? Can't wait to
see what Mike Imrem says about this.

Football players are sacks of ****.

crit pro

This www.dailyherald.com news story

Cool move: Smith cuts a practice
By Bob LeGere Daily Herald Sports Writer

At the conclusion of Monday's two-hour, five-minute practice in
88-degree
heat and oppressive humidity, the Bears huddled around coach Lovie
Smith and moments later let out a cheer.

Smith canceled today's morning practice, leaving just the evening
practice under the lights at the Olivet Nazarene football stadium.
The head coach had built in extra practices to his original schedule,
figuring at least one would be canceled by inclement weather. But
every practice has gone on as scheduled, giving Smith the option of
eliminating one workout.

It couldn't have come at a better time, with players dropping like
flies, many of them with hamstring injuries.

Thirteen players missed Monday morning's two-hour and 20-minute
session, and 14 players sat out in the afternoon. Wide receivers Marty
Booker and Jamin Elliott, linebacker Brian Urlacher and tight ends
Desmond Clark and John Gilmore all have hamstring ailments which
caused
them to miss both of Monday's practices. Running back Anthony Thomas
has been sidelined with a side/abdominal injury that may keep him
out a while. Mike Gandy (groin), Alex Brown (calf), wide receiver
Justin Gage (back) and Jerry Azumah (neck) also missed Monday's
practices.
Azumah went to Pittsburgh to seek a second opinion on his injury.

"There's not a concern; we're just getting a second opinion," Smith
said. "I like to play Dr. Smith from time to time, but right now I
really can't. We all want to make sure before we bring him back on
the field. It's an area that you need to get a few opinions on."

Offensive tackle Aaron Gibson was rested in the first practice,
but his knees still bothered him enough in the afternoon to keep him
from finishing that session. Guard Rex Tucker rested his surgical
ankles in the afternoon after practicing in the morning and John Tait
followed the same schedule to rest his knees.

Down time: As part of offensive coordinator Terry Shea's plan to
prevent tired arms in training camp, No. 2 quarterback Jonathan Quinn
did not throw in the Monday afternoon practice.

As a result, rookie Craig Krenzel, who has thrown the ball more
accurately than Quinn most of camp, got additional reps. Krenzel has
impressed Shea with his precision passing.

"He hasn't changed a bit in terms of my evaluation," Shea said.
"I liked his (footwork) coming out of college, and now I like his
spin on the ball. He's got a real knack for sticking the ball in
there.
They were a little concerned coming out of college about his lack
of accuracy. I don't see that at all. It's just a product of getting
more and more reps, which he does in this system."

On guard: With guard Mike Gandy still out, Terrence Metcalf worked
with the first team ahead of eight-time Pro Bowler Ruben Brown,
surprising
a few observers.

"We're just looking at different combinations, really," coach Lovie
Smith said. "Ruben came out a little bit; he's been a little sore.
We gave Terrence some reps Sunday, and he had an excellent practice.
Right now, we're a new staff rolling people in. If you play well,
you get more reps."

FORWARDED STORY ABOVE

Visit Suburban Chicago's Information Source at
http://www.dailyherald.com
Old August 4th 04, 10:42 AM
Wesley Best

Imrem, being the complete ass he is, will argue that thjey *had* to cancel,
because of all the pads that the players wear.
Which even better makes the point that cyclists are tougher:
Football players: Gotta have 40# of pads to protect them from each other.
Cyclists: Had to be *forced* into wearing helmets to protect them for the roads
at 70kph.
Cyclists win.
Wes
Old August 4th 04, 02:48 PM
Chester Kuhn

"crit pro" wrote in message
m...
[...]

Wtf. I got yelled at for posting the entire article...

Old August 4th 04, 08:06 PM
gooserider

"Wesley Best" wrote in message
Imrem, being the complete ass he is, will argue that thjey *had* to

cancel,
because of all the pads that the players wear.
Which even better makes the point that cyclists are tougher:
Football players: Gotta have 40# of pads to protect them from each other.
Cyclists: Had to be *forced* into wearing helmets to protect them for the

roads
at 70kph.
Cyclists win.
Wes

Cyclists are tough. Football players are tough. Imrem is a dick.

Old August 5th 04, 05:40 PM
Andy Coggan

"crit pro" wrote in message
m...
What were the average temps in France in July 2003???? Can't wait to
see what Mike Imrem says about this.

Football players are sacks of ****.

And you, I have decided, are an idiot. There's a world of difference between
expecting very large (size alone plays a role in thermoregulation),
unacclimatized, non-endurance-trained (meaning lower cardiovascular fitness)
athletes to put in an *extra* PRACTICE in thermally stressful conditions
while wearing equipment that restricts heat loss, and expecting
smaller-than-average, very lean, endurance-trained professionals wearing
only lycra to compete under similar circumstances.

Andy Coggan