A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Ketone Esters



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 4th 19, 09:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 942
Default Ketone Esters

A couple of weeks ago we were talking about Ketone Esters. This is sort of a predigested results of dietary fat.

I had breakfast and because I was heading out on a difficult ride I drank a bottle of that stuff cut 50/50 with tap water.

It has a taste reminiscent of fingernail polish. And that taste sticks with you.

It didn't seem to do anything. I really dragged my butt up the 1,000 foot climb with 9-12% sections but I made it.

It costs a small fortune so it hardly seems to be worth even talking about.

Yesterday I had forgotten to go to the store and had nothing for breakfast before another hard ride so on an empty stomach I drank that stuff again. This time before I left I brushed my teeth and used Listerine mouthwash. That reduced the taste to merely unpleasant.


I rode out to the target 19 miles and 1600 feet of climbing away and I didn't bonk which I would have expected to do what with no breakfast. At the coffee shop I had a roll and a coffee and came back. At the end of the ride I was not exceptionally tired and had a rather fast recovery.

So perhaps this stuff is worth you giving a try if you're a sports rider. It did appear to work far better on an empty stomach than after having eaten.. And brushing the teeth and using mouthwash DEFINITELY was the way to go.
  #2  
Old September 4th 19, 10:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,777
Default Ketone Esters

On 9/4/2019 3:40 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
A couple of weeks ago we were talking about Ketone Esters. This is sort of a predigested results of dietary fat.

I had breakfast and because I was heading out on a difficult ride I drank a bottle of that stuff cut 50/50 with tap water.

It has a taste reminiscent of fingernail polish. And that taste sticks with you.

It didn't seem to do anything. I really dragged my butt up the 1,000 foot climb with 9-12% sections but I made it.

It costs a small fortune so it hardly seems to be worth even talking about.

Yesterday I had forgotten to go to the store and had nothing for breakfast before another hard ride so on an empty stomach I drank that stuff again. This time before I left I brushed my teeth and used Listerine mouthwash. That reduced the taste to merely unpleasant.


I rode out to the target 19 miles and 1600 feet of climbing away and I didn't bonk which I would have expected to do what with no breakfast. At the coffee shop I had a roll and a coffee and came back. At the end of the ride I was not exceptionally tired and had a rather fast recovery.

So perhaps this stuff is worth you giving a try if you're a sports rider. It did appear to work far better on an empty stomach than after having eaten. And brushing the teeth and using mouthwash DEFINITELY was the way to go.


I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by all
means do it more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT comment
about cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I just eat
actual food." Works for me too.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


  #3  
Old September 4th 19, 10:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,010
Default Ketone Esters

On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:


I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by all means do it
more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT comment about
cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I just eat actual food." Works
for me too.


I ate a meat pie mid ride once. The day was cold. The pie was hot.
Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't though. I was
regurgitating meat all the way home.

Some actual food is counter productive.

--
JS
  #4  
Old September 5th 19, 01:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 381
Default Ketone Esters

James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:


I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by all means do it
more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT comment about
cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I just eat actual food." Works
for me too.


I ate a meat pie mid ride once. The day was cold. The pie was hot.
Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't though. I was
regurgitating meat all the way home.

Some actual food is counter productive.


During one long ride where I was starting to bonk, the combination of a
Cornish pastie and a half litre of chocolate milk was damn near miraculous,
so maybe there’s an optimum amount of meat.

  #5  
Old September 5th 19, 09:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 980
Default Ketone Esters

On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 00:06:25 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:


I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by all means do it
more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT comment about
cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I just eat actual food." Works
for me too.


I ate a meat pie mid ride once. The day was cold. The pie was hot.
Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't though. I was
regurgitating meat all the way home.

Some actual food is counter productive.


During one long ride where I was starting to bonk, the combination of a
Cornish pastie and a half litre of chocolate milk was damn near miraculous,
so maybe there’s an optimum amount of meat.


Actually the body digests protein relatively slowly so perhaps the
beef wasn't what made the difference. The gravy and pastry might well
have been the real energy producers :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

  #6  
Old September 6th 19, 03:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 6,010
Default Ketone Esters

On 5/9/19 6:46 pm, John B. wrote:
On Thu, 5 Sep 2019 00:06:25 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:


I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by all means do it
more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT comment about
cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I just eat actual food." Works
for me too.


I ate a meat pie mid ride once. The day was cold. The pie was hot.
Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't though. I was
regurgitating meat all the way home.

Some actual food is counter productive.


During one long ride where I was starting to bonk, the combination of a
Cornish pastie and a half litre of chocolate milk was damn near miraculous,
so maybe there’s an optimum amount of meat.


Actually the body digests protein relatively slowly so perhaps the
beef wasn't what made the difference. The gravy and pastry might well
have been the real energy producers :-)


I read somewhere that milk is quite good to rehydrate with. The fat and
solids somehow slow down the processing and the body can absorb the
water well and retain it rather than it passing through as if you drink
straight water. Of course it would be bad if you have some milk
intolerance.

--
JS

  #7  
Old September 6th 19, 08:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 494
Default Ketone Esters

On Thu, 05 Sep 2019 00:06:25 +0000, Ralph Barone wrote:

James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:


I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by all means do
it more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT comment about
cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I just eat actual food."
Works for me too.


I ate a meat pie mid ride once. The day was cold. The pie was hot.
Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't though. I was
regurgitating meat all the way home.

Some actual food is counter productive.


During one long ride where I was starting to bonk, the combination of a
Cornish pastie and a half litre of chocolate milk was damn near
miraculous,
so maybe there’s an optimum amount of meat.


IMU, it is the chocolate milk that gave you the boost.

  #8  
Old September 6th 19, 01:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 4,527
Default Ketone Esters

On Friday, 6 September 2019 03:54:35 UTC-4, news18 wrote:
On Thu, 05 Sep 2019 00:06:25 +0000, Ralph Barone wrote:

James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:


I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by all means do
it more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT comment about
cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I just eat actual food."
Works for me too.


I ate a meat pie mid ride once. The day was cold. The pie was hot.
Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't though. I was
regurgitating meat all the way home.

Some actual food is counter productive.


During one long ride where I was starting to bonk, the combination of a
Cornish pastie and a half litre of chocolate milk was damn near
miraculous,
so maybe there’s an optimum amount of meat.


IMU, it is the chocolate milk that gave you the boost.


I've read that chocolate milk is an ideal recovery drink.

Cheers
  #9  
Old September 6th 19, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 381
Default Ketone Esters

news18 wrote:
On Thu, 05 Sep 2019 00:06:25 +0000, Ralph Barone wrote:

James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:


I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by all means do
it more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT comment about
cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I just eat actual food."
Works for me too.


I ate a meat pie mid ride once. The day was cold. The pie was hot.
Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't though. I was
regurgitating meat all the way home.

Some actual food is counter productive.


During one long ride where I was starting to bonk, the combination of a
Cornish pastie and a half litre of chocolate milk was damn near
miraculous,
so maybe there’s an optimum amount of meat.


IMU, it is the chocolate milk that gave you the boost.



Oh yeah. Definitely the chocolate milk. But the Cornish pastie tasted great
and I didn’t hurl afterwards, so it was also appreciated.

  #10  
Old September 5th 19, 01:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 10,777
Default Ketone Esters

On 9/4/2019 4:42 PM, James wrote:
On 5/9/19 7:20 am, AMuzi wrote:


I don't know.
I'm happy that you are happy. If this works for you, by
all means do it more.

Your post reminded me of Chalo's all time pithy RBT
comment about cycling-specific energy bars and drinks, "I
just eat actual food." Works for me too.


I ate a meat pie mid ride once. The day was cold. The pie
was hot. Seemed like a good idea at the time. It wasn't
though. I was regurgitating meat all the way home.

Some actual food is counter productive.


It's a good story though!

At 85 miles into a sunny but windy 40F late September
century, my friend and I were just out of everything and
stopped to eat some field corn (dairy cow maize, not sweet
corn). The effect was miraculous and within minutes we were
back riding.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971


 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 03:30 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2004-2019 CycleBanter.com.
The comments are property of their posters.