Drop Bar Hydraulic Disk

Old September 13th 19, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

Default Drop Bar Hydraulic Disk

I think that I'm going to change my flat bar bike over to a drop bar. There were no road shifters with hydraulic brakes until after I had put it together. (Or maybe they were so frightfully expensive we didn't move in the same spheres)

The problem appears to be that it is a 10 speed and the only hydraulic shifter I can find appear to be either 11 speed or Di2.

Were 10 speed hydraulic shifters even made?

I really would hate to have to change over to 11 speeds.
Old September 13th 19, 01:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/12/2019 6:32 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I think that I'm going to change my flat bar bike over to a drop bar. There were no road shifters with hydraulic brakes until after I had put it together. (Or maybe they were so frightfully expensive we didn't move in the same spheres)

The problem appears to be that it is a 10 speed and the only hydraulic shifter I can find appear to be either 11 speed or Di2.

Were 10 speed hydraulic shifters even made?

I really would hate to have to change over to 11 speeds.

Next time you need a chain/cassette just go to 11:
https://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-po...1-speed-ergos/

Same hub, quick upgrade.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old September 13th 19, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 5:20:49 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/12/2019 6:32 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I think that I'm going to change my flat bar bike over to a drop bar. There were no road shifters with hydraulic brakes until after I had put it together. (Or maybe they were so frightfully expensive we didn't move in the same spheres)

The problem appears to be that it is a 10 speed and the only hydraulic shifter I can find appear to be either 11 speed or Di2.

Were 10 speed hydraulic shifters even made?

I really would hate to have to change over to 11 speeds.

Next time you need a chain/cassette just go to 11:
https://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-po...1-speed-ergos/

Same hub, quick upgrade.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

The problem is with 11 speeds I have to also replace the rear and front derailleurs, rear cassette, the cranks and the chain.

I have tried using a 10 speed cassette that was actually an 11 with a missing cog and it is noisy as hell. You absolutely have to use an 11 speed chain. Then the front derailleur doesn't work properly.
Old September 13th 19, 05:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 8:39:04 AM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Try Google: https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/produ...T-RS405-R.html

Problem solved, assuming you're updating a Shimano equipped bike and not Campagnolo. And why do you want hydro discs? You were claiming they were dangerous and put you over the bars on your CX bike.

BTW, I updated my commuter to 11sp so I could get hydro discs for the long rainy season. I should have gone with the Tiagra 10sp and saved some dough.. Anyway, my FD is a 600EX museum piece, and it works fine. My crank is a 10sp, and it works fine. You don't need to update those things, unless you are switching over from Campy and there is some other issue.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old September 13th 19, 06:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 9:11:47 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I am sort of upgrading this bike so that my friend who intends to visit next year will have a bike that fits him. After realizing that it is already a Shimano set and I would have to change everything anyway to make it Campy, I bought the Potenza levers. My friend is so afraid of carbon fiber now that he won't even use CF LEVERS. So all will be replaced. And since he has been riding in Phoenix his climbing is gone. Here he was fast up the climbs.

I would like to put a Shimano bike together but I think that I'll save that for the Basso after I have it powder coated etc.

But since the medium arm Potenza derailleur can shift a 32 tooth cog, I no longer have to worry about putting him on a double ring.

Though his wife may require a bit of thought since my intentions are to rebuild my wife's Colnago Master 54 cm. Our visitor normally rides a 56 but since the Colnago has a long top tube I can probably get away with it. All I would have to do is have the rear triangle spread to 11 speed, get a set of Ultegra 11 speed levers, wheels (think I have a set that just needs a Shimano freehub) compact cranks and an 11-32 cassette. (A Colnago Master weighs in roughly at 2 1/2 tons)

My wife has been riding her Mercian and plainly there was never a better steel lugged bike built. You can even tell that pushing the bike while holding the saddle - you can steer that bike without a thought.
Old September 22nd 19, 02:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Thursday, September 12, 2019 at 5:20:49 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 9/12/2019 6:32 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
I think that I'm going to change my flat bar bike over to a drop bar. There were no road shifters with hydraulic brakes until after I had put it together. (Or maybe they were so frightfully expensive we didn't move in the same spheres)

The problem appears to be that it is a 10 speed and the only hydraulic shifter I can find appear to be either 11 speed or Di2.

Were 10 speed hydraulic shifters even made?

I really would hate to have to change over to 11 speeds.

Next time you need a chain/cassette just go to 11:
https://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-po...1-speed-ergos/

Same hub, quick upgrade.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Andrew - I ordered that Potenza and it was not a hydraulic lever. It is something that is called "hydraulically optimized" and that has something to do with the rear derailleur and not the hydraulic disk brakes it appears.

It is made to use rim brakes or cable operated disks.
Old September 22nd 19, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich[_5_]

On Saturday, September 21, 2019 at 6:11:48 PM UTC-7, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

When I try to look up the Campy Hydraulic brake/mechanical shift levers they look the same. I wonder thy they are do damned secretive about how this stuff works. It appears to me that if you used Potenza rear derailleur, Shimano 11 speed 11-32 wheels and cassette and record 11 speed levers that you could have it all work together.

But the hydraulic brakes are a pain in the butt.
Old September 22nd 19, 04:06 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

[...]

If you buy the right Potenza lever, it is hydraulic. I can ride over to Universal and get you a set. https://www.universalcycles.com/shop...iABEgJKRvD_BwE

I don't know why you would want to spend $600 USD on hydraulic levers, though.

== Jay Beattie.
Old September 22nd 19, 01:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Zen Cycle

On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 1:01:36 PM UTC-4, Tom Kunich wrote:
On Friday, September 13, 2019 at 9:11:47 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:

And why do you want hydro discs? You were claiming they were dangerous
and put you over the bars on your CX bike.

I am sort of upgrading this bike so that my friend who intends to
visit next year will have a bike that fits him.

So, tommy won't ride discs because they're dangerous, but he'll put his friend on a disc-equipped bike he has never ridden.

With friends like tom, you don't need enemies.

Old September 22nd 19, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 9/21/2019 8:11 PM, Tom Kunich wrote:
[...]

Is this what you received?
https://www.bike24.com/p2230094.html