what paint to use?

Old May 10th 05, 12:52 PM
Joel Mayes

Default what paint to use?

G'day All;

While giving a bit of TLC to my bike this arvo I've noticed a fairly
large scratch in the paint work, probably from some bugger knocking it
around whilst its locked up. I'd like to touch this up to prevent
rusting but have no idea what sort of paint is suitable and durable for
a cromoly frame.

Can anyone shed some light, or even better point me to a good supplier
in Melbourne?

Cheers

Joel
Old May 10th 05, 02:56 PM
Peter Signorini

"Joel Mayes" wrote in message
G'day All;

While giving a bit of TLC to my bike this arvo I've noticed a fairly
large scratch in the paint work, probably from some bugger knocking it
around whilst its locked up. I'd like to touch this up to prevent
rusting but have no idea what sort of paint is suitable and durable for
a cromoly frame.

Can anyone shed some light, or even better point me to a good supplier
in Melbourne?

While I fully sympathise with the horrors of the first scratch to your pride
and joy, if it's just rust protection you're after, then cromoly frames are
surprisingly resilient. My tourer has scrapes on it that have not been
touched up, with bare metal that has been that way for 4-5 years. There is
only the lightest surface patina of corrosion, and it has not worsened at
all. Cromoly has about 5% chrome in it, stainless steel has about 11%, so
this gives cromoly pretty good rust resistance. For more protection you
could just use Killrust, or even ascorbic acid to neutralise the rust.

Of course for cosmetic reasons you may want to restore the immaculate paint
job. Then I'd suggest going back to the LBS that sold the bike to you, or
try Cecil Walkers, Peter Moore at Abbotford Cycles or any other shop that
builds/repairs frames.

Cheers
Peter

Old May 10th 05, 11:25 PM
adam85

Joel Mayes Wrote:
G'day All;

While giving a bit of TLC to my bike this arvo I've noticed a fairly
large scratch in the paint work, probably from some bugger knocking it
around whilst its locked up. I'd like to touch this up to prevent
rusting but have no idea what sort of paint is suitable and durabl
for
a cromoly frame.

Can anyone shed some light, or even better point me to a good supplier
in Melbourne?

Cheers

Joel

I saw a product advertised the other day for touching up scratches i
car paint. It looked like a big thick coloured crayon type thing use
to fill in a deep scratch, and then a polishing compound to us
afterwards. Try your local autoshop and see if you can match th
colour. I've got a few gouges on my old yellow TCR2 that I'm going t
try this out on. I've also heard of some people using nail polish jus
to touch up the odd scratch.

Otherwise it's the same as car paint. Do a google search there's plent
of how-tos out there. Basically sand back feathering the edges, clea
with presol solvent, etch prime any bare metal, then use
primer/filler, sand back, then topcoat. You can use acrylic laquer
from a can from your local autoshop and then use cutting compound t
get a good finish, but 2-pack shot from a spraygun will give a bette
and tougher finish.

Ada

--
adam85

Old May 13th 05, 10:14 AM
Joel Mayes

On 2005-05-10, adam85 wrote:

snip

Thanka adam & Peter, will give those idea a go

Cheers

Joel