Australians making sausage out of handlebar and spoke tariffs

Old November 6th 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Australians making sausage out of handlebar and spoke tariffs

Here's the 1906 Australian parliament making sausage out of handlebar
and spoke tariff-laws, with the honorable members trying hard not to
call each other liars:

http://books.google.com/books?id=nEM...K4fgswPrqbCjCQ
or http://tinyurl.com/34z3zr

My favorite line is "Manufacturing in this case means fastening
together a few imported tubes," which should posted in large print at
every local bike shop for the edification of the customers.

If you keep reading, they start to sound like an RBT thread.

Just before the bicycle tariff debate comes this priceless exchange:

"I desire to know what 'shooks' are. We ought to know what they are
before we are asked to impose a duty on them. Whatever they are, I am
satisfied that the import is decreasing."

"I do not know what 'shooks" are, any more than does the honorable
member."

Then debate begins over a proposed tariff on bicycle parts (as opposed
to complete bicycles) of 20% for British parts and 30% for others,
meaning American. The local bike shops probably hated the idea of a
parts-tariff, since they wanted to import parts cheaply and put
together bikes. The debate indicates that all the wooden rims, the
best spokes with rolled threads, and the popular brakes were all being
imported from the U.S., not from Britain.

***

"It is ridiculous to say that 10 per cent on these articles will
amount to 9s. 2d."

***

"I am assured that all the parts to which I have refered are
patented."

"Some of them are not."

***

"Has the honorable member ever known a wood rim to be made in
Australia?"

"Does the honorable member, as a protectionist, say that wood rims
cannot be made in Australia?"

***

"I do not intend to say a word."

***

"Another protectionist gone wrong!"

***

"Cheap and nasty!"

***

"The duck roller brake is an American patent. A number of cyclists
will not use any other kind of brake, because they know that a grip
brake is apt to stop the machine too suddenly. When it is applied to
the front wheel it is likely to throw the rider over the machine."

[Yes, they're talking about 1906 safety bicycles.]

***

The attempt to reduce or eliminate the tariff on bicycle parts failed,
24 to 6.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old November 6th 07, 07:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donga

http://books.google.com/books?id=nEM...4950&dq=%22man...
[...]

Fascinating - and even more interesting is that you read such arcane
stuff, Carl! Hehehe.

You (and I) will be pleased to know we (Oz) is rather more globalised
now. The duty on whole bikes is nil, and on bike parts is 5% (go
figure) (then a goods and services tax of 10% is added, regardless of
origin). I might add there is virtually nil parts manufacturing here,
but a few custom frame builders remain.

Also interesting is that in spite of the removal of tariffs, prices
have stayed high. Most Aussie cyclists 'in the know' buy their
equipment and clothing online from the UK or US (and Europe and Asia
to a lesser extent). We can land almost everything here for under 2/3
the local price, even after paying extortionate US freight rates.

Donga

Old November 6th 07, 11:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donga

On Nov 6, 5:23 pm, Donga wrote:
On Nov 6, 1:51 pm, wrote:

[...]

Oh I should mention that packages under AUD 1000 (moving near parity
with the greenback, har har) usually go under the Customs radar and
hence miss over 15% of duty and tax.

Old November 6th 07, 02:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John Henderson

Donga wrote:

I might add there is virtually nil parts manufacturing here,
but a few custom frame builders remain.

http://www.velocitywheels.com/ being "the exception which proves
the rule".

John
Old November 7th 07, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donga

On Nov 7, 12:02 am, John Henderson wrote:
Donga wrote:
I might add there is virtually nil parts manufacturing here,
but a few custom frame builders remain.

http://www.velocitywheels.com/being "the exception which proves
the rule".

John

Yes, and the very fine AYUP lights are made here too. But on Velocity
- here's a weird one. I can buy some Aeroheads online from the US for
USD 42 (or so) each, but the same rims in the place of manufacture
cost USD 101. Somehow they've been made here and crossed the world, to
go out under half price. I feel like a bit of a dick importing them,
given the factory is 10 miles away.

Not to mention the spokes that are 50c in the US are USD 1.21 here
(DT Revs), and they've had to travel from Switzerland to both
countries. It's not tax that's the difference, and LBSs universally
claim to be doing it hard. Cartel importing?

What is going on with our market?? Who's the winner?

Donga

Old November 7th 07, 10:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Aeek

On 7 Nov 2007 01:50:42 -0800, Donga
wrote:

Yes, and the very fine AYUP lights are made here too. But on Velocity
- here's a weird one. I can buy some Aeroheads online from the US for
USD 42 (or so) each, but the same rims in the place of manufacture
cost USD 101. Somehow they've been made here and crossed the world, to
go out under half price. I feel like a bit of a dick importing them,
given the factory is 10 miles away.

Not to mention the spokes that are 50c in the US are USD 1.21 here
(DT Revs), and they've had to travel from Switzerland to both
countries. It's not tax that's the difference, and LBSs universally
claim to be doing it hard. Cartel importing?

No cartels, just monopoly distribution. A consequence of being a small
market?
Old November 7th 07, 11:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Dorfus Dippintush

wrote:

Yes, and the very fine AYUP lights are made here too. But on Velocity
- here's a weird one. I can buy some Aeroheads online from the US for
USD 42 (or so) each, but the same rims in the place of manufacture
cost USD 101. Somehow they've been made here and crossed the world, to
go out under half price. I feel like a bit of a dick importing them,
given the factory is 10 miles away.

Not to mention the spokes that are 50c in the US are USD 1.21 here
(DT Revs), and they've had to travel from Switzerland to both
countries. It's not tax that's the difference, and LBSs universally
claim to be doing it hard. Cartel importing?

No cartels, just monopoly distribution. A consequence of being a small
market?

That's the same lie that Shimano pedals. If I can import Shimano stuff
from America for less than it retails here (in Australia,) you'd think
the local retailers could too.