Yet another drive-through story

Old May 31st 05, 06:23 AM
Preston Crawford

On 2005-05-31, jj wrote:
On Mon, 30 May 2005 20:07:29 -0500, Preston Crawford

On 2005-05-31, Maggie wrote:

Preston Crawford wrote:
what is so different about restaurants, that we always
hear about/experience these incidents and not other drive-througs?

Preston

Holy crap....you can't possibly live in New Jersey. I stop at the
Mickey Dee's drive thru to get coffee. Well, I did when I had a car to
drive. I would never, ever get in that line on a bicycle. It is crazy
in the morning. Everyone is in a hurry, there is a mile long line,

What would be so weird about riding a bike even in that situation? Road
ragers aside, it doesn't take any longer on a bike than in a car.

of the drive thru and its an absolute nut house. Everyone gets backed
up. The people in back of you keep inching forward while fumbling
through their purse to get their money and your lucky if they put their
brake on at all while in line.

Wouldn't they hit another car then? Weird.

You're not reading between the lines Prestion. Maggie is trying to say that
if you got in line at a McDonalds on a bike in New Jersey, that people
would not be able to restrain themselves from running you over, because,
dammit, you deserve it for doing such a dumb thing.

Maybe in New Jersey that applies. In Portland not only is it not a dumb
thing, but it's quite regular.

When are you going to realize that if you do something like wear colorful
lycra in her part of town, or ride your bike where you shouldn't in
NEWJERSEY, that people are going to either shoot you or run you over - it's
their right to do so, because, dammit, you're such a dumbass for pulling
such a stunt, and need desperately to be taught a lesson!

"Gee officer, it serves him right getting run over, and to make my point I
backed up and ran over his skinny lycra-clad butt again!"

Hope that clears it up for you. g

I get it now. Thanks.

Preston
Old May 31st 05, 10:12 AM

Maggie wrote:
Preston Crawford wrote:
what is so different about restaurants, that we always
hear about/experience these incidents and not other drive-througs?

Preston

Holy crap....you can't possibly live in New Jersey. I stop at the
Mickey Dee's drive thru to get coffee. Well, I did when I had a car to
drive. I would never, ever get in that line on a bicycle. It is crazy
in the morning. Everyone is in a hurry, there is a mile long line,
People are checking to see if they got all their food while pulling out
of the drive thru and its an absolute nut house. Everyone gets backed
up. The people in back of you keep inching forward while fumbling
through their purse to get their money and your lucky if they put their
brake on at all while in line.

Holy crap is everywhere, Maggie. From the East of New Jersey to West
of Los Angeleno. I hardly order food while on driving or driving at
bank window. I can't do two thing together and I'm not in hurry...

If your fast food lines are different, then I don't see a problem, but
if I ever saw a cyclist in the line I used to go through in the morning
I would think he or she were on a suicide mission. I'm certainly not
going through it now that I have to bike it.

Ride a bike and order a food??? That's very funny! ahhaha...

How much of a problem is it to go inside? How long does it take to
lock up the bike? In this part of the world, the drive thru lines are
jammed and if you actually take the time to get out of your car there
is no one inside the place.

BAd thing about riding a big expense bike is you have to worry your
bike and taking hour to lock up. That's why I ride a damn old cheap
bike and I don't have to lock a bike. My bike is older than a homeless
guy's bike.

I started going into the bank recently to find no one standing in line
while 44 cars were taking up three lanes of the drive thru.

What's the point about that?

Maggie.

Old May 31st 05, 10:54 AM
Maggie

jj wrote:

You're not reading between the lines Prestion. Maggie is trying to say that
if you got in line at a McDonalds on a bike in New Jersey, that people
would not be able to restrain themselves from running you over, because,
dammit, you deserve it for doing such a dumb thing.

You got it jj. So stay the hell out of Jersey. ;-) I live in a
congested area. That is what is between the lines. We have alot of
traffic and alot of people. I'm not out in the midwest where the pace
of life is slower and everyone says howdy to you when you walk down the
street. Where do you live? I wrote to Preston and said.."if his drive
thru's were different, I don't see a problem either." I was just
thinking of the safety issue on a bike around here.

Two weeks ago they filmed the first episode of "The Sopranos" in the
town where I work. They used the Funeral Parlor and another store. I
watched the filming of the Funeral. It was cool to watch but I think
that show is giving our area a bad name. Even though I love the show
and got autographs. :-)

I live in NJ and work in commercial construction....gee, I must be the
wife of Don Provolone. ;-)

Maggie

Old May 31st 05, 12:08 PM
Rich

Preston Crawford wrote:

The lady admitted she saw the irony, reiterated the imminent danger of
cyclists going through the drive-through. Which is weird because I do
this all the time without hassle at banks, pharmacies, etc. So my
question is, what is so different about restaurants, that we always
hear about/experience these incidents and not other drive-througs?

Perhaps fast food places don't want teenagers going through the drive
through on bikes, messing around, holding up the line. But since they
can't have different rules based on age, they say it's a safety issue.

Teenagers don't really visit banks and pharmacies much so those places
don't have the problem.

Rich
Old May 31st 05, 02:45 PM
Ken

"Preston Crawford" wrote in message
So my wife and I are out for a bike ride today. Getting groceries,
grabbing lunch and we decide to go by McDonalds. My wife has been
talking for a few days about how they have this fruit and yogurt salad
that's actually pretty good. So, curious, I decide I'll try it, so we
pull up through the drive through.

To make a long story short, they first refused to serve us and when I
asked why they didn't have a reason other than someone might hit us and
McDonalds would be liable (they still serve coffee, don't they?).
Eventually they said they'd serve us "just this once".

When I get to the windows I said. "Just really quick. So you know, I was
once over 400lbs. My wife was over 360lbs. We've each lost over 150lbs.
Part of how we got there was eating 20 piece McNuggets and value meals
super-sized. Now you have to understand the irony that after 5 years of
not eating at your restaurant I decide to check out something on your
menu that is healthy and you won't let me order on my bike."

The lady admitted she saw the irony, reiterated the imminent danger of
cyclists going through the drive-through. Which is weird because I do
this all the time without hassle at banks, pharmacies, etc. So my
question is, what is so different about restaurants, that we always
hear about/experience these incidents and not other drive-througs?

Preston

Nothing as good as that but the last time I went to the driveup atm I got
some strange looks!

Ken

Old May 31st 05, 05:11 PM
GaryG

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...

jj wrote:

You're not reading between the lines Prestion. Maggie is trying to say

that
if you got in line at a McDonalds on a bike in New Jersey, that people
would not be able to restrain themselves from running you over, because,
dammit, you deserve it for doing such a dumb thing.

You got it jj. So stay the hell out of Jersey. ;-)

Hell would have to freeze over before I ever considered cycling, much less
living, in Jersey (based primarily on your descriptions of it).

I live in a
congested area. That is what is between the lines. We have alot of
traffic and alot of people.

I rode for a week last year in France. The roads were narrow, and the
cities were crowded. And, yet, there were bikes everywhere with none of the
problems you describe.

Perhaps the problems in Jersey have less to do with the congestion on the
roads than they do with the mental congestion of its residents.

GG

Old May 31st 05, 05:34 PM
Steve Knight

drive through's are for lazy under timed foolish drivers. why would you want to
go through with a bike?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes
Old May 31st 05, 05:52 PM
GaryG

"Steve Knight" wrote in message
drive through's are for lazy under timed foolish drivers. why would you

want to
go through with a bike?

--
Knight-Toolworks & Custom Planes

So you don't have to worry about locking up your bike and clomping across
their tile floor on your cleats, while sweating in lycra.

--
~_-*
....G/ \G

Old May 31st 05, 06:02 PM
Maggie

GaryG wrote:

Hell would have to freeze over before I ever considered cycling, much less
living, in Jersey (based primarily on your descriptions of it).

Jersey is fabulous. I would not live anywhere else. It suits my
personality.
I am 15 minutes away from NYC but I don't have to live there, I just
jump on the parkway south to get to the great Jersey shore, and if I
want some time in the mountains, I head up north. Four seasons of fun,
close to anything you could want. We have it all. It doesn't get any
better than Jersey. ;-)

Are you buying this???

Maggie.

Old May 31st 05, 06:11 PM
GaryG

"Maggie" wrote in message
oups.com...

GaryG wrote:

Hell would have to freeze over before I ever considered cycling, much

less
living, in Jersey (based primarily on your descriptions of it).

Jersey is fabulous. I would not live anywhere else. It suits my
personality.
I am 15 minutes away from NYC but I don't have to live there, I just
jump on the parkway south to get to the great Jersey shore, and if I
want some time in the mountains, I head up north. Four seasons of fun,
close to anything you could want. We have it all. It doesn't get any
better than Jersey. ;-)

Are you buying this???

Maggie.

Not really :-).

That said, one kind find beauty in most places, if you look for it. My only
actual experience of Jersey was driving the turnpike up to NYC back in the
late 80's...from that perspective, it didn't look (or smell) very good. But
I've heard the Pine Barrens are pretty cool, and proximity to NYC is a plus
if you're into that sort of thing.

Regardless, I think I'll stay here in northern California where my bank
never complains when I ride up to their drive-through, and where I can see
snow-capped mountains from my deck.

GG