Cycle lights with Torx fasteners?

Old October 28th 08, 06:55 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Clark

Default Cycle lights with Torx fasteners?

In message
Ace wrote:

[snip]

One of the oddest things about working in Switzerland is the
recognition that Swiss people consider it perfectly normal to park
their bikes, with lights attached and expect them still to be there
when they come back. I tend to remove obviously liftable items, and
include both wheels and saddle when it's my 'good' MTB, but most folk
round here don't, and they don't even lock their bikes _to_ anything.

Quite strange, after living in Britain for 40 years, but quite
refreshing too.

Yes I too always find it refreshing to regularly see in Switzerland
cyclists pulling up outside shops and cafes on very expensive bikes and
simply leaning them against the wall and strolling off without locking
them.

Mike
--
o/ \\ // |\ ,_ o Mike Clark
\__,\\ // __o | \ / /\, "A mountain climbing, cycling, skiing,
Old October 28th 08, 09:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:35:12 +0000, Mickey Mouse
wrote:

* Clive George wrote:
IQ Fly is probably still not as bright as the brighter battery lights
(they've simply got more power to supply), but it really is rather good. I
was very impressed when I got mine about a year ago, and I'm still
impressed.

Well all sounds very interesting. Will do some homework tonight.

Adding a vote to the IQ Fly. I regularly ride overnight from London to
the seaside with a bunch of friends, aquaintences and people I've met
on the internet. Many times I've been confued with a car trying to
pass the group. They really are the business.

Hub one requires a wheel build, unless you get it in a wheel - building mine
taught me how to build wheels, but it's not a trivial task (satisfying
though). Then it's just electrical string - how are you with wires? It's not
hard stuff.

The wheel build sounds scary (what tools do I need for this) but I'm OK
with wires :-)

If, like me, you have no wheel building voodoo, you can get a Shimano
dynamo hub ready built into a rim. Mine cost, umm, around 80 quid I
think, a couple of years ago.
--
Tim
Old October 28th 08, 11:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

Old October 29th 08, 12:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message

These days with B&M and others selling usable LED front lights and
Schmidt selling the E6 for seriously dark country roads

LEDs have rendered the E6 redundant. I think even a single IQ fly beats twin
E6, and there's the Edelux and IQ Cyo (and others) if you want even more.
And yes, I ride unlit country roads pretty much exclusively.

cheers,
clive

Old October 29th 08, 02:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 22:37:42 +0100
Ace wrote:

On Tue, 28 Oct 2008 17:42:57 +0000, Mickey Mouse
wrote:

* Clive George wrote:
If you're mechanically ept, it's not too bad. You can get away
with just a spoke key - use the forks as a truing stand. The
instructions on Sheldon Brown's page are very good.

Will check tonight and see if my Haynes book has any info on this..

Forget that - http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html is _the_
definitive wheelbuilding guide.

ITYF that Jobst Brandt's "The Bicycle Wheel" is generally
acknowledged to be the definitive text.

Old October 29th 08, 03:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

wrote:

* Clive George wrote:
If you're mechanically ept, it's not too bad. You can get away
with just a spoke key - use the forks as a truing stand. The
instructions on Sheldon Brown's page are very good.

Will check tonight and see if my Haynes book has any info on this..

Forget that - http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html is _the_
definitive wheelbuilding guide.

ITYF that Jobst Brandt's "The Bicycle Wheel" is generally
acknowledged to be the definitive text.

But isn't that slightly different from being a wheelbuilding guide?

I've not read JB's book, so don't know how good it is at the practice of
wheelbuilding. I know it's got lots of wheel theory in it though...

Old October 29th 08, 03:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 03:10:15 -0000
"Clive George" wrote:

"Rob Morley" wrote in message

ITYF that Jobst Brandt's "The Bicycle Wheel" is generally
acknowledged to be the definitive text.

But isn't that slightly different from being a wheelbuilding guide?

I've not read JB's book, so don't know how good it is at the practice
of wheelbuilding. I know it's got lots of wheel theory in it
though...

It covers both theory and practice. I've only ever flicked through it
though - you don't really need to read a book to learn wheelbuilding
(although the spoke length charts in Sutherland's come in handy).

Old October 29th 08, 07:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Just zis Guy, you know?[_2_]

Old October 29th 08, 07:56 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ian Smith

Ace wrote:

Forget that - http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.html is _the_
definitive wheelbuilding guide.

ITYF that Jobst Brandt's "The Bicycle Wheel" is generally
acknowledged to be the definitive text.

But isn't that slightly different from being a wheelbuilding guide?

I've not read JB's book, so don't know how good it is at the
practice of wheelbuilding. I know it's got lots of wheel theory in
it though...

It's very good at the practice of wheelbuilding. It has that _and_
the theory, and I would say it is the definitive text on wheels and
also on wheelbuilding.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old October 29th 08, 09:55 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah

wrote:

Forget that -http://sheldonbrown.com/wheelbuild.htmlis _the_
definitive wheelbuilding guide.

--
Ace

Agree; Sheldon's instructions enabled me, a complete newbie to
building wheels,to do one. Worked well.

Peter.

Cycle lights in Kingston Sara Kirk UK 5 September 18th 08 10:58 AM
Stainless steel fasteners nobody Techniques 9 January 22nd 05 05:02 AM
Lupine lights and cycle computers Sue White UK 4 December 8th 04 09:14 PM
Security and convenience of cycle lights D.M. Procida UK 20 November 10th 04 01:52 PM
torx Matthew Paterson Mountain Biking 2 May 16th 04 05:48 PM