Riding in Snow

Old December 9th 03, 04:41 PM
Badger South

Default Riding in Snow

We received about 3 inches of snow last week on the central Va
Piedmont, covering the bike trail that I ride.

I managed to get out when the snow was first falling and it was nice,
but not as nice as walking in it; IOW, on the bike it's just like
sleet, pelting your face.

The next day I went out and tried to ride, but alas, the top layer was
slightly crunchy and grabbed my knobby tires to the point where I just
couldn't pedal. I had envisioned: knobby tires, a few inches of snow,
no problem, but experience varies.

Fortunately 1/3 of the trail is exposed to the sun, and had melted to
slush, so I was able to make about 8 repeats of that, getting in some
exercise, but it just wasn't the same. I did manage to bring home
about 1/2 gallon of mud on my outer shorts and in my socks!

This is the 4th day out and of course I'll try again, but I'm always
reminded that any day the trail is good, I'm on it, no excuses, b/c
nothings worse than wanting to ride and not being able.

Plus, it really messes up the training log! ;-)

-B

Old December 9th 03, 10:54 PM
jmcmillanut

Snow riding is a blast! We get wads of the white stuff in SLC, UT. There
are only a couple of trails in the foothills that are rideable, but the
rest of the terrain is basically unrideable until May/June (sometimes
July, if we get a good winter).

I can't get much traction if the snow is deeper than 3 inches. It's just
slip-and-slide all the way up and down. However, there are some hardcore
trail runners that will run on the foothill trails and pack it down.
Before it turns to ice, it's totally rideworthy. After it turns to ice,
it's rideable, but ride at your own risk.

I'm sure some folks reading this will ask: why would you want ride in
the snow? Here are some answers for them:

1) improved fitness -- with the bike sliding in every direction you
don't want it to go, it works your core muscles even more when you
try to maintain your balance.

2) improved bike handling -- riding in snow is slippery, and causes you
to adjust your weight more often to compensate for the slippage;
also, it improves your ability to ride through loose, sandy stuff.

3) solitude -- there just aren't that many people who will go out on a
bike in the snow.

4) bragging rights -- you are part of a small group of bad boys (and
girls) that can take the cold temperatures and soaking bike shoes

5) displaying your dedication to cycling -- you are someone who loves
riding more than just about anything. Other people may be playing
hockey, skiing, or watching the game, but you are out there kicking
ass and trying to stay upright for over a minute at a time.

I'm not sure what the winters are like in the VA-Piedmont, but if you
get over 2-3 snowy months, you might want to invest in some studded
tires. I am actually making a pair right now, since I have odd-sized
tires/wheels. I'll keep you posted on how they turn out.

Keep on chooglin'!

James

Old December 10th 03, 04:49 AM
Bernie

Badger South wrote:

[...]

Drop $20 for some good full wrap fenders and keep riding. Crusty snow
may be a problem, but slush and water will be sooo minimized. Try it
you will like it. I live on the wet coast of British Columbia, and
arouond here if you don't have fenders, then you aren't really a year
round rider.
Best regards, Bernie

Old December 10th 03, 12:15 PM
Peter Cole

"jmcmillanut" wrote in message

I'm sure some folks reading this will ask: why would you want ride in
the snow? Here are some answers for them:

www.icebike.com

P.S.

Nokian studded tires rock.

Old December 12th 03, 02:16 AM
Dick Schoeller

True dedication is a guy that I saw riding while I was walking in the big
Massachusetts snow storm this past weekend. He was on a cross bike, no
fenders but all the lights on even though it was 2 in the afternoon. I
commented loudly as he passed that he was braver than I.

--
Dick Schoeller

http://schoeller.ne.client2.attbi.com/

Old December 12th 03, 12:47 PM
Peter Cole

"Dick Schoeller" wrote in message
news
True dedication is a guy that I saw riding while I was walking in the big
Massachusetts snow storm this past weekend. He was on a cross bike, no
fenders but all the lights on even though it was 2 in the afternoon. I
commented loudly as he passed that he was braver than I.

6 of us went out that Saturday to do our regular ride (approaching a 7 year
unbroken streak). We had 6-8", temps in the 20's, winds 30+. It was actually a
lot of fun. We had no mishaps, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I've
spent the whole day outside in *much* more severe conditions, skiing. I don't
understand the reluctance to ride or the surprise at those who do, it's a
perfectly reasonable winter activity.

Old December 12th 03, 09:42 PM
Gary Smiley

Hi all
Here's a picture of Peter and some of his group doing the ride:
http://www.trailwatch.net/dec03crw.jpg
- Gary Smiley (Webmaster of the Charles River Wheelmen - http://www.crw.org )

Old December 12th 03, 10:09 PM
Dick Schoeller

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 12:47:42 +0000, Peter Cole wrote:

"Dick Schoeller" wrote in message
news
True dedication is a guy that I saw riding while I was walking in the big
Massachusetts snow storm this past weekend. He was on a cross bike, no
fenders but all the lights on even though it was 2 in the afternoon. I
commented loudly as he passed that he was braver than I.

6 of us went out that Saturday to do our regular ride (approaching a 7 year
unbroken streak). We had 6-8", temps in the 20's, winds 30+. It was actually a
lot of fun. We had no mishaps, and everyone seemed to enjoy themselves. I've
spent the whole day outside in *much* more severe conditions, skiing. I don't
understand the reluctance to ride or the surprise at those who do, it's a
perfectly reasonable winter activity.

I was not totally surprised. A friend mentioned that there was a very
long running ride that was probably out. Sounds like it must have been
your group. The guy that I saw was riding down Central Ave in Needham
on a bike with drop bars and much skinnier tires than any in the picture
of your group. I'm pretty sure his was a standard cross bike except for
the lights.

I might actually have tried riding on Saturday but my only bike has 23mm
slicks on it. I spend long periods of time out in that kind of weather
too, but I'm not too fond of playing bumper cars with plows.

--
Dick Schoeller

http://schoeller.ne.client2.attbi.com/
781.449.5476

Old December 12th 03, 10:43 PM
Rick Onanian

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003 21:42:50 GMT, Gary Smiley
wrote:
Hi all
Here's a picture of Peter and some of his group doing the ride:
http://www.trailwatch.net/dec03crw.jpg
- Gary Smiley (Webmaster of the Charles River Wheelmen - http://www.crw.org )

The guy on the right appears to have a 90cm frame and a body to fit
it.

At least none of them are riding 23c slicks on the highway shoulder
with a foot of snow.
--
Rick Onanian