Wheel weight

Old March 5th 19, 02:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Default Wheel weight

John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Mon, 4 Mar 2019 22:26:16 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2019 4:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are typical aluminum
rims.

Really? 2.8 kg is over 6 pounds. Can that be right?

Damn this is embarrassing.

After reading your post and thinking "Hey! he's right" I went out and
weighed a spare wheel. This time I took two scales and compared them.
The wheel with tire, skewer, etc. weighed 1.40kg with one scale and
1.41 with the other. When I weighed it the first time I wrote down
3.1kg.

Since normally I can read numerals pretty well I now have to try and
figure out how I went wrong :-(

--
Cheers,
John B.

Can your scale display in either pounds or kg? It looks like you measured
in lbs and reported that number as kg.

Old March 5th 19, 03:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/4/2019 9:26 PM, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/4/2019 4:58 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

Yesterday I had the front wheels off two bicycles and on
impulse I
weighed them. One bike front wheel with 23mm tire and
skewer, complete
as installed on the bike weighed 2.9Kg and the second
bike wheel,
again complete as installed, weighed 2.8Kg. The bikes are
both steel
frame road bike, not racing bikes and the wheels are
typical aluminum
rims.

Really? 2.8 kg is over 6 pounds. Can that be right?

Would this be a typical wheel weight? Heavy? Light?

Sounds typical.

Two road front wheels w/rubber & skewer shown on scale he
http://www.yellowjersey.org/frontwheel.html

SuperChampion Record w/300g tubular 2lb 7.5oz
Velocity Aerohead w/Michelin Lithion 2lb 12 oz

John was talking kilograms, not pounds. His 2.8 kg sounds
awfully heavy.

I just weighed my front wheel twice, using two different
scales. The small spring scale said 1500 grams. The digital
scale said 1540 grams. That's about 3.3 pounds.

That's a Sun CR-18 rim, Pasela 28mm tire, 36 spokes, SunTour
hub and skewer. It's a touring wheel.

Oh gosh you're right 2800g is a pair of heavy wheels.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 5th 19, 04:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, March 4, 2019 at 10:57:24 PM UTC-8, James wrote:
On 5/3/19 2:26 pm, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Agree. I think a front wheel for racing would weigh about 1 kg. At
least I think mine is close to that.

John, Here is a listing of front and rear wheel weights, typically
without a tyre mounted. Add maybe 200g for a that, for a relatively
light weight tyre.
https://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings/components.php?type=roadwheels

--
JS

The carbon clinchers: Front; 1.13 Kg Rear with 11-29 cassette; 1.58 Kg.
Old March 5th 19, 04:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

That is with tires and tubes. And the speedo magnet.
Old March 5th 19, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

Hey, we've all had to slap our foreheads at one time or another. ;-)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 6th 19, 12:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

wrote:

On 3/4/2019 6:13 PM, AMuzi wrote:
[...]

That was my original thought - I wrote the numbers backward so 1.3
became 3.1, but that turned out to be wrong as when I weighed the
second time the actual weight turned out to be 1.4. It is still a
mystery to me so for the moment I am assigning the blame to old age
:-)

--
Cheers,
John B.

Old March 6th 19, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Claus Aßmann

Default GPS (was: Wheel weight)

John B. Slocomb wrote:

I remember back when we lived on the boat the GPS would sometimes
measure the altitude at 10 feet which was about twice the height above

That's why even most GPS based cycle computers use barometric pressure
for altitude -- GPS is pretty bad for that.

--
Note: please read the netiquette before posting. I will almost never
reply to top-postings which include a full copy of the previous
Old March 6th 19, 01:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mark J.

On 3/5/2019 3:20 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Wed, 6 Mar 2019 09:41:29 +1100, James
wrote:

On 6/3/19 2:48 am, wrote:
On Tuesday, March 5, 2019 at 7:45:36 AM UTC-8, wrote:

The carbon clinchers: Front; 1.13 Kg Rear with 11-29 cassette; 1.58 Kg.

That is with tires and tubes. And the speedo magnet.

If you changed to a Garmin or other GPS based speedometer, you could
save valuable grams from the front wheel because there's no need for a
magnet.

I've always been a little skeptical about GPS calculated measurements.
I remember back when we lived on the boat the GPS would sometimes
measure the altitude at 10 feet which was about twice the height above
sea level that the receiving antenna was mounted at.

As you should be; GPS has a notoriously large margin of error for
measuring altitude.

I think it's the trigonometry of the computation; the GPS (as I
understand it) measures distance to a collection of satellites whose
positions are well known, then computes location from triangulating the
results. I'm guessing that since most of the satellites are usually not
directly overhead, but rather the line of sight to the satellite is
usually be much closer to tangential to the earth, then very small
errors in the distance-to-satellite computation turn into much larger
errors in the altitude computation.

I think this is why higher-end bike GPS's have a pressure-based
altimeter as well, to correct the fluctuations in the GPS-computed
altitude. I know my Garmin Edge's regularly solicit known altitude
input at the start of a course.

Mark J.