Please Tell Me Why They Don't Make THIS!

Old July 17th 05, 03:21 PM
NYC XYZ

Vee wrote:

This almost meets your criteria:
http://www.norco.com/05_us/bikes/vps_us.php
(Check out the Team DH.)

Reclined position, big wheels, suspension and disc brakes. I doubt you
could get down to 28 lbs, but some 26x1" tires and boutique wheels
would make it a little zippier.

-Vee

Hey, thanks, but I meant that I wanted a 'bent, a recumbent! =)

Still, I love bikes, and this is a good one to keep in mind for a later
purchase...thanks!

Old July 17th 05, 03:33 PM
Call me Bob

On 17 Jul 2005 07:06:34 -0700, "NYC XYZ"
wrote:

Hmmm...looks good...but what's the weight of the bike? Doesn't say on
Challenge's site.

The Seiran SL is quoted at 21lbs excluding seat pad and pedals.

It's currently only available with above seat steering, but Challenge
state the USS version is in development right now.

You can read a review of this bike at BentRiderOnline:

http://www.bentrideronline.com/revie...eiran%20SL.htm

The Challenge page for the model is he

http://www.challengebikes.com/html/i...ctie=seiransl#

....and the pdf document which shows all of their SL series is he

http://www.challengebikes.com/documents/sl.pdf

Nice looking bikes.

"Bob"
--

"I will refuse to register for an ID card and will donate £10
to a legal defence fund but only if 10,000 other people will

Join the Pledge !!

http://www.pledgebank.com/refuse

http://www.pledgebank.com/faq

Old July 17th 05, 03:51 PM
NYC XYZ

Call me Bob wrote:

The Seiran SL is quoted at 21lbs excluding seat pad and pedals.

Yeah, I saw that and my heart jumped, but then I remembered that that's
the premium SL version.

http://www.challengebikes.com/html/i...tie=3Dseirans=

l#

...and the pdf document which shows all of their SL series is he

http://www.challengebikes.com/documents/sl.pdf

Thanks, Bob! New to the recumbent scene, but had always been
interested...now that I've saved up a couple of thousand, I see that
that's just entry-level!

Nice looking bikes.

Yup! But the devil's in the details...!

"Bob"
--

"I will refuse to register for an ID card and will donate =A310

Old July 17th 05, 05:53 PM
Donn Cave

Quoth "NYC XYZ" :

| JeffWills wrote:
| Where have you looked?
|
| All over...the local NYC 'bent club's website's links...various
| manufacturers...the local 'bent dealer...etc.
|
| I was out for a ride with a bunch of my recumbent-riding friends. One
| of them had a Reynolds T-Bone with dual 700C wheels. From what I can
| see, these have also been made with dual-26" wheels:
| http://www.reynoldsweldlabs.com/Pict...ics2/Pics2.htm
|
| Hey, cool! Didn't know Reynolds did 26/26 USS...but you know, looking
| at those pics, I have to wonder -- what's up with the posture? I'm
| totally new to 'bents (fooled ya, huh? LOL) and craning the neck like
| that looks extremely uncomfortable!

That page is mostly racing pictures. It isn't all about a comfy ride
for these guys. The seats are adjustable, and if you look at the other
five pages, they often sit more upright. "Recumenbent" does mean "laying
down", though.

| He's also built 20"/700C bikes with USS, and he'll customize the bike
| to your tastes. There was one of these on today's ride, also.
|
| Jeff
|
| Hey, thanks for the ref! But those don't look like SWBs, which I want
| since I'm assuming those are more manuverable....

hm ... Reynolds has made a LWB model, the "Nomad", but I don't think
there are many of them and very unlikely to have been that 20"/700C bike.
(He also makes a front wheel drive bike that sounds like a killer, but
also extremely rare so far, unfortunately.) The more popular Wishbones
and T-bones are SWB.

I personally ride a LWB bike, for casual, utilitarian transportation in
an urban area. I'm not absolutely sure it is less maneuverable - since
my feet are a generous size 13, an SWB would probably give me heel strike
problems on sharp turns, so while it could theoretically have a smaller
turning radius, I can turn with more confidence on my LWB. At any rate,
it isn't a problem I notice. Meanwhile I get a very comfortable, stable
ride at any speed. The drawback is that it's long for a car-top rack.

Donn
Old July 17th 05, 06:28 PM
NYC XYZ

Donn Cave wrote:
!

That page is mostly racing pictures. It isn't all about a comfy ride
for these guys. The seats are adjustable, and if you look at the other
five pages, they often sit more upright. "Recumenbent" does mean "laying
down", though.

Which should suggest comfort...that's the main point of these bikes,
after all...why don't everyone sell a headrest option I don't know....

hm ... Reynolds has made a LWB model, the "Nomad", but I don't think
there are many of them and very unlikely to have been that 20"/700C bike.
(He also makes a front wheel drive bike that sounds like a killer, but
also extremely rare so far, unfortunately.) The more popular Wishbones
and T-bones are SWB.

The T-Bone's SWB?? Couldn't tell from the pics! On bicycleman.com,
anyway...where's the T-Bone on the website?

That new Z-Bone, though...looks interesting! What's the point to
front-wheel drive? The site says it's an improvement somehow.

I personally ride a LWB bike, for casual, utilitarian transportation in
an urban area. I'm not absolutely sure it is less maneuverable - since
my feet are a generous size 13, an SWB would probably give me heel strike
problems on sharp turns, so while it could theoretically have a smaller
turning radius, I can turn with more confidence on my LWB. At any rate,
it isn't a problem I notice. Meanwhile I get a very comfortable, stable
ride at any speed. The drawback is that it's long for a car-top rack.

Donn

I'm anywhere from a size 10.5 to a full 12 (dress shoes, sneakers,
wetshoes, boots)...didn't think about heel strike...I've yet to try out
a recumbent! Am looking forward to it soon, though...right now, I'm
still doing "recon" -- so thanks for all your advice!

Old July 17th 05, 08:48 PM
Arnold Ligtvoet

NYC XYZ wrote:
Call me Bob wrote:

The Seiran SL is quoted at 21lbs excluding seat pad and pedals.

Yeah, I saw that and my heart jumped, but then I remembered that that's
the premium SL version.

The 'normal' Seiran is quoted at 15.5 kilo's (34 lbs), however the site
(at least the Dutch one) also mentions a 'sport' version at 12.3 kilo's
(27.06 lbs). This meets your requirements with regards to weight, right?

Arnold.
Old July 17th 05, 09:00 PM
Buck

On 07/17/2005 15:06:34 "NYC XYZ" wrote:

Hmmm...looks good...but what's the weight of the bike? Doesn't say on
Challenge's site.

(And thanks for the ref! I saw this on bicycleman.com but I had seen a
picture of the OSS variant only.)

The weight is on the price list, 27lbs with fairly unexotic components.

Could get the weight down more I expect.

--

Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

http://www.catrike.co.uk
Old July 17th 05, 11:07 PM
JeffWills

NYC XYZ wrote:
JeffWills wrote:

Hey, cool! Didn't know Reynolds did 26/26 USS...but you know, looking
at those pics, I have to wonder -- what's up with the posture? I'm
totally new to 'bents (fooled ya, huh? LOL) and craning the neck like
that looks extremely uncomfortable!

Some people can take some can't. Some people adjust to it, some don't.
YMMV, PhD, ROTFL...

My friend who owns the 20/700 USS T-Bone rode it in the 500+ mile Race
Across Oregon as part of a relay team. (His son owns the dual-700
T-Bone- nice family.) He had no problems training for the event- many
times riding centuries day-after-day.

BTW: all of the Reynolds bikes qualify as "SWB": the front wheel is
behind the cranks. That distiguishes them from "LWB" bikes, which have
the front wheel in front of the cranks. Actual wheelbase measurements
don't have a lot to do with the "SWB" and "LWB" designations. (And you
though uprights had their quirks...)

BTW2: The RAO relay team won the event outright, riding against some
pretty decent upright teams. Here's the Bentrideronline thread about
the event:
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messa...ad.php?t=10065

Jeff

Old July 18th 05, 04:36 AM
NYC XYZ

Arnold Ligtvoet wrote:

The 'normal' Seiran is quoted at 15.5 kilo's (34 lbs), however the site
(at least the Dutch one) also mentions a 'sport' version at 12.3 kilo's
(27.06 lbs). This meets your requirements with regards to weight, right?

Arnold.

Yes, thank you...makes me wonder, though: what's the point of all that
aluminum on the "normal" Seiran if it's all of 34 lbs. like any
chromoly affair?

I'll probably have to save up all winter for buying the "SL" Seiran
next spring....

Old July 18th 05, 04:44 AM
NYC XYZ

Buck wrote:

The weight is on the price list, 27lbs with fairly unexotic components.

Could get the weight down more I expect.

They distinguish between what appears to be a "no-frills" "sports
weight" and a more likely quotidian "average weight" of 27 and 34
pounds, respectively.

What's the point of all that aluminum if it weighs like some chromoly
'bent??

And why does the "SL" version have a disc brake for the front only???