getting rid of the creak in my burley limbo.

Old July 27th 05, 02:52 AM
Steve knight

Default getting rid of the creak in my burley limbo.

I have battled the creak the squeak and the slip on my burley limbo.
The squeak was the shock pivot the slip was the seat sliding back and
the creak was the seat. The squeak that sounded like a couple going
at it in an old car was easy with grease or a spritz of lube on the
shock pivots till I removed the shock.
Stopping the seat from sliding and creaking was a battle. I had to
tighten the quick release so tight that the shafts bend and the seat
frame bowed in. the seat still wanted to slide back and I fixed that
by drilling and tapping holes through the seat clamp block and using
setscrews.
Well that worked till it rained hard and the creaking came back. I
found the front quick release was a bit loose.
But the seat bracket kept bending in. so today I said the hell with
it took the seat off bent the metal back reamed the holes so I could
use a ¼" bolt in them used washers to get them to 1" and when I slid
the seat in place I also used this silicone glue on the blocks to make
sure they stay in place. Tightened it down and no bending this time
and no creaking anymore.

Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes
Old July 27th 05, 07:03 PM
Mike

Burley replaced the 'clamp blocks' a few years ago on the Limbo (maybe others
too.) Are yours plastic or metal (aluminum)? If they are plastic have the
dealer replace them with the metal. But then the seat may not slide much at
all. But unless you let others try out your bike you may not want to adjust
the seat much anyway.

As for the creaking. Check the 'chain stays' (swing arm to an old m-cycle
rider). Check it carefully from the bottom! (or turn the bike over.) Look for
signs of cracking. So far I've had two of them break. The latest was after
only 6300 miles on it (about 3 years). It breaks right about the braze-ons
for the rack, just forward of the shock mount. I don't know how long the first
lasted, but Burley did have a recall about 3 years ago.

mike

Old July 28th 05, 06:52 AM
Steve knight

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 18:03:10 GMT, Mike wrote:

Burley replaced the 'clamp blocks' a few years ago on the Limbo (maybe others
too.) Are yours plastic or metal (aluminum)? If they are plastic have the
dealer replace them with the metal. But then the seat may not slide much at
all. But unless you let others try out your bike you may not want to adjust
the seat much anyway.

the newest have aluminum in the front and rubber in the back. I was
too lazy to change the back whenI got soem aluminum replacements and
new quick releases from burley. by that time I had used setscrews to
keep the seat in place. but I doubt even both aluminum would have been
enough in this case.

As for the creaking. Check the 'chain stays' (swing arm to an old m-cycle
rider). Check it carefully from the bottom! (or turn the bike over.) Look for
signs of cracking. So far I've had two of them break. The latest was after
only 6300 miles on it (about 3 years). It breaks right about the braze-ons
for the rack, just forward of the shock mount. I don't know how long the first
lasted, but Burley did have a recall about 3 years ago.

my bike is a 2004 model. the creak was in the seat. nwo that the
bolts are in place the bike is now quet. well once in awhile I get a
creak but it's nto the same thing. plus the seat has not moved back at
all now. I don't slide the seat around anymore so it is no big deal if
I can't adjust it easily.
but it's wierd am I the only one that had problems with the seat?
Old July 31st 05, 07:26 PM
Servojohn

I've got some minor creaking, but I am pretty sure it's in the steering
column. I just have to clean it out and probably put some grease on
it.

Best regards,

John
'01 Limbo with plastic seat bits, and some arcing in the seat qr
skewers.

Old July 31st 05, 08:56 PM
Steve knight

On 31 Jul 2005 11:26:50 -0700, "Servojohn"
wrote:

I've got some minor creaking, but I am pretty sure it's in the steering
column. I just have to clean it out and probably put some grease on
it.

yes I thought some was there too but now that I have the seat fixed it
seems to have stopped.
Old August 1st 05, 05:32 PM
Servojohn

Steve,

Didn't I read that you replaced your Burley seat with a Rans? Did you
use the one from Calhoun Cycles, or modify your own?

Best regards,

John

Old August 2nd 05, 06:57 AM
Steve knight

On 1 Aug 2005 09:32:27 -0700, "Servojohn"
wrote:

Steve,

Didn't I read that you replaced your Burley seat with a Rans? Did you
use the one from Calhoun Cycles, or modify your own?

got the calhoun. a far better replacement and far more adjustment
range too.
Knight-Toolworks
http://www.knight-toolworks.com
affordable handmade wooden planes

review: 2005 Burley Django enrique Recumbent Biking 1 July 27th 05 12:40 AM
Burley alternate hitch LSMike UK 0 March 31st 05 04:59 PM
Improving shifting on my burley limbo? Steve Knight Recumbent Biking 32 November 9th 04 01:59 AM
Bent / Burley Limbo questions Cletus Recumbent Biking 13 June 26th 04 12:27 AM
Burley Tandem Question Please Bob Newman General 3 September 24th 03 06:08 PM