No, it's not an Uzi

Old January 31st 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default No, it's not an Uzi

This seat only looks like an Uzi submachine gun patent:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=aJt...q=606455&jtp=1

A similar two-arm suspension seat:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=oH1...PA19&dq=568977

***

This seat only looks like a two-burner electric stove-top:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=91I...PA29&dq=620284

***

This sturdy seat design may have Chalo in mind:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=KTp...=PP1&dq=651277

***

The famous Pedersen seat:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=Lxo...PA31&dq=618613

Pryor Dodge's "The Bicycle" shows the the Pedersen silk-cord seat,
with a frame pump:
http://i27.tinypic.com/i6h93a.jpg

"Contrary to prevailing design practice, Mikael Pedersen, a Dane
living in Dursley, England, conceived his bicycle starting with the
saddle. After making an extremely comfortable hammock of woven
silk-covered cords, he found that it would not fit in a conventional
frame and so in 1893 he developed what was mistakenly called a
'cantilever' frame."

A Pedersen:
http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/dp_history_img/dp3.jpg

Pedersen's explanation of how his seat wagged the frame:
http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/dp_history.html

The seat and frame design that Pedersen avoided:
http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/dp_history.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old January 31st 08, 07:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:06:03 -0700, wrote:

The seat and frame design that Pedersen avoided:
http://www.dursley-pedersen.net/dp_history.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Oops! Another careless cut-and-paste. Here's the seat and frame design
that Pedersen avoided:
http://www.google.com/patents?id=LAN...=PA1&dq=446355

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old January 31st 08, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Nakashima

wrote in message

Oops! Another careless cut-and-paste.
Cheers,
Carl Fogel

Yup, sure are a lot of cut and paste....
as if RBT is looking for a research monitor assistant.
How about posting some of your own bicycle experiences for a change.
-tom

Old January 31st 08, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:10:18 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .

Oops! Another careless cut-and-paste.
Cheers,
Carl Fogel

Yup, sure are a lot of cut and paste....
as if RBT is looking for a research monitor assistant.
How about posting some of your own bicycle experiences for a change.
-tom

Dear Tom,

I can't quite put my thumb--

Er, my finger on what's changed your attitude.

:-)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old January 31st 08, 08:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Nakashima

wrote in message
On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 12:10:18 -0800, "Tom Nakashima"
wrote:

wrote in message
. ..

Oops! Another careless cut-and-paste.
Cheers,
Carl Fogel

Yup, sure are a lot of cut and paste....
as if RBT is looking for a research monitor assistant.
How about posting some of your own bicycle experiences for a change.
-tom

Dear Tom,

I can't quite put my thumb--

Er, my finger on what's changed your attitude.

:-)

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Well I would pull your thumb out.....and start clicking on your own post.
It's all "cut & paste" experience, products, and examples.
Perhaps others here are looking for a research assistant....not me.
I would much rather hear about your own experiences in the technical
field of cycling, like "pinging" a tire to check pressure.
-tom

Old February 1st 08, 04:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
"Tom Nakashima" wrote:

wrote in message

Oops! Another careless cut-and-paste.
Cheers,
Carl Fogel

Yup, sure are a lot of cut and paste....
as if RBT is looking for a research monitor assistant.
How about posting some of your own bicycle experiences for a change.
-tom

Screw that! I can read any number of bicycle experiences here. But only
one person is willing to do the legwork to excavate what amounts to a
delightful stream of mad mechanical history from the secret archives of
cycling.

Moreover, Carl has often shared his bicycle experiences. He talks about
his rides (from both a technical and aesthetic point of view) all the
time, shares photos from same, and generally tells us more than we could
want to know about riding in Colorado.

Also, I suspect that this being the cold season in Colorado, he's
probably a bit cabin feverish now. I'll forgive a fair bit on that basis
alone, but as it happens, I liiiike Carl's history research.

Right now, I'm trying to find more databases to point him at. He says
the Harper's Weekly is the Holy Grail.

For my part, I just found out my library at work has a collection of
original Life magazines going back to the 1930s. Just the smell is
wonderful! I wonder if I'll find any bike treats?

Old February 1st 08, 06:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 01 Feb 2008 04:38:19 GMT, Ryan Cousineau
wrote:

Also, I suspect that this being the cold season in Colorado, he's
probably a bit cabin feverish now. I'll forgive a fair bit on that basis
alone, but as it happens, I liiiike Carl's history research.

Right now, I'm trying to find more databases to point him at. He says
the Harper's Weekly is the Holy Grail.

Dear Ryan,

Actually, no cabin fever. This January is much milder than last year,
with 24 rides this January and only 3 flat--

Er, only 4 flat tires.

My front tire held air nicely all month long, but it was getting hard
to ignore the odd little damp patches around a few holes.

My theory was that the damp patches were just a little Slime from
previous flats that I hadn't cleaned up inside the tire--the excess
was working out through the holes in the tire as I rode, right? The
tire held air, right?

Tonight I pulled the tube and found three small punctures.

As for Harper's Weekly, yes, the weekly ran issues during the bike
boom devoted to nothing but bicycles. Alas, Harper's Weekly isn't
available on the internet and my library hasn't got it on microfilm.

However, Harper's Monthly up through 1899 ran bicycle articles and can
be found here, along with lots of other old magazines:
http://cdl.library.cornell.edu/moa/moa_browse.html

Sheldon pointed the site out a while ago. It includes Scientific
American 1846-1869--alas, too early for anything but velocipedes.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel