Cassette type sprockets.

Old April 19th 15, 06:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_7_]

Default Cassette type sprockets.

Sir Ridesalot schreef op 19-4-2015 om 3:35:
On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 9:22:16 PM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 3:38:39 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:
"AMuzi" wrote in message
On 4/18/2015 11:42 AM, Ian Field wrote:

wrote in message
Try here...ask

http://www.loosescrews.com/

https://www.biketoolsetc.com/

I had a similar prob but cannot remember whether the pin
came out or not ......the one with the pin isnot in the
tool box AFAIK

An email in my inbox from the bicycle shop has informed me
that the tool I have fits the cassette locking ring as well.

When I tried that tool it slipped into the lockring spline,
but the fit didn't look right somehow - the obvious thing to
do was ask someone who knows rather than wade in and ruin
the tool.

The tool was bough for use with solid axles, so it will
accommodate both axle types.

The UG freewheel spline (nearly universal across current freewheel brands
now)is similar but not identical to the HG cassette pattern. It's either
one or the other, cannot be both.

Am I right in assuming the cassette lockring isnt driven tighter by torque
from the chain?

The tool I bought for sprocket/freewheel assemblies slots into the lockring,
but I thought the fit didn't look exactly quite right - I emailed the
bicycle shop and they said it should be OK.

For others interested in this; the cassette lock ring tightness is NOT affected by the chain.

Sometimes a freewheel removal tool will fit into a cassette lockring but will sometimes be a tight fit. That tight fit sometimes means that the tool has to be vigourously tapped to get it to disengage after the lockring is tightened.

Cheers

Addendum

BTW, you do NOT need any locktite on a cassette lockring nor do you need to reef on it to tighten it. I've seen people rip some of the threads out of a cassette body because tthey tried to super tighten tthe lockring.

Tighten to spec. That is 40 Nm and that is a considerable torque. If not
the the cassette could be a source of creaks and clicks which most
people have a hard time to locate.

Lou
Old April 19th 15, 11:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

wrote in message
[...]

40 Nm.... about the same as an 18mm sparkplug :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 19th 15, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 12:15:11 AM UTC-4, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 10:05:50 PM UTC-4, wrote:
nnnnnnnnnnnnnn

BTW, you do NOT need any locktite on a cassette lockring nor do you need to reef on it to tighten it. I've seen people rip some of the threads out of a cassette body because tthey tried to super tighten the lockring.

Locktite holds the fastener in place with a reduced torque

REDUCED TORQUE

get with the program

Geeze Gene, it's just a lock ring and it doesn't require a lot of torque to tighten. What's with you and locktite; or having to use heat to remove so many sumple things?

Cheers

with your body frozen most of the year we can excuse your insensitivities to lockring threading. In warmer climates, home mechanics often notice difficulty threading Shimnano HG rings.

heat is good. There is a Mapp gas O2 torch kit is the box. An alternative I use on lug nuts is CRC electronic cleaner spraying acetic plus silicone maybe.

On lockrings, using Loctite is a finesse

there exists a voluble group of anti-locktite reactionaries...

if you write LOCKTITE ....10 anti lockers will crawl out from the Bushes to rant abt NOT using Locktite

as if using Locktite is a full negative eg torque the head without a torgue wrench.
Old April 19th 15, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ian field

wrote in message
aw your brain is frozen solid...

Loctite LUBES threading so the ring engages cleanly then powders when
removed again LUBING the unthreading.

The thing I'd have in mind here; thread lock inhibits corrosion.

Normally I'd use Coppaslip, but I'm getting the impression that may not be
the way to go with cassette lockrings.

Old April 19th 15, 09:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, April 19, 2015 at 3:57:07 PM UTC-4, Ian Field wrote:
wrote in message
aw your brain is frozen solid...

Loctite LUBES threading so the ring engages cleanly then powders when
removed again LUBING the unthreading.

The thing I'd have in mind here; thread lock inhibits corrosion.

Normally I'd use Coppaslip, but I'm getting the impression that may not be
the way to go with cassette lockrings.

the area is heavily chain lubed....I should look at my cyclocrosser hung off the bus for 6 years...
Old May 4th 15, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,free.usenet,free.spirit
John Doe[_3_]

Hyperactive troll...

--

Newsgroups: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 19:03:59 -0700 (PDT)
References: QMUXw.226006$9c1.145548 fx41.am4 mgpaen$u9c$1 dont-email.me mgpkr7$8go$1 dont-email.me 781b36ec-1ea4-4956-acd0-ef21a523198d googlegroups.com _QdYw.285967$EO7.211211 fx32.am4 b1657551-3bdb-4d50-8d4c-ddd66ea113f0 googlegroups.com 1QvYw.211661$qW.200460 fx20.am4 mgu3t9$qkq$1 dont-email.me %oyYw.235460$_r1.93140 fx39.am4 10afce6f-4ec8-4a9b-903f-e38dcac6c1a0 googlegroups.com d996d4ee-8db6-4495-9d4d-5a7afdbe634a googlegroups.com
Subject: Cassette type sprockets.
From: avagadro7 gmail.com

aw your brain is frozen solid...

Loctite LUBES threading so the ring engages cleanly then powders when removed again LUBING the unthreading.

LUBE not grease.

Shimano Cassette Sprockets and Spacers manxkiwi Techniques 6 November 26th 07 07:00 PM
two sprockets Unicyclist of Oz Unicycling 10 June 3rd 06 11:40 PM
Fixed sprockets Danny Colyer UK 5 May 28th 04 09:39 PM
XTR sprockets Erik Lindeberg UK 4 April 12th 04 03:52 PM
wiggling sprockets Robin Walker UK 11 January 19th 04 06:44 PM