Bikes Direct Motobecane Mirage Sport Mixte

Old May 6th 15, 12:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
john B.

Default Bikes Direct Motobecane Mirage Sport Mixte

On Wed, 06 May 2015 00:15:47 -0300, Joy Beeson
wrote:

On Tue, 5 May 2015 13:11:50 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

Some are better than others. I got a box of pins from somewhere, and
used about 200 of them (next time, I'll buy opened pins...) pinning
the selvedges of a 10 yard long piece of fabric together so I could
wash it. A large percentage of them failed in the washing machine;
about 10% lost their heads, and about 10% came open. The remaining
pins were fine, and have continued to work without a single failure.
I expect the machine (or its die) that crimps the head on is worn out, and not
doing it right.

I was about to pin the edges of a piece of jersey I intended to spray
with starch, so they couldn't curl when they got wet. As I was
wondering whether I needed to get my reserve pins out of the foot
locker, I suddenly realized that a needle is as easy to stick as a pin
-- so I *basted* the edges together. It was as easy as pinning, and I
didn't have to take it out.

My wife and my mother nearly came to blows over the pinning-basting
question with my wife insisting that the only proper way to fit a
dress was to baste it together while my mother insisted, just as
strongly, that was foolish and it was much quicker and easier to
simply pin it together.

They never did resolve that problem and both my father and I avowed
that we didn't even understand what they were talking about :-)
--
cheers,

John B.

Old May 6th 15, 07:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

wrote:

[...]

I find attaching safety pins much easier than hand sewing, even hand
sewing htat doesn't have to be neat. And I'm pretty sure that It
would take a lot of stitching to keep 10 yards of denim together in
the washing machine. Easier to do it with the machine, except for the
thought of ripping out 10 yards of stitching!

The only thing I stich by hand are buttons and key hole buttonholes,
as on a pair of jeans.

--
sig 57