Carry On About Steel

Old November 20th 16, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Carry On About Steel

On 11/19/2016 2:19 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 2:28:20 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
By the way, my current steel bike is marching on for ten years and I expect it to see me out. It wasn't built stupid-light, though.

Andre Jute
Not a fashion victim

My Eddy Merckx and Basso are 30 years old and I expect them to last long after I'm dead and gone. And no jokes about them killing me.......

OK, who here has the oldest bike they ride regularly? What is it?

Mine's a 1972 Raleigh Super Course. It was my first decent 10 speed,
and for years my only bike. It was used for recreation, commuting and
touring. It's now my utility and night riding bike.

(It was once on the cover of Bicycling! magazine.)

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 20th 16, 09:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Use is way down post TDF n now Zika spraying while new n longer boat is way up
Old November 20th 16, 01:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Frank Krygowski wrote in
news
On 11/19/2016 2:19 PM, wrote:
On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 2:28:20 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
By the way, my current steel bike is marching on for ten years and I
expect it to see me out. It wasn't built stupid-light, though.

Andre Jute
Not a fashion victim

My Eddy Merckx and Basso are 30 years old and I expect them to last
long after I'm dead and gone. And no jokes about them killing
me.......

OK, who here has the oldest bike they ride regularly? What is it?

Mine's a 1972 Raleigh Super Course. It was my first decent 10 speed,
and for years my only bike. It was used for recreation, commuting and
touring. It's now my utility and night riding bike.

(It was once on the cover of Bicycling! magazine.)

I still have a Raleigh Lenton Sports which came in five and 10-speed guises.
I got it in 1972 for a tour of England and Wales. It came with crap Huret
derailleurs. I ditched everything Sturmey-Archer. The only original part of
it I miss is its Wright saddle, which was quite comfortable. It's still my
fixed-gear "hack" for crappy weather, and I run on 700C tubs rather than
26". It was never good enough to find its way onto the cover of a cycling
magazine.

My other is a 1972 Torpado Corsa, which was a decent club bike in its day,
and still a treat to ride, hence my query the other day about NR cones.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old November 20th 16, 03:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/20/2016 8:12 AM, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
Frank Krygowski wrote in
news
On 11/19/2016 2:19 PM, wrote:
[...]

The bike's pedigree wasn't a qualification for the cover shot. My son
was riding a Huffy with 24" wheels on that trip. Huffy bikes were
nothing to brag about.

It was an atmospheric shot of our three loaded bikes leaning against a
stone wall in the Lake District.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 21st 16, 02:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Sat, 19 Nov 2016 22:02:54 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

OK, who here has the oldest bike they ride regularly? What is it?

Mine's a 1972 Raleigh Super Course. It was my first decent 10 speed,
and for years my only bike. It was used for recreation, commuting and
touring. It's now my utility and night riding bike.

I don't know just how old my only bike is. (The Trek Pure doesn't
count -- it's a pedal-powered wheelchair/granny walker.) I ride a
Fuji Grand Tourer my spouse bought after I stole his Raleigh Carleton.
This had to have been after 1969 and before 1980.

He'd given up riding by the time the bushing in the brake bridge on
the Carleton pulled out, or he may have been riding his Raleigh Pro at
the time, so we transferred all my components.

(Chronic amnesia is often a pain. I had a department-store bike when
we lived in the duplex on Nimitz, but don't recall how I acquired it,
why it is no longer around, or where we kept it. I have a clear
picture of the special laundry bag I made for riding to the
laundromat, but don't remember how it worked.)

--
Joy Beeson
joy beeson at comcast dot net

Carry on Dan O Techniques 4 September 14th 14 06:12 AM
Do you carry a gun while out on a ride? KingOfTheApes Rides 24 June 22nd 08 03:55 AM
How many of you carry [email protected] Australia 42 February 15th 07 04:22 AM
Always carry identification Tom or Mary General 34 July 25th 05 09:25 PM
do you carry ID? aeek Australia 40 July 14th 04 11:27 PM