Patina

Old January 6th 17, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

Default Patina

Seems like every bike on CL has a patina.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20bik%20patina

What is a patina, anyway, and how do I know if my bike has one?
Is it in the crank, or the headset, or somewhere else?
Can I put an aftermarket patina on a bike that didn't come with one from the factory?
Does Oval Concepts make one?

Old January 6th 17, 12:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/5/2017 6:40 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

Seems like every bike on CL has a patina.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20bik%20patina

What is a patina, anyway, and how do I know if my bike has one?
Is it in the crank, or the headset, or somewhere else?
Can I put an aftermarket patina on a bike that didn't come with one from the factory?
Does Oval Concepts make one?

I like bikes with both patina and cachet. Nothing beats the ride of cachet.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old January 6th 17, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Thu, 5 Jan 2017 18:52:22 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 1/5/2017 6:40 PM, Doug Landau wrote:

Seems like every bike on CL has a patina.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20bik%20patina

What is a patina, anyway, and how do I know if my bike has one?
Is it in the crank, or the headset, or somewhere else?
Can I put an aftermarket patina on a bike that didn't come with one from the factory?
Does Oval Concepts make one?

I like bikes with both patina and cachet. Nothing beats the ride of cachet.

Is that grungy red stuff I see everywhere the paint is chipped on my
antique iron bike considered "patina"? It certainly seems to qualify
as "a fine coating of oxide on the surface of a metal" as my
dictionary describes it :-

--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 6th 17, 04:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

Doug Landau writes:

Seems like every bike on CL has a patina.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20bik%20patina

What is a patina, anyway, and how do I know if my bike has one?
Is it in the crank, or the headset, or somewhere else?
Can I put an aftermarket patina on a bike that didn't come with one from the factory?
Does Oval Concepts make one?

Naval Jelly -- patina in a jar.

Old January 6th 17, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Chipped paint ...3 colors Rustoleum ...is covered with more paint as available. Chainsaws n generally bottom areas dabbed with linseed oil

RED YELLOW WHITE322222

PATINA
Old January 6th 17, 12:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

do we have an app allowing direct contact with the sPell checker ...aptly named

The color patina surface comes off like a plane tree.
Old January 7th 17, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Fri, 06 Jan 2017 07:51:53 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Is that grungy red stuff I see everywhere the paint is chipped on my
antique iron bike considered "patina"? It certainly seems to qualify
as "a fine coating of oxide on the surface of a metal" as my
dictionary describes it :-

Rust seems to be a rather popular bicycle color and finish,
https://www.google.com/search?q=rusty+bicycle&tbm=isch
although I suspect some of these are really aluminum or CF frames,
that were painted with rust colored paint.

Instead of waiting for the remaining paint to flake off and produce
the highly desirable patina, simply paint those areas to match:

"SPRAY ON RUST PAINT"
http://www.sprayonrustpaint.co.uk/
http://customcreationpaints.co.uk/coating

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old January 7th 17, 01:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

https://www.google.com/search?site=i...k1.EHlSVBPq4Io
Old January 10th 17, 07:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, January 5, 2017 at 3:40:45 PM UTC-8, Doug Landau wrote:
Seems like every bike on CL has a patina.

https://www.google.com/webhp?sourcei...20bik%20patina

What is a patina, anyway, and how do I know if my bike has one?
Is it in the crank, or the headset, or somewhere else?
Can I put an aftermarket patina on a bike that didn't come with one from the factory?
Does Oval Concepts make one?

You know you have one if you need a Rust Buster.