Shoe Repair and Lake and Louis Garneau heat moldable soles

Old February 1st 08, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chris M

Default Shoe Repair and Lake and Louis Garneau heat moldable soles

I am looking at a new set of cycling shoes to replace my backup DMTs.
I am in good shape with Northwave Aerators and I can always get
another pair but after seeing 2 pair of carbon fiber shoes fail at the
sole, I wonder if I need to spend more and get shoes that can be
repaired and expected to last longer. I usually have 2 or 3 pairs of
shoes in rotation and I think they should last more than 2 years
(considering that any pair is at most used 10 hours a week). In the
past, shoes wore out by getting beat up and the Velcro would lose its
effectiveness. I would often give them away as they reached a point
where there was no need in the rotation. These DMTs are the first time
I ever wore cycling shoes to the point that they are no longer
useable. They seem to be excellent quality other than the sole
separation. I think the design (1 piece heel and arch compression) is
definitely among the best available.

The only thing that could be improved (besides lasting longer) would
be to have custom fitted shoes. The better the fit and the stiffer the
sole, the less tension along the top of the foot is needed.
Considering this, the Lake and Louis Garneau shoes with carbon fiber
heat moldable soles (if they can be repaired or somehow kept in
service for at least 3 years), would be great to have. I don't think I
will see a better ventilated shoe than the Aerators, but using them on
the hottest days and a pair of Lake CX400 would be ideal for the other
days if I can depend on them to at least be repairable and last as I
said.

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated (including how to
repair the DMT soles with the right kind of epoxy or similar
material).

TIA
Old February 1st 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 1, 4:28*am, Chris M wrote:
[...]

FWIW, the Lake is only heat moldable in the heel area.

Clearly you use your shoes a lot, but I'm curious how they get so beat
up.

Joseph