how to replace tire studs (Schwalbe Marathon Winter)?

Old January 29th 12, 03:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei

Default how to replace tire studs (Schwalbe Marathon Winter)?

After two months the Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded tires on my
everyday bike have lost 11 spikes/studs (8 in the front, 3 in back). I
bought some replacement studs, but have had no luck fitting them back
into the holes in the tires. Schwalbe says to just use a pliers to to
this, and Nokian sells a special tool for their tires. A pliers or
visegrip didn't work at all for me, nor did something that I made from a
piece of metal tube that seemed as though it should work like the Nokian
tool. Is there some trick to this? Any advice would be greatly
appreciated.

Incidentally, I followed Schwalbe's advice to put in an initial 50 km on
pavement, and have avoided abrupt braking. In fact, this winter there
hasn't yet been an icy day here, so everything has been on pavement or
on hard-packed forest roads. On the front tire there is one place where
three spikes in a row are missing, and I don't like the thought of
stopping on ice (whenever winter finally sets in) and having the wheel
finally lock exactly at that place. The Nokian "Mount and Ground"
studded tires I have on another bike haven't lost any spikes at all.

Ned
Old January 30th 12, 08:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei

In article ,
Ned Mantei wrote:

[...]

To answer my own question in case someone else might have this problem:
The trick was to smear some thick soap solution on/in the hole in the
tire before inserting the spike.I used a something made for easy
mounting of tires on recalcitrant rims, but I am sure that any thick
soap solution would work.I also used a vise grip and a bit of metal tube
that fit around the spike, leaving the base free (sort of like grabbing
a thumbtack by the pointy end). With this it was easy to start at one
side of the base and twist it in. And all just in time: It's snowing now
and it should be below freezing for the rest of the week.

Ned
Old January 31st 12, 02:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

hmmmm i'd swear epoxy would be the answer but ?

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&h...w=1152&bih=614

Old January 31st 12, 02:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
kolldata

On Jan 30, 7:42*pm, kolldata wrote:
hmmmm i'd swear epoxy would be the answer but ?

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&h...utput=search&s...

Site upgrade
http://www.conti-online.com/generato...keclaw_en.html

Schwals competitor

ask here, mnts of info

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&h...w=1152&bih=614

if you tried removing impacted steel from rubber as coming from the
factory….its very difficult
unless the part falls off on the Sahara

Wal sells rubber-steel epoxy. Surface prep is essential like gouging
clean of dirt/oxides then flushing with CHOH
Old January 2nd 13, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks for the tip!

I used a lubricating hand sanitizer, it works like soap but dries up once the alcohol evaporates. Worked like a charm on my Schwalbe tyres using the tool that is provided with replacement studs.

I think if you dont have a tool, a screwdriver with interchangeable bits might work... Otherwise you can buy a set of replacement studs from Schwalbe that includes a tool for the job, I'm sure a similar package can be bought from other manufacturers.

//D

On Monday, January 30, 2012 9:14:48 PM UTC+1, Ned Mantei wrote:
In article ,

Old December 24th 13, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:35:24 AM UTC-5, Ned Mantei wrote:
[...]

You folks are cracking me up. I used the tool and studs provided by Schwalbe and the worlds oldest lubricant - saliva. Worked great!
Old December 24th 13, 05:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

You folks are cracking me up. I used the tool and studs provided by Schwalbe and the worlds oldest lubricant - saliva. Worked great!

^^^^^^^^^^^

https://www.google.com/search?site=i....jzG GdrDufmI
Old December 25th 13, 11:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:35:24 AM UTC-5, Ned Mantei wrote:

Incidentally, I followed Schwalbe's advice to put in an initial 50 km on

pavement, and have avoided abrupt braking. In fact, this winter there

hasn't yet been an icy day here, so everything has been on pavement or

on hard-packed forest roads. On the front tire there is one place where

three spikes in a row are missing, and I don't like the thought of

stopping on ice (whenever winter finally sets in) and having the wheel

finally lock exactly at that place. The Nokian "Mount and Ground"

studded tires I have on another bike haven't lost any spikes at all.

Ned

What are your riding habits? I got 3 years from a set doing daily
commuting with no lost studs. Set #2 has a couple hundred miles on it
and no lost studs.

So far almost all riding has been on pavement.
Old December 25th 13, 04:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
David Scheidt

:
[...]

I rode a couple winters ago using a pair of marathon winters, in
700X35. They shed a whole bunch of studs. One of them lost 15 or so,
the other a few less. there was a bunch of grmbling that year about
that particular tire in that particular size. I'e bought
replacements, but haven't isntalled any. I haven't mounted the tires
since. The last two years have been on Nokkian W-lots-of-studs in
700X40ish. They have gone lots more miles without losing a stud.

--
sig 29
Old December 25th 13, 10:45 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
somebody[_2_]

On Wed, 25 Dec 2013 16:36:44 +0000 (UTC), David Scheidt
wrote:

somebody wrote:
[...]

I use 26x1.75. No problems with that size.

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Trevor A Panther UK 67 November 26th 09 10:52 AM
Schwalbe Marathon Just zis Guy, you know? UK 7 May 7th 08 06:47 PM
Thornproof tire service report: Bontrager Satellite Elite Hardcaseand Schwalbe Marathon Plus Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 0 May 5th 08 03:15 PM
Schwalbe: Marathon+ or XR sothach UK 6 October 29th 05 07:15 PM
Schwalbe Marathon XR: Yay or Nay? Brian UK 8 November 22nd 04 07:05 PM