how to replace tire studs (Schwalbe Marathon Winter)?

Old December 26th 13, 11:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ned Mantei

Default how to replace tire studs (Schwalbe Marathon Winter)?

On 24.12.13, 5:07 PM, wrote:
On Sunday, January 29, 2012 10:35:24 AM UTC-5, Ned Mantei wrote:
After two months the Schwalbe Marathon Winter studded tires on my

everyday bike have lost 11 spikes/studs (8 in the front, 3 in back). I

bought some replacement studs, but have had no luck fitting them back

into the holes in the tires. Schwalbe says to just use a pliers to to

this, and Nokian sells a special tool for their tires. A pliers or

visegrip didn't work at all for me, nor did something that I made from a

piece of metal tube that seemed as though it should work like the Nokian

tool. Is there some trick to this? Any advice would be greatly

appreciated.

Incidentally, I followed Schwalbe's advice to put in an initial 50 km on

pavement, and have avoided abrupt braking. In fact, this winter there

hasn't yet been an icy day here, so everything has been on pavement or

on hard-packed forest roads. On the front tire there is one place where

three spikes in a row are missing, and I don't like the thought of

stopping on ice (whenever winter finally sets in) and having the wheel

finally lock exactly at that place. The Nokian "Mount and Ground"

studded tires I have on another bike haven't lost any spikes at all.

Ned

You folks are cracking me up. I used the tool and studs provided by Schwalbe and the worlds oldest lubricant - saliva. Worked great!

Just to clarify, cohenmj is referring to a question I posted almost 2
years ago, in January of 2012. Also overlooked is that a short time
after that post I answered my own question. To repeat that answer:

"The trick was to smear some thick soap solution on/in the hole in the
tire before inserting the spike. I used a something made for easy
mounting of tires on recalcitrant rims, but I am sure that any thick
soap solution would work.I also used a vise grip and a bit of metal tube
that fit around the spike, leaving the base free (sort of like
grabbing a thumbtack by the pointy end). With this it was easy to start
at one side of the base and twist it in."

So no need for the Schwalbe tool if it isn't readily available.

And in response to further new comments from others on Schwalbe studded
tires: I have later not had trouble with missing spikes. My guess is
that the problem comes when braking on steep hills (and there are a lot
of those here in Switzerland). Hard braking might rip out spikes. In any
event, I now have the studded tires on an old bike, bought used very
cheap, just for the times when the roads are icy or slushy. And I now
take care to brake gently, at least when coming to a "routine" stop.

Ned
Old January 20th 17, 01:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, December 26, 2013 at 2:16:55 AM UTC-9, Ned Mantei wrote:
On 24.12.13, 5:07 PM, wrote:
[...]

dish soap worked like a charm

Schwalbe Marathon Plus Trevor A Panther UK 67 November 26th 09 10:52 AM
Schwalbe Marathon Just zis Guy, you know? UK 7 May 7th 08 06:47 PM
Thornproof tire service report: Bontrager Satellite Elite Hardcaseand Schwalbe Marathon Plus Andre Jute[_2_] Techniques 0 May 5th 08 03:15 PM
Schwalbe: Marathon+ or XR sothach UK 6 October 29th 05 07:15 PM
Schwalbe Marathon XR: Yay or Nay? Brian UK 8 November 22nd 04 07:05 PM