"Bicycle Infrastructure Promotes Observance of Bicycle Laws"

Old January 15th 14, 06:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default "Bicycle Infrastructure Promotes Observance of Bicycle Laws"

http://denverurbanism.com/2013/08/bicycle-infrastructure-promotes-observance-of-bicycle-laws.html
Old January 15th 14, 09:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joe Riel

sms writes:

http://denverurbanism.com/2013/08/bicycle-infrastructure-promotes-observance-of-bicycle-laws.html

Interesting article. The problem with typical bike boulevards is that
once the primary predators (cars) are removed, the pedestrians increase
and dealing with them can be worse than the cars. You'll notice in the
picture the two people strolling across the road.

--
Joe Riel
Old January 15th 14, 11:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.currentresults.com/Weathe...f-sunshine.php
Old January 15th 14, 11:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 5:37:44 PM UTC-5, wrote:
http://www.currentresults.com/Weathe...f-sunshine.php

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Both particulate matter and nitrogen oxides emissions are above the averages.
Here's how Denver ranked, category-by-category, in Siemens' U.S. and Canada Green City Index - The Denver Post
http://www.denverpost.com/ci_18384640

Here’s an interesting search device

Woodsmoke Denver is on page 2

https://www.google.com/#q=woodsmoke+in+denver&start=0
Old January 16th 14, 12:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 1/15/2014 12:08 PM, Joe Riel wrote:
sms writes:

http://denverurbanism.com/2013/08/bicycle-infrastructure-promotes-observance-of-bicycle-laws.html

Interesting article. The problem with typical bike boulevards is that
once the primary predators (cars) are removed, the pedestrians increase
and dealing with them can be worse than the cars. You'll notice in the
picture the two people strolling across the road.

Palo Alto took care to avoid this problem. They even put in separate
bridges across a creek for pedestrians and bicycles.
http://oi42.tinypic.com/wbwg3m.jpg.

The MUPs can be maddening despite the lack of any street crossings.

Old January 16th 14, 02:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 12:08:44 PM UTC-8, JoeRiel wrote:
sms writes:

http://denverurbanism.com/2013/08/bicycle-infrastructure-promotes-observance-of-bicycle-laws.html

Interesting article. The problem with typical bike boulevards is that

once the primary predators (cars) are removed, the pedestrians increase

and dealing with them can be worse than the cars. You'll notice in the

picture the two people strolling across the road.

Our bicycle boulevards are just "traffic calmed" streets with sharrows and some hardscape. The major traffic calming device is all the bicycles. Otherwise, it's MUPs and bike lanes and cycle tracks, which are the chutes with curb on one side and parked cars on the others. I just call them "death traps."

-- Jay Beattie
Old January 16th 14, 03:17 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 8:48:13 PM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:

Our bicycle boulevards are just "traffic calmed" streets with sharrows and some hardscape. The major traffic calming device is all the bicycles. Otherwise, it's MUPs and bike lanes and cycle tracks, which are the chutes with curb on one side and parked cars on the others. I just call them "death traps."

I like the idea of bicycle boulevards better than most of the choices. They tend to bring along the idea of slowing MV traffic in residential areas, which I very much favor.

One problem, I guess, is that since they're parallel to the commercial streets, one has to know where to turn off the boulevard to get to somewhere practical, like a grocery store. That means that once again, a bicyclist really does need to know how to deal with MV traffic. We simply can't build a parallel universe for bikes.

This past summer, we cycled in one silver level "Bicycle Friendly Community.." I stopped in a bike shop to see if there might be a local bike map showing boulevards or other pleasant streets for cycling. The shop dude said no; and that the best thing to do was just ride the riverside MUP to get anywhere I needed to go... um, whether it was near that MUP or not. Then he said "But I guess you'd have to know where to get off the path..."

He followed it up with "People that ride in traffic are crazy." Nice advocacy, there. :-/

- Frank Krygowski
Old January 16th 14, 03:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:17:38 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

dead end streets are effective
Old January 16th 14, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Wednesday, January 15, 2014 9:28:01 PM UTC-5, wrote:

dead end streets are effective

Especially if they have "leak through" paths for bikes.

- Frank Krygowski