Flat Bar Road Bikes with Low Step-Over, i.e Mixte

Old April 24th 15, 07:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Flat Bar Road Bikes with Low Step-Over, i.e Mixte

On 4/24/2015 7:37 AM, Duane wrote:

My favorite LBS has these bikes:
http://www.linusbike.com/

I haven't ridden one but there are step through models that look ok.

Linus and Public forgot to have models for areas with steep hills. They
should do models with "standard" 3 x 7. 3 x 8. or 3 x 9 gearing, i.e.
http://americancyclery.com/collections/soma-bicycles/products/soma-buena-vista.

There are a great many used Raleigh, Peugeot, Trek, and Panasonic Mixte
road bikes out there but none of them are triple cranks and most of them
are 27" wheels which severely limits your tire choices. I'm looking for
a product not a project.

The new Mixte road bicycles are now boutique items like the Soma Buena
Vista and the Rivendell Cheviot.

Wish LBSes would carry something similar to the Motobecane Mirage Sport,
even for $500-600 rather than the bikesdirect $349 price.

The closest thing I could find at an LBS in a non-boutique are is the
Fuji Stagger series at Performance, the only one they actually stock is
the "Fuji Absolute 1.7 Stagger Women's Flat Bar Road Bike - 2014"
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...74_-1___000000

I'd still change to a bar like the Velo Orange Tourist
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/handlebars/vo-tourist-handlebar-22-2-dia.html
Old April 24th 15, 08:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

On 24/04/2015 2:15 PM, sms wrote:
[...]

Like I said, I didn't ride any of these. On the other hand I see
students with them downtown and they don't seem to have a problem going
up Mount Royal or Camelien Houde. I guess it depends on what you call
steep. Though they are students with youth on their side.

If your looking for a townie that climbs like a Roubaix with a triple
but has a step over frame I'm not sure what to tell you. Andre had some
suggestions. Maybe Andrew. Let us know what you choose.

Old April 24th 15, 09:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 7:15:35 PM UTC+1, sms wrote:

The closest thing I could find at an LBS in a non-boutique are is the
Fuji Stagger series at Performance, the only one they actually stock is
the "Fuji Absolute 1.7 Stagger Women's Flat Bar Road Bike - 2014"
http://www.performancebike.com/bikes...74_-1___000000

That bike will cost you more to make it habitable than you save on not buying a proper bike in the first instance. Here's an incomplete list of just some of the larger items you will have to buy extra, that you get on a proper bike like a Gazelle, which doesn't cost all that much mo

Mudguards
Rack
Chain guard
Ergonomic handlebars
Front Lamp
Rear Lamp
Wheel with hub dynamo to drive lamps
Pump
Flatproof tyres
Emergency toolkit
Bag for tools

[SOON] New transmission because the Alivio set is pretty bargain basement and won't last long

That thing is an incomplete project, not a bike!

I'd still change to a bar like the Velo Orange Tourist
http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/handlebars/vo-tourist-handlebar-22-2-dia.html

That's a North Road Bar by any other name, with a boutique price. It's very likely made for VO by Kalloy, whose North Road bars I have on all my bikes; I buy them cheap when the local LBSs throw them off when they sell total cycling novices buying a bike on a government scheme an unsuitable bike and then persuade them to fit even more unsuitble "sporting" drop bars. Those bikes end up permanently parked in the garden shed within a week or a fortnight. Kalloy bars are cheap enough and very good; they're found on plenty of upmarket bikes from German and Swiss and Dutch baukasten; my Swiss n'lock came optioned up with a Kalloy North Road bar http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/...26347#msg26347 with a cable inside the handlebar that locks into the n'lock, so it is is a bar of high integrity.

Andre Jute
Old April 24th 15, 09:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 4:26:57 PM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

El Toro Poo Poo!

Many of those items are not needed for casual riding in the daytime. Those items include:

Rack
Chain guard
Ergonomic handlebars
Front Lamp
Rear Lamp
Wheel with hub dynamo to drive lamps
Flatproof tyres

Some are nice to have but are not neccesities:

Pump
Emergency toolkit
Bag for tools

Bicycling does not need to cost a fortune.

What's wrong with getting a nice Mixte frame and then building it up with the components you prefer?

Seems like a lot of bicyclists should be building bicycles since there's nothing available to suit them.

Cheers
Old April 24th 15, 10:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/24/2015 7:39 AM, Duane wrote:

Oops. Didn't notice your mentioning "road bikes." These aren't actually
road bikes. Thought you were looking for townies.

We still do 50-60 mile rides together. Her "Townie" just didn't cut it,
even before she crashed it. Too heavy, and no need for the ridiculous
suspension fork. She used to ride a Raleigh Technium, many years ago,
but found that she liked a low step-over frame. And she hates the drop
bars for commuting and probably for everything else too.

So the optimal choice would be a low step-over, flat bar, road bike. No
suspension, nothing excessively heavy.

I'm going to try the Mirage Sport Mixte from Bikes Direct. The
components are better than what are on the closest acceptable
alternative that any LBS offered. Hate buying a bike online sight unseen
but it's not a huge amount of money.

Old April 24th 15, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 10:40:54 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/24/2015 9:21 AM, wrote:
On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 10:08:45 AM UTC-4, AMuzi wrote:
On 4/24/2015 8:32 AM, Tim McNamara wrote:
On Thu, 23 Apr 2015 19:50:49 -0700, sms
wrote:
Looking for a new bike for the spousal unit. She had a "townie" bike
but she crashed it and I don't want to put any money into it.

She wants a low step-over frame. I want her to have a lighter bike
than her last one. Unfortunately, road bikes with low step-over are
pretty rare these days.

Suggestions are welcome.

My wife went looking for one of these and decided to go used rather than
new. She ended up with a very nice 70s Raleigh Sport which appeared
practically unused; I think she paid $50 or something like that. Needed
a new rear rim as the wheel was bent (my guess is someone bumped into it
with a car in the garage, but no other damage). Upright bars but not a
straight bar as appropriate for the era.

A fine product; I own and love one of them.

That said, new product abounds in a huge range, from a very
low step-through Raleigh Detour 2.5 $329 or striking colors
on the Bianchi Torino $479 (both frequently changed to
lighter faster 28mm tires) through Soma Buena Vista up to
custom:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/wfdopna2.jpg

Yep, that's a 62cm open frame for riding in skirts.

Or Record Pista fixed:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/WFDJHZ.JPG

Custom is always indulgent of taste and we've just spanned
two magnitudes of price.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Muzi has a double top tube Raleigh ? How's that feel ? twisty ?

the GooBuy search in male/female yields low cost bike then Goo offers a choice of male nnnn female and that gives electric bikes

https://www.google.com/#q=mixte+step...rd:pd&tbm=shop

low budget pipes

Nope just a bog-standard Raleigh Sports. Exceptional only in
its lack of exceptional features. Nice bike, rides well.

I bought it primarily for the steel mudguards (44 years ago)
but after changing to tubular rims I discovered it's a lot
better handling than I expected.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

NO DOUBLE TUBER ? awwww.....That frame did not look like one could press on down a patchy road. and enjoy the ride. I feel disoriented thinking abt that!

assume the Silk Road generation is a step up into R Sports Land ? No way give a dog to your girlfriend..

yeah the Sports is Ok...I asked for an aluminum frame demo ride abt 10 years ago...a Cypress coming away with an irritated nervous system.
Old April 25th 15, 03:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 9:57:51 PM UTC+1, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

I think you're several gross short of a full information set, Rideablot. Mrs Scharf commutes to work on that bike, so she needs mudguard and a chainguard so as not to arrive wet, bedraggled and oily. How is she supposed to attacher her briefcase to the bike if there is no rack? How are drivers in cars supposed to see her on winter days if she has no lamps? Etc, etc, point by point.

In any event, I wasn't so much making a shopping list for Scharfie as listing the essential facilities you get as standard fittings with a nice Dutch bike for not very much more money, and that cost a tremendous amount of money if you have to buy them piecemeal in the overpriced aftermarket.

There's nothing wrong with the bike Scharfie showed us, except if you resent being ripped too much money for too little bike. I'm surprised to find you taking the side of the greedbags who rip unsuspecting cyclists.

Andre Jute
Old April 25th 15, 01:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

A light-weight rainsuit and a small backpack can turn any bicycle into a great commuter and without the hassle oOn Friday, April 24, 2015 at 10:18:22 PM UTC-4, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

A light-weight rainsuit plus a small pack turns ANY bicycle into a commuter and has the advantage of being instantly ready to go or come as you don't need to fiddle with stuff on a rack. I commuted for many years with just such a rig and was happy that all I had to do at my destinations was lock the bike and walk away. Not everyone wants or even needs all those items you listed as neccessities in order to commute by bicycle. Having to get all that stuff or having to spend $ on a bicycle with it mounted already is something that turns a lot of people away from commuting/transportational bicycling.

Cheers
Old April 25th 15, 01:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

[...]

where is the Scharf woman working ? at the incinerator ?
Old April 25th 15, 03:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Friday, April 24, 2015 at 7:18:22 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Andre, it's $350 USD for this: http://www.bikesdirect.com/products/...ed_xi_2100.jpg

I agree that it's a little sketchy buying based on a picture (and some specs), but unless its a miniature desk-top model and not a real bike, then he can't go terribly wrong at that price. It will be heavy -- and the parts will not be terribly durable and some may even die an early death, but I'm sure SMS has enough stuff sitting around he house to fix anything that breaks.

BTW, the whole bike-culture thing in PDX drives up prices for old bikes. https://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/bik/4991766444.html $245 for an old Raleigh mixte bike -- 12 speed with idiot brakes. You can get an old U08 mixte boat-anchor for less, but not a lot -- and none have a triple. $350 seems like quite a deal.

-- Jay Beattie.