New experience in spam: Calendar.app spam!

Old November 27th 16, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Default New experience in spam: Calendar.app spam!

On Saturday, November 26, 2016 at 6:15:38 PM UTC-5, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
https://www.google.com/#q=CONTROLLIN...AP PLICATIONS

http://www.thefixfixfix.com/thefixxx...e/img_2459.jpg
Old November 29th 16, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, November 25, 2016 at 2:45:28 PM UTC-8, Tim McNamara wrote:
Today I got my first and second Calendar.app spam on my Mac, from a Web
site that purports to sell Ugg boots followed by one purporting to sell
RayBans. Since the "organizer's" name for both ads are in Chinese
characters, I can only assume that (1) the sites are skeezy at best and
(2) Apple has created a huge ****ing hole in the OS to allow this sort
of bull****.

If unsolved and very, very soon, this may be the last straw in my
relationship with Apple, after 30 years of being their customer. It is
absolutely unacceptable that this is even possible. These ads
(disguised as Calendar events) did not come in an e-mail invite, they
were sent directly to my calendar (along with a long list of other
victims). Deleting the calendar entries notifies the "organizer," of
course, so doing so will confirm that I got the ad. ****ers.
Unbelievable, Apple. Absolutely unbelievable.

And I am by no means the first:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread...art=0&tstart=0

One method for dealing with this BS, which should not be necessary in
the first place:

"Just log in to iCloud.com open your calendar. Then under the calendars
settings (cog icon lower left of the screen), select the Preferences
entry and then the Advanced tab. You'll likely notice that your
Invitations setting is defaulted to in-app notifications. Change that to
email and it'll prevent future invites automatically appear solely in
your calendar (you'll get it as an email that is easier to delete
without confirming a live account)"

And an overly complicated way of getting rid of the calendar entries
without notifying the sender:

Open the Calendar application
Navigate down to Calendars, then tap Edit
Add a Calender to the list using the same button
Give it a name (like Spam) and tap Done
Double-tap ‘Done’ to return to the calendar
Open the spam invitation
Tap the bottom (above invitation) on ‘Calendar’
Select the newly created spamcalendar
Repeat this for all invitations
Now navigate back to the ‘Calendars’
Tap the i-button next to the spam calendar
Scroll down and tap ‘Delete calendar’

Also, WTF is the seller thinking? This is only going to really **** off
every person who gets this; there will be zero sales from this. So
either the would-be seller is an idiot or the goal must be something
else- confirming working iCloud accounts or e-mail addresses, perhaps,
since they get a notification when the victim declines the invite?
Phishing for something else than sales?

For a present and soon to disappear price of $18 you can get multidevice internet full security http://www.bitdefender.com/media/htm...MHMaAkKy8P8HAQ
Old November 29th 16, 09:16 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/25/2016 2:45 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:

snip

If unsolved and very, very soon, this may be the last straw in my
relationship with Apple, after 30 years of being their customer. It is
absolutely unacceptable that this is even possible. These ads
(disguised as Calendar events) did not come in an e-mail invite, they
were sent directly to my calendar (along with a long list of other
victims). Deleting the calendar entries notifies the "organizer," of
course, so doing so will confirm that I got the ad. ****ers.
Unbelievable, Apple. Absolutely unbelievable.

Apple Inc. is the greatest company in the world.

---

Old November 30th 16, 01:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 11/25/2016 2:45 PM, Tim McNamara wrote:
Today I got my first and second Calendar.app spam on my Mac, from a Web
site that purports to sell Ugg boots followed by one purporting to sell
RayBans. Since the "organizer's" name for both ads are in Chinese
characters, I can only assume that (1) the sites are skeezy at best and
(2) Apple has created a huge ****ing hole in the OS to allow this sort
of bull****.

snip

http://learnbonds.com/132360/apple-iphone-calendar-spam/

---

Old December 1st 16, 05:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Tue, 29 Nov 2016 13:16:14 -0800, sms
wrote:

Apple Inc. is the greatest company in the world.

No. They were arguably the most successful company in the world for a
long time (in tech business terms) and are still practically printing
money in the basement, but that's not the same as being the greatest
company IMHO. Your yardstick for greatness might be different. Apple
has long reflected the ethical challenges of Steve Jobs and continues to
do so.

On the innovation front, they've come up with basically nothing new
since Steve Jobs died. Tim Cook is an able administrator but he is not
an innovator. Jony Ives by many accounts has been more interested in
consolidating power than with innovation. However, Apple's been doing
some pruning of their product lines (no more WiFi stations, etc.) and
maybe that will help refocus resources to where they need to be.

That said, I had two Macs, an iPhone and two iPads. 'Cuz their stuff
still works better than the competition's, even if the drive to innovate
seems to have dried up in Cupertino.
Old December 1st 16, 01:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

wrote:

[...]

I do not own any Apple products but one metric might be that
the I Phone, a phenomenal marketing phenomenon, bears a
higher margin for Apple than any manufactured thing you
could quickly name. High margin + high volume covers all
their other more mundane operations (such as shoveling money
out the door in the watch project, etc)

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 1st 16, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

wrote:

[...]

assemble two groups one Mac users one Microcephalic people...

immediately see a morphologic divide tween the 2.
Old December 1st 16, 09:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:

[...]

They just picked up Jon Callas of Silent Circle and Blackphone recently, and you can expect to see some innovations in security as a result.

dkl

Old December 3rd 16, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joy Beeson

On Wed, 30 Nov 2016 23:35:59 -0600, Tim McNamara
wrote:

the drive to innovate
seems to have dried up in Cupertino.

Innovation is overrated.

--
joy beeson at comcast dot net
http://wlweather.net/PAGEJOY/
Old December 3rd 16, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

wrote:

the drive to innovate
seems to have dried up in Cupertino.

Innovation is overrated.

Innovation is the best thing since sliced bread!

spam robert bristow-johnson Racing 4 October 21st 08 08:33 AM
spam Didi Racing 2 October 21st 08 06:07 AM
Spam. juggle508 Unicycling 4 April 26th 05 12:35 AM
non-spam BB Mountain Biking 7 June 22nd 04 10:16 PM
Spam Charlie Mountain Biking 2 January 29th 04 03:55 PM