A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Integrated headset preload

Old December 27th 16, 06:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Default Integrated headset preload

My Wilier has. Carbon Fork with carbon steering tube. After 3 years I decided to clean the headset and grease. It is an FSA. I think it was a waste of time I was not having problems but since I was doing some routine cleaning I gave it a go. Seems the bearings are not really serviceable sealed do not come apart. Well I cleaned and put grease on what I could and on the upper and lower races.

What I noticed setting preload was it was a fine line between too much and too little. I got the fork correct no movement with brake clamped, seated nicely. A little more and it would bind a bit turning. Then I notice I can turn the spacers by hand. They are not loose but will move if I grabbed them to rotate. When the steering is turned they all rotate with the whole column.

My research seems to say the spacers should not be able to rotate by hand if preload is correct. I cannot seem to get it to do this without too much and binding a bit turning. So what do the experts here think. Now am going to say it was like this before I did the cleaning I could rotate them by hand. My other bike has the same set up and I can rotate those spacers too. So far I have made it 13000 miles. I am wanting the definitive answer.

Deacon Mark Cleary
Ads
Old December 27th 16, 08:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 10:42:42 AM UTC-8, wrote:
My Wilier has. Carbon Fork with carbon steering tube. After 3 years I decided to clean the headset and grease. It is an FSA. I think it was a waste of time I was not having problems but since I was doing some routine cleaning I gave it a go. Seems the bearings are not really serviceable sealed do not come apart. Well I cleaned and put grease on what I could and on the upper and lower races.

What I noticed setting preload was it was a fine line between too much and too little. I got the fork correct no movement with brake clamped, seated nicely. A little more and it would bind a bit turning. Then I notice I can turn the spacers by hand. They are not loose but will move if I grabbed them to rotate. When the steering is turned they all rotate with the whole column.

My research seems to say the spacers should not be able to rotate by hand if preload is correct. I cannot seem to get it to do this without too much and binding a bit turning. So what do the experts here think. Now am going to say it was like this before I did the cleaning I could rotate them by hand. My other bike has the same set up and I can rotate those spacers too. So far I have made it 13000 miles. I am wanting the definitive answer.

There is no recommended torque value for the top cap, but I would guess it is no more than a few NM to get proper adjustment without bearing binding. That's not a lot of torque, so if you have slippery spacers and strong hands, I imagine you could move the spacers. I've never checked mine. If the headset is snug, I'm pretty much done.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 27th 16, 08:17 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 12/27/2016 12:42 PM, wrote:

Definitive answer = Yes.

When you ditz around with an aheadset adjustment you may
possibly end with the centering cone stuck in the right
position but the top adjuster bolt not tight. In that case,
it will turn properly without play and the spacers, which
bear no load, will spin. If ridden, the headset would loosen
right away. Just try again, incrementally tightening until
there is no play rather than loosening until it doesn't bind.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Old December 27th 16, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Deacon Mark Cleary

As the local expert Andrew Muzi will tell you, there isn't any "preload". You tighten until there is no up and down play and no more. At this point you can still hand rotate the spacers but they really have no bearing in the matter.

Find this point may require a little tightening and loosening to practice before you can feel it.
Old December 28th 16, 02:46 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 3:57:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:

My research seems to say the spacers should not be able to rotate by hand if preload is correct. I cannot seem to get it to do this without too much and binding a bit turning. So what do the experts here think. Now am going to say it was like this before I did the cleaning I could rotate them by hand. My other bike has the same set up and I can rotate those spacers too.. So far I have made it 13000 miles. I am wanting the definitive answer.

Deacon Mark Cleary

As the local expert Andrew Muzi will tell you, there isn't any "preload". You tighten until there is no up and down play and no more. At this point you can still hand rotate the spacers but they really have no bearing in the matter.

Find this point may require a little tightening and loosening to practice before you can feel it.

amazing language quagmires
Old December 28th 16, 09:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tosspot[_3_]
external usenet poster

On 27/12/16 20:06, jbeattie wrote:
On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 10:42:42 AM UTC-8,
wrote:
My Wilier has. Carbon Fork with carbon steering tube. After 3 years
I decided to clean the headset and grease. It is an FSA. I think it
was a waste of time I was not having problems but since I was doing
some routine cleaning I gave it a go. Seems the bearings are not
really serviceable sealed do not come apart. Well I cleaned and put
grease on what I could and on the upper and lower races.

What I noticed setting preload was it was a fine line between too
much and too little. I got the fork correct no movement with brake
clamped, seated nicely. A little more and it would bind a bit
turning. Then I notice I can turn the spacers by hand. They are not
loose but will move if I grabbed them to rotate. When the steering
is turned they all rotate with the whole column.

My research seems to say the spacers should not be able to rotate
by hand if preload is correct. I cannot seem to get it to do this
without too much and binding a bit turning. So what do the experts
here think. Now am going to say it was like this before I did the
cleaning I could rotate them by hand. My other bike has the same
set up and I can rotate those spacers too. So far I have made it
13000 miles. I am wanting the definitive answer.

There is no recommended torque value for the top cap, but I would
guess it is no more than a few NM to get proper adjustment without
bearing binding. That's not a lot of torque, so if you have slippery
spacers and strong hands, I imagine you could move the spacers. I've
never checked mine. If the headset is snug, I'm pretty much done.

I've just checked my Galaxy, it requires a bit of effort, but they can
be rotated. Also, no steering head play and full movement, so probably
at the correct tension.
Old December 28th 16, 02:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie
external usenet poster

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 1:52:31 AM UTC-8, Tosspot wrote:
wrote:

at the correct tension.

And maybe he got a little grease on the spacer faces after greasing the bearing cartridges.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 28th 16, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH
external usenet poster

veering from preload not preload.... in a perfect world correct preload then accurate torque with optimal grease allows spacer movement when contacting an immovable object at speed.

I'm working on an under front end fog lamp bar ...fondling hardware at the Naples Ace this morning boasted idea that a forward stop tensioned with 2 triangulating springs from strapping hung of the bumper bottom would be trick ... if a moment of no motion vibration is available.

or maybe a small motion frequency is better than no motion ?

anyone profess skill preloading worn surfaces ?

Old December 28th 16, 09:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau
external usenet poster

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 6:46:21 PM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 3:57:06 PM UTC-5, wrote:

Deacon Mark Cleary

amazing language quagmires

http://www.graphzines.net/cartes-pos...ed-skills.html
Old December 29th 16, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]
external usenet poster

On 2016-12-28 06:52, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 1:52:31 AM UTC-8, Tosspot wrote:
wrote:

at the correct tension.

And maybe he got a little grease on the spacer faces after greasing the bearing cartridges.

A hose clamp would hold them in place 8-)

BTW, my road bike threaded steerer has not come loose anymore ever
since. Probably 1000mi or so. Not once.

--
SCNR, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/