Carrying a Cane ?

Old December 28th 16, 02:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Default Carrying a Cane ?

"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in
:

I've been using one of those bungee-loaded sectional canes and carrying
it in a saddle bag.

But they aren't the most durable things and this one is getting tired.

Had anybody successfully/safely carried a full-length cane on a bike?

I can think of several methods, but cannot afford to pay the dues
if/when I find out the hard way that the method I pick to try has some
fatal flaw...

After safety, ease of deployment/storage is high on the list....

Has anybody got something that they have lived with over the years ?

My battery sergeant-major used to cycle to and from work. One of the
accoutrements that he was expected to have with him at all times when on
foot in service or garrison dress was his pair of pace sticks.
http://www.sheba-imports.com/Pace_sticks_and_drill_canes.html
He rigged a heavy mailing tube, attaching it to his bike's handle bars and
forks, and used it like a gun scabbard: when he dismounted, he would draw
the pace sticks and thrust them under his left armpit as required in the
manual of drill and ceremonial. I am sorry, but I cannot recall the method
of attachment of the tube, that was 24 years ago and his problem; it may
have involved gun tape, the olive-green, army version of duct tape, and
cable ties.
--
Andrew Chaplin
SIT MIHI GLADIUS SICUT SANCTO MARTINO
Old December 28th 16, 02:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andrew Chaplin

Andre Jute wrote in
:

I noted Andrew's remark about holding the brake and handling the stick.
Perhaps. But a proper bike for an older cyclist should have a
permanently fitted kickstand

Nope, you are not selling this old fart on kickstands.
Old December 28th 16, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 4:37:36 PM UTC-8, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/27/2016 4:33 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Tuesday, December 27, 2016 at 4:07:32 PM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
I've been using one of those bungee-loaded sectional canes and carrying
it in a saddle bag.

But they aren't the most durable things and this one is getting tired.

Had anybody successfully/safely carried a full-length cane on a bike?

I can think of several methods, but cannot afford to pay the dues
if/when I find out the hard way that the method I pick to try has some
fatal flaw...

After safety, ease of deployment/storage is high on the list....

Has anybody got something that they have lived with over the years ?
--
Pete Cresswell

A rear rack. Mount a plastic tube vertically or slightly asngled forward andthen put the cane in the tube when not in use. Quick to get it out and easy to put it back in. Rather like a scabbard fora saddle rifle.

Cheers

Yep, works fine to store a cane while riding but people who
need one generally hold the front brake until they can grab
the thing and front carry is handier.

The rear vertical rack is a terrible idea. How is someone that is slightly disabled to swing a leg over the saddle when there is additional things in the way?
Old December 28th 16, 03:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 6:54:42 AM UTC-8, Andrew Chaplin wrote:
"(PeteCresswell)" wrote in
:

[...]

These are not meant to be used by someone that must put their weight on it. The pointed end will spear right through a soft surface. There is a reason that a cane has a broad rubber end on it.
Old December 28th 16, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Wed, 28 Dec 2016 08:39:45 +0700, John B.
wrote:

Assuming a cane approximately 30 inches long I see no reason that a
tube, perhaps PVC pipe could not be mounted between the front wheel
axle and the handle bars - assuming a solid front fork. The U.S. Army
has a similar sort of mount to hold a rifle. See
http://tinyurl.com/htkrat3

More of the same type of mounts:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+rifle+mount&tbm=isch
However, a cane does not weigh very much and therefore does not
require an elaborate mounting arrangement. Velcro straps around one
of the frame tubes or across the handlebars would be sufficient.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old December 28th 16, 06:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 9:38:10 AM UTC-5, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Sir Ridesalot:
A rear rack. Mount a plastic tube vertically or slightly asngled forward andthen put the cane in the tube when not in use. Quick to get it out and easy to put it back in. Rather like a scabbard fora saddle rifle.

Have you actually used/lived with that solution for, say, at least a
year ?
--
Pete Cresswell

No, but I know a chap who does. His setup is much like a saddle scabbard for either a rifle or a sword. He stops, puts a foot down then draws the cane out from where it's easily accessible but doesn't intefere with anything.

Cheers
Old December 28th 16, 07:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

https://www.google.com/search?q=cane...eHCQMQ_AUIBygC
Old December 28th 16, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Jeff Liebermann:
More of the same type of mounts:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+rifle+mount&tbm=isch
However, a cane does not weigh very much and therefore does not
require an elaborate mounting arrangement. Velcro straps around one
of the frame tubes or across the handlebars would be sufficient.

The horizontal/top tube mount with the excess protruding forward seems
ring the truest so far.

The vertical fork-mounted scabbards seem worry some in event
of a crash and the rider's face hitting the cane.... also, after a
couple of negative experiences with fenders, I see anything in and
around the front wheel as being problematic.
--
Pete Cresswell
Old December 28th 16, 07:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On Wednesday, December 28, 2016 at 11:25:11 AM UTC-8, (PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Jeff Liebermann:
More of the same type of mounts:
https://www.google.com/search?q=bicycle+rifle+mount&tbm=isch
However, a cane does not weigh very much and therefore does not
require an elaborate mounting arrangement. Velcro straps around one
of the frame tubes or across the handlebars would be sufficient.

The horizontal/top tube mount with the excess protruding forward seems
ring the truest so far.

The vertical fork-mounted scabbards seem worry some in event
of a crash and the rider's face hitting the cane.... also, after a
couple of negative experiences with fenders, I see anything in and
around the front wheel as being problematic.
--
Pete Cresswell

Lay it across the hoods
Old December 28th 16, 07:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
(PeteCresswell)

Per Doug Landau:
https://www.google.com/search?q=cane...eHCQMQ_AUIBygC

I currently have a half-dozen canes and a few adjustable walking sticks.

Until recently, my favorite was an adjustable alu crook-handle: light,
strong enough, and easy on the hands: http://tinyurl.com/h8crhou

But now my favorite is an old-school solid 1" hickory cane:
http://tinyurl.com/hy2g8o3 Gives a more natural swing when
walking and feels more solid when leaned upon.

I coated it with marine spar varnish, which gives it just a tiny touch
of a tacky feel - so the hands grip easier and it does not slide -
whereas the alu cane needed to have handlebar tape applied on certain
areas.

Finally, the beveled point on the end of the crook lets one hang it on a
shoulder when both hands are needed for something. The rounded crook
ends slide off.
--
Pete Cresswell

water in Cane Creek AD-5 meb[_32_] Techniques 102 November 17th 07 10:31 PM
Carrying Chancock Unicycling 18 January 29th 07 02:27 PM
Cane Creek V-Brakes Noel UK 18 June 3rd 06 12:41 PM
Cane Creek WAM MTB Wheels $100 [email protected] Marketplace 0 April 25th 05 07:13 PM
Cane Creek ZST T1000 UK 2 February 26th 04 12:17 AM