True Temper calling it quits

Old January 7th 17, 12:10 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Greg Berchin[_3_]

Default True Temper calling it quits

On Mon, 2 Jan 2017 09:03:31 -0800 (PST), jbeattie
wrote:

Most CF frames are stiff through the BB, and IMO, the real action is in
the front end and stays -- much of it by design and some not. If you
like having a stiff front-end (I do), then you have to shop for that
bike, and even some bikes that are pretty stiff through the front end
have limber components, like stems and bars. Try a more robust bar and
stem and see if it makes a difference.

In this case it's the frame. There is a slightly unnerving headshake
right around 30 mph (yes, I can still hit those speeds despite my ever
advancing age) during which I can actually see the head tube twisting
out of the plane of the seat tube. Of course, this is a large frame and
I am a heavy rider, so I'm probably operating near the design limit.

Another issue with modern CF bikes (not the Altimira so much) is the
change to longer head tubes and "comfort geometry" which, again IMO,
changes the ride feel and position when climbing out of the saddle. They
are meant for seated climbing, which is probably a good thing because
that is a lot more efficient.

That is precisely the reason that I chose the Altamira. Most modern
frames have 72° seat tube angles, the Altamira has 73.5°. On a bike with
80+ cm saddle-to-spindle distance, that makes a difference of more than
2 cm. I have long legs but a short torso, and I also like the more
aggressive "lean forward" position.