Beaded tires higher cost than folding, why?

Old January 3rd 17, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Default Beaded tires higher cost than folding, why?

My last but one Gatorskin went, side wall damage, the usual. The side
wall on the rear tire looks iffy already and if that blows I'd have no
more spare for it. So it's time to refill the basement stack.
Unfortunately the CST Correre only comes in 700c*23mm. This leaves the
Gatorskin Hardshell with supposedly better side walls but ... the
700c*25 beaded is $48, ouch, too much. To my surprise the foldable is
"only" $39. Why is that?

I don't want the normal Gatorskins anymore because the side walls are
too flimsy.

If anyone knows about another new tire that is very puncture resistant
and low cost that would be nice. Weight does not matter and heavier is
usually better.

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old January 3rd 17, 12:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Monday, January 2, 2017 at 3:09:24 PM UTC-8, Joerg wrote:
My last but one Gatorskin went, side wall damage, the usual. The side
wall on the rear tire looks iffy already and if that blows I'd have no
more spare for it. So it's time to refill the basement stack.
Unfortunately the CST Correre only comes in 700c*23mm. This leaves the
Gatorskin Hardshell with supposedly better side walls but ... the
700c*25 beaded is $48, ouch, too much. To my surprise the foldable is
"only" $39. Why is that?

I don't want the normal Gatorskins anymore because the side walls are
too flimsy.

If anyone knows about another new tire that is very puncture resistant
and low cost that would be nice. Weight does not matter and heavier is
usually better.

The cost difference is invariably sales driven only. The folding tires should always cost a little more than the steel beads but it's a toss-up.

There are several tires out with reinforced treads but I haven't found any that I like and are cheap.

Specialized Armadilloes cost an arm and a leg and they work better than Gatorskins in my experience.

There is a new tire on the market that sounds just up your alley - MICHELIN PRO4 ENDURANCE TIRE - CLINCHER - you can get them in 23, 25 and 28 mm from Competitive Cyclist for only $25. All of the reviews on them are good but the tire is still new yet.
Old January 3rd 17, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

a thin sidewall gives response.

your choice.

more finesse longer tire life

or more $$$

or tires handle like wood.

Old January 3rd 17, 01:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-01-02 15:45, wrote:
[...]

CST makes the Correre and Conquistare series. However, they haven't
gotten the message yet that 25mm is the usual size these days.

Specialized Armadilloes cost an arm and a leg and they work better
than Gatorskins in my experience.

There is a new tire on the market that sounds just up your alley -
MICHELIN PRO4 ENDURANCE TIRE - CLINCHER - you can get them in 23, 25
and 28 mm from Competitive Cyclist for only $25.

Unfortunately they don't have 25mm.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/mi...FOQ0UgVElSRQ==

I'd like 28mm but it won't fit in my frame. 23mm is too iffy because of
numerous required offroad stints and the occasional heavy load.

I am also looking at the CST Conquistare which comes in 25mm but
unfortunately only the foldable one has 3-ply all across the sidewalls.
Whether on the MTB or the road bike only about half of my tires make it
to the end (where the surface is waron away) without a side wall giving up.

... All of the reviews
on them are good but the tire is still new yet.

Amazon wants almost $59 for the 25mmm. Yikes!

https://www.amazon.com/Michelin-Pro4...E4O?th=1&psc=1

I don't mind being the test rider if the specs are good. But not at $59.

Old January 3rd 17, 01:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-01-02 16:07, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
a thin sidewall gives response.

your choice.

My choice is always more sturdiness, not comfort or being two seconds
faster on my 43 mile valley ride.

more finesse longer tire life

Thin side walls result in premature failure and thus paltry a life span.
Worst case a nasty crash if the front one goes KABLAM.

or more $$$

or tires handle like wood.

You should see my MTB. Very sturdy tires, tire liners with old tubes
shoved over them, plus tubes with 4mm wall thickness. Flats: None.

On the road bike I use tubes with 3mm wall thickness but that doesn't
help when a chunk of side wall decides to go AWOL.

Old January 3rd 17, 01:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Mon, 02 Jan 2017 15:09:21 -0800, Joerg
wrote:

My last but one Gatorskin went, side wall damage, the usual. The side
wall on the rear tire looks iffy already and if that blows I'd have no
more spare for it. So it's time to refill the basement stack.
Unfortunately the CST Correre only comes in 700c*23mm. This leaves the
Gatorskin Hardshell with supposedly better side walls but ... the
700c*25 beaded is $48, ouch, too much. To my surprise the foldable is
"only" $39. Why is that?

I don't want the normal Gatorskins anymore because the side walls are
too flimsy.

If anyone knows about another new tire that is very puncture resistant
and low cost that would be nice. Weight does not matter and heavier is
usually better.

Question: How much tire pressure are you running? I used gatorskins
for a while and never had any sidewall problems.

As an aside, I had just as many punctures with gatorskins as I've had
with normal tires :-) But granted, we don't have any of those thorns
that you talk about.
--
cheers,

John B.

Old January 3rd 17, 01:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JQ

wrote:

[...]

I started using tire liners and I have been very pleased with them. Only
had one flat because I ran over a board with a long tack. You are able
to run the tire down much further than you could without the liners
making the cheaper tires work just as well. I haven't noticed a
performance loss either!

--
Ride fast, ride hard, ride for health and enjoyment... JQ Dancing on the
edge

Old January 3rd 17, 01:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

My last but one Gatorskin went, side wall damage, the usual. The side
wall on the rear tire looks iffy already and if that blows I'd have no
more spare for it. So it's time to refill the basement stack.
Unfortunately the CST Correre only comes in 700c*23mm. This leaves the
Gatorskin Hardshell with supposedly better side walls but ... the
700c*25 beaded is $48, ouch, too much. To my surprise the foldable is
"only" $39. Why is that?

I don't want the normal Gatorskins anymore because the side walls are
too flimsy.

If anyone knows about another new tire that is very puncture resistant
and low cost that would be nice. Weight does not matter and heavier is
usually better.

Question: How much tire pressure are you running? I used gatorskins
for a while and never had any sidewall problems.

110psi. What usually happens is that the thin strands you can see on the
side become torn while striking a rock or whatever, or being hit by a
rock. Or a goat's head thorn flips into the wall. Eventually a bulge
will develop. I usually catch it visually or it goes PSHOOOF.

As an aside, I had just as many punctures with gatorskins as I've had
with normal tires :-) But granted, we don't have any of those thorns
that you talk about.

Goat's head thorns are a pain. They are not native to Northern
California and weren't a problem until a few years ago when the plant
seeds or whatever wafted in from the south.

The only "real" puncture I had with Gatorskins in thousands of miles was
when I saw the remnants of a wire brush too late. It must have fallen
from a truck and disintegrated.

Maybe I should give the CST Conquistare a shot. Unfortunately no wire
bead but they can be found for around $20 or less. Just imagine a road
bike with different color tires. Pretty soon it'll look like a hobo
vehicle :-)

Old January 3rd 17, 02:00 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

I am also a strong believer in tire liners (plus thick tubes). However,
they do not make flimsy side walls any better.

Old January 3rd 17, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 1/2/2017 7:21 PM, Joerg wrote:

I'd like 28mm but it won't fit in my frame. 23mm is too iffy because of
numerous required offroad stints and the occasional heavy load.

I'm still amazed by the number of bikes that can't accept a 28mm tire.
I see no advantage to building that limitation into a bike.

--
- Frank Krygowski

Vittoria non-folding tires Coltrane Techniques 3 September 11th 08 09:57 PM
Wire-Beaded Tires on Straight-Sided Rim? question man Techniques 5 May 7th 05 05:51 PM
27 inch folding tires? cheg Techniques 3 August 25th 04 06:31 PM
relative cost/usage between bicycle tires and automobile tires Anonymous Techniques 46 April 7th 04 07:03 PM
beaded, tubeless, folding HELP! davebee UK 8 February 2nd 04 08:50 PM