Bill would ban bicyclists from most 2-lane roads in Montana

Old February 1st 17, 09:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Bill would ban bicyclists from most 2-lane roads in Montana

Bill would ban bicyclists from most 2-lane roads in Montana:
http://www.kpax.com/story/34308290/b...ads-in-montana

The bill is sponsored by one Usher, a Harley-Davidson dealer...

Andre Jute
And it's not even April 1at
Old February 1st 17, 09:37 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 1:32:45 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
Bill would ban bicyclists from most 2-lane roads in Montana:
http://www.kpax.com/story/34308290/b...ads-in-montana

The bill is sponsored by one Usher, a Harley-Davidson dealer...

Andre Jute
And it's not even April 1at

Since this is against Federal regulations I wouldn't worry about this too much.

Old February 2nd 17, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 3:25:17 PM UTC-8, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 4:37:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, February 1, 2017 at 1:32:45 PM UTC-8, Andre Jute wrote:
Bill would ban bicyclists from most 2-lane roads in Montana:
http://www.kpax.com/story/34308290/b...ads-in-montana

The bill is sponsored by one Usher, a Harley-Davidson dealer...

Andre Jute
And it's not even April 1at

Since this is against Federal regulations I wouldn't worry about this too much.

what regulations ?

Good question. The legislation applies to state roads. I rode across Montana, and I've got to say that some of the cow-towns were positively hostile to cyclists, even though cyclist brought a lot of money into those tiny towns (typically a bar, store, gas station). I walked into a bar in wearing shorts -- not bike shorts, just shorts -- and a bunch of guys in cowboy hats just glowered at me. I should have gotten a cowboy hat in Missoula. I felt like the black guy in Bensonhurst.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old February 2nd 17, 01:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

wrote:
Bill would ban bicyclists from most 2-lane roads in Montana:
http://www.kpax.com/story/34308290/b...ads-in-montana

The bill is sponsored by one Usher, a Harley-Davidson dealer...

Andre Jute And it's not even April 1at

Since this is against Federal regulations I wouldn't worry about
this too much.

what regulations ?

Good question. The legislation applies to state roads. I rode across
Montana, and I've got to say that some of the cow-towns were
positively hostile to cyclists, even though cyclist brought a lot of
money into those tiny towns (typically a bar, store, gas station). I
walked into a bar in wearing shorts -- not bike shorts, just shorts --
and a bunch of guys in cowboy hats just glowered at me. I should have
gotten a cowboy hat in Missoula. I felt like the black guy in
Bensonhurst.

Hey, folks, tip of the iceberg if yer not a "real 'Merican." Which is
code for conforming to the new political correctness of conservative,
evangelical, white and sick and tired of having to put up with people
who are different from you.

We've got family in Montana and some of them have just exploded with
right wing bile since the election. The cork on years of simmering rage
just got popped and it's not gonna stop for a good long while. Liberals
tend to underestimate the depth of far-right conservative hatred of
them, and people on bicycles must be liberals.

It may be an uncomfortable four years for people pedaling their way
around in some parts of the US. I hear increasing talk locally and on
other forums of bolder aggression by people in cars and trucks and on
motorcycles. They think we're on "their" roads and getting in "their"
way.
Old February 2nd 17, 03:16 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/t...-B/chapter-145
49 U.S. Code § 14501
(A)
shall not restrict the safety regulatory authority of a State with respect to motor vehicles, the authority of a State to impose highway route controls or limitations based on the size or weight of the motor vehicle or the hazardous nature of the cargo, or the authority of a State to regulate motor carriers with regard to minimum amounts of financial responsibility relating to insurance requirements and self-insurance authorization;

how translate to bicycles ?

61-8-602, MCA. Traffic laws applicable to persons operating bicycles or mopeds.
A person operating a bicycle or moped is granted all of the rights and is subject to all of the duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle by chapter 7, chapter 9, and this chapter except for special regulations in this part or the provisions of chapter 7, chapter 9, and this chapter that by their nature cannot apply

61-8-605, MCA. Riding on roadways

(4) A bicyclist is not expected or required to ride:

(b) without a reasonable margin of safety on the right side of the roadway.

- operative clause

Old February 2nd 17, 05:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

downtown silicon valley.

Old February 2nd 17, 05:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/1/2017 7:58 PM, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

I wonder if times have changed? We did our coast to coast in 2003, and
we were treated very well. Of course, I was riding with two cute
ladies; that may have made a difference.

We did feel out of place going into some of the bars out in the sticks.
(And on a hot Montana day, you don't dare pass up a watering hole; the
next one may be 50 miles further.) But guys were always friendly once
the ice was broken.

I've told this before, but: At one tiny town we got a room in a
purported "motel" that was actually a house trailer. We changed out of
cycling clothes, then went looking for supper. The only restaurant was
a biker bar. In there, we got in conversation with some Harley riders.

I asked the one guy where he was from, and his chest swelled with pride
as he said "I rode here all the way from Minnesota. How about you?"

We said "We're bicycling coast to coast. We started from Delaware."

His chest deflated and he looked suddenly crestfallen. He said "Wow.
You guys are _really_ tough!"

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 3rd 17, 02:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 12:36:37 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

[...]

I have to agree with you. Since 1950 I have lived in a number of
states from the east coast to the west coast and in many Asian
countries and I don't remember any inappropriate acts or comments.
Admittedly, in some cases I didn't speak the language and so wouldn't
have understood inappropriate comments, but still.

By the same token, I have always tried to act and speak in an
appropriate manner.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old February 3rd 17, 08:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
W. Wesley Groleau

On 2/3/17 4:33 PM, jbeattie wrote:
You never know. Manners may return one day along with LPs and Trilby hats. What this election has taught me is that both society and government depend in large part on unwritten rules -- manners, social convention, shared values. When either side forgets those things, then the whole system starts falling apart.

And since large numbers of _both_ sides have abandoned them, ....

--
Wes Groleau

287 in Montana? Patrick Lamb Rides 0 April 17th 09 04:24 AM
Pothole damages bill costs more than repairing the roads. Doug[_3_] UK 18 April 14th 09 05:07 PM
Iowa Roads with Lane dividers? Earl Bollinger General 12 September 4th 06 07:32 PM
Any one on this forum in Montana enahs Unicycling 8 May 29th 06 01:54 AM
Please help - Montana route [email protected] Rides 7 May 11th 06 11:48 PM