Computers giving cyclists a "right hook" sooner than expected

Old February 2nd 17, 05:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Computers giving cyclists a "right hook" sooner than expected

Of course we all know that computers are going to take over the world and make people their slaves, but perhaps it's happening faster than we thought:

https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/20/ub...ars-bike-risk/

Jay, would you please file a few big-dollar wrongful death/personal injury lawsuits against the self-driving car companies and put them out of business? Thanks.
Old February 2nd 17, 06:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

haven't read this expect lotta imaginative self serving flack from the ? industry

https://www.google.com/#q=expected+i...r+autom ation

wondering

who buys for what purpose ? on a highway to hell .... where's the % here ?
Old February 2nd 17, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Thu, 2 Feb 2017 08:27:13 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

Of course we all know that computers are going to take over
the world and make people their slaves, but perhaps it's
happening faster than we thought:
https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/20/ub...ars-bike-risk/

Perhaps the bureaucrats should make it mandatory for all self-driving
cars to have a bicycle detector on the roof?
http://www.flir.com/traffic/display/?id=62071
As an added bonus, the device can also detect pedestrians.
http://www.flir.com/traffic/display/?id=62100
The big problems will be getting sufficient field of vision and
pattern detection of the various contraptions that only vaguely
resemble a bicycle.

"Better living through technology"

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old February 2nd 17, 08:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Sorry, I didn't notice that Frank had already started a thread about this. I defer to his thread.
Old February 2nd 17, 09:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

wrote:

Of course we all know that computers are going to take over
the world and make people their slaves, but perhaps it's
happening faster than we thought:
https://techcrunch.com/2016/12/20/ub...ars-bike-risk/

Perhaps the bureaucrats should make it mandatory for all self-driving
cars to have a bicycle detector on the roof?
http://www.flir.com/traffic/display/?id=62071
As an added bonus, the device can also detect pedestrians.
http://www.flir.com/traffic/display/?id=62100
The big problems will be getting sufficient field of vision and
pattern detection of the various contraptions that only vaguely
resemble a bicycle.

"Better living through technology"

I wonder how well those things work. They're said to use thermal
imaging, IOW infra red, I suppose. But ISTM that at certain ambient
tempreratures there might not be much temperature difference between the
bulk of a cyclist's image and the surrounding road. That would depend
on choice of outerwear. A jacket over a sweater, for example, might be
the same temperature as the air, especially in front where it's being
cooled by the relative wind. Helmets would certainly be at ambient
temperature on their outside. Cyclists with rain capes or with front
loads might have their legs hidden from such a camera.

Our porch has a light controlled by a motion detector, but it too seems
to be IR based. There are times it refuses to respond. I assume that's
due to lack of temperature contrast.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 2nd 17, 10:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 3:11:58 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
Snipped

I wonder how well those things work. They're said to use thermal
imaging, IOW infra red, I suppose. But ISTM that at certain ambient
tempreratures there might not be much temperature difference between the
bulk of a cyclist's image and the surrounding road. That would depend
on choice of outerwear. A jacket over a sweater, for example, might be
the same temperature as the air, especially in front where it's being
cooled by the relative wind. Helmets would certainly be at ambient
temperature on their outside. Cyclists with rain capes or with front
loads might have their legs hidden from such a camera.

There is a HUGE difference between Therma Imaging and Infra Red. Infra red imaging is greatly reduced by things such as rain, fog and/or smokke whereas Thermal imaginging will still work very well in those conditions. That's why the military prefers thermal imaging to infra red imagin on scopes etcetera. Thermal imaging can pick out troops lying in the snow or even underthe snow. Again, infra red and thermal imaging are two very different things.

Cheers
Old February 3rd 17, 12:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 2/2/2017 4:44 PM, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
[...]

If thermal imaging doesn't use the infrared part of the electromagnetic
spectrum, then what part do you suppose it uses?

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old February 3rd 17, 12:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

wrote:

[...]

as an old woman with a shopping cart ?

10 potted palms in barrels

a child stroking a flyer ?

a deer

a rabbit

a cow

mooooo
Old February 3rd 17, 12:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

wrote:

[...]

an emitter behind you a portable wood stove perhaps ?
Old February 3rd 17, 12:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Thursday, February 2, 2017 at 6:07:27 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Check out some videos that sow the difference between infra red and thermal imaging. here's one to get you started.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM0pt3wObJc

Cheers