cassette clockwise arrow 40 nm

Old March 7th 17, 07:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Causer[_3_]

Default cassette clockwise arrow 40 nm

On Tue, 07 Mar 2017 01:53:04 +0100
Emanuel Berg wrote:

Mine are ex-military Britool from
a motorcycle autojumble. Not quite up to
Snap-On quality, but still good. I don't use
them them on bicycles though, just use my
hands ;-)

Shouldn't ex-military British stuff be
very good? Hey, it is where the industrial
revolution began.

And where supplying goods that were absolutely as in the shops but with
millitary markings applied for ten times the price began.

By the way, if the industrial revolution
happened in the southern hemisphere, do you
think we would put screws in the other
way around?

If they were all southpaws, yes.

Mike

Old March 7th 17, 07:47 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike Causer[_3_]

On Mon, 06 Mar 2017 15:22:54 -0800
Joerg wrote:

I use a regular wrench, note the length, calculate the required pull
force at the end and then I use a suitcase scales that my sister gave
me. A digital one with a hook where you normally lift a suitcase with
to see if it is still under the required 50lbs. Under $10.

To get to 150lbf-ft for the front wheel bearings on a BMC Mini (not the
BMW MINI) I'd put a stout tube on the end of the breaker bar then
calculate where to stand on it. To undo ditto but stand further out &
jump on the tube.

Mike

Old March 7th 17, 07:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Joerg wrote:

OK, now at least I know I was wrong the last
time I suspected I was wrong. How the ...
does that work...? Amazing, you pull a ring
and the hole thing tightens up?

scratching head

Which ring? The usual cassettes have a large
flat screw with a wide rim around it.

Yes.

BTW thanks for the YT links!

Indeed, there is no denying this can be done
without a torque wrench. I have seen supposedly
professional bike tools that are just a shaft
and then the special socket.

However a torque wrench kan be handy in other
cases as well, not just with bikes. With the
half-inch attachment.

Because I take it the special "closed-toothed"
socket (?) isn't used in other applications?
I only saw them on bikes, cranks (bigger) and
now the cassette, for sure.

- so far: 69 Blogomatic articles -
with: #moasen @ irc.freenode.net 6667
Old March 7th 17, 09:13 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-03-07 10:50, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Joerg wrote:

OK, now at least I know I was wrong the last
time I suspected I was wrong. How the ...
does that work...? Amazing, you pull a ring
and the hole thing tightens up?

scratching head

Which ring? The usual cassettes have a large
flat screw with a wide rim around it.

Yes.

BTW thanks for the YT links!

Indeed, there is no denying this can be done
without a torque wrench. I have seen supposedly
professional bike tools that are just a shaft
and then the special socket.

However a torque wrench kan be handy in other
cases as well, not just with bikes. With the
half-inch attachment.

Because I take it the special "closed-toothed"
socket (?) isn't used in other applications?
I only saw them on bikes, cranks (bigger) and
now the cassette, for sure.

Yeah, that's the bane of many bicycle parts. Instead of making the parts
so they fit regular wrenches you need a special tool for just about
everything beyond adjusting saddle or brakes. If you are serious about
servicing your bikes yourself get a complete toolkit. I have this kind:

http://www.nashbar.com/webapp/wcs/st...2_524452_-1___

Not everything in such kits is high-end but I found that if you are
using it just once in a while it's sufficient. Some things like the
triangular spoke wrench are really good. If there is nothing available
for a decent price in your country Rose in Germany seems to have similar
kits:

https://www.rosebikes.de/artikel/ros...fer/aid:711694

Unless you have very exotic parts on the bike that usually takes care of
all the common maintenance jobs. Jobs like "Oh, now my bottom bracket is
shot and I need to install a replacement" or "How do I get that
square-taper crank off?".

--
Regards, Joerg

http://www.analogconsultants.com/
Old March 7th 17, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Joerg wrote:

I use a regular wrench, note the length, calculate the required pull
force at the end and then I use a suitcase scales that my sister gave
me. A digital one with a hook where you normally lift a suitcase with
to see if it is still under the required 50lbs. Under $10.

To get to 150lbf-ft for the front wheel bearings on a BMC Mini (not the
BMW MINI) I'd put a stout tube on the end of the breaker bar then
calculate where to stand on it. To undo ditto but stand further out &
jump on the tube.

You must be a very lightweight guy. I'd have broken that off :-)

Old March 7th 17, 09:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Emanuel Berg wrote:

By the way, if the industrial revolution
happened in the southern hemisphere, do you
think we would put screws in the other
way around?

If they were all southpaws, yes.

But if clocks were first invented there, I'll bet they'd run
"counter-clockwise." Or "anti-clockwise." Or "widdershins."

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 7th 17, 09:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Joerg wrote:

I use a regular wrench, note the length, calculate the required pull
force at the end and then I use a suitcase scales that my sister gave
me. A digital one with a hook where you normally lift a suitcase with
to see if it is still under the required 50lbs. Under $10.

To get to 150lbf-ft for the front wheel bearings on a BMC Mini (not the
BMW MINI) I'd put a stout tube on the end of the breaker bar then
calculate where to stand on it. To undo ditto but stand further out &
jump on the tube.

Yep. I did the same thing with VW Bus rear axle nuts.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 7th 17, 09:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

Joerg wrote:

I use a regular wrench, note the length, calculate the required pull
force at the end and then I use a suitcase scales that my sister gave
me. A digital one with a hook where you normally lift a suitcase with
to see if it is still under the required 50lbs. Under $10.

To get to 150lbf-ft for the front wheel bearings on a BMC Mini (not the
BMW MINI) I'd put a stout tube on the end of the breaker bar then
calculate where to stand on it. To undo ditto but stand further out &
jump on the tube.

Yep. I did the same thing with VW Bus rear axle nuts.

When I was young I was tapping and fitting a large electrical cage. One
of the crane hooks (16mm metric thread) was recalcitrant, so I leaned in
and used a foot to push away and into the wrench when suddenly ...
*POCK* ... chingalingaling. I kept quiet, licked my wounds, drilled it
out and got another hook from the stock room. At the time of reckoning
the boss noticed five crane hooks on the BOM instead of four. "You did
WHAT? Wow. Show me!". Breaking that hook really impressed the guys :-)

Old March 7th 17, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg[_2_]

Joerg wrote:

Not everything in such kits is high-end but
I found that if you are using it just once in
a while it's sufficient. Some things like the
triangular spoke wrench are really good.
If there is nothing available for a decent
price in your country Rose in Germany seems to
have similar kits:

No, I like kits in terms of the most basic
which is combination spanners, sockets, bits,
ratchet driver and shaft, taps and cut, like
all-mechanic stuff, however for bike-specific
purposes I like to buy them one by one and
really get to enjoy getting them, doing "care
of kit", thinking what they can do, how - it is
a very pleasant game and I don't want to waste
it all at once

Unless you have very exotic parts

I have tools that are by now exotic - and
hopefully I'll paste a picture of some of them
tonight...

Old March 7th 17, 11:20 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Joerg[_2_]

On 2017-03-07 14:01, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Joerg wrote:

Not everything in such kits is high-end but
I found that if you are using it just once in
a while it's sufficient. Some things like the
triangular spoke wrench are really good.
If there is nothing available for a decent
price in your country Rose in Germany seems to
have similar kits:

No, I like kits in terms of the most basic
which is combination spanners, sockets, bits,
ratchet driver and shaft, taps and cut, like
all-mechanic stuff, however for bike-specific
purposes I like to buy them one by one and
really get to enjoy getting them, doing "care
of kit", thinking what they can do, how - it is
a very pleasant game and I don't want to waste
it all at once

Except then you get to pay a lot more money for the tools that cover all
aspects of your bicycles.

First I was pricing out the cassette insert, the BB tools, some other
stuff and soon this exceeded the cost of the whole kit but I didn't even
have cone wrenches yet (my old ones are too worn out). No spoke wrench
either. So I bought a kit for $50.

Unless you have very exotic parts

I have tools that are by now exotic - and
hopefully I'll paste a picture of some of them
tonight...

Yes, that would be nice. My longest lasting tools were usually my
home-made ones but in my case that's all electronics tools.

Clockwise or counter coterock Racing 7 February 15th 11 04:33 AM
Ride Report and Photos: Mt. Hamilton Loop Clockwise, April 2006 Bill Bushnell Rides 0 May 24th 06 03:38 PM
Where To Buy A 19" Arrow Rim? Evan Byrne Unicycling 7 October 20th 05 01:39 PM
Where To Buy A 19" Arrow Rim? Evan Byrne Unicycling 0 October 20th 05 12:45 AM
Priority Arrow Right Of Way Jack Ouzzi UK 37 November 14th 04 11:26 PM