Shifter cables 1.1mm vs 1.2mm

Old March 10th 17, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ixiz

Default Shifter cables 1.1mm vs 1.2mm

I only recently found out that there were 2 diameters and about to buy a box (100). I hate to buy the wrong diameter - most of my bikes are campy 9 and 10 speeds and eventually 11.

I am about to purchase a box and split with a friend but unsure which diameter to purchase.

IS there any guides as to which cables are for what models or just get the 1.2mm and call it a day.
Old March 10th 17, 11:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/10/2017 4:04 PM, ixiz wrote:
I only recently found out that there were 2 diameters and about to buy a box (100). I hate to buy the wrong diameter - most of my bikes are campy 9 and 10 speeds and eventually 11.

I am about to purchase a box and split with a friend but unsure which diameter to purchase.

IS there any guides as to which cables are for what models or just get the 1.2mm and call it a day.

Do not- and I cannot emphasize this strongly enough - DO NOT
install not-Campagnolo wires into your Ergo shifters[1].

The gear wire heads of the classic era were small, as
Campagnolo uses still. The revisionist modern larger gear
wire heads (everybody else who makes gear systems) will go
in, pop down inside the lever and only come out with extreme
effort = time = $$$.

[1] Big head wires in classic era downtube shifters are even
harder to remove, an often fatal exercise.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old March 11th 17, 01:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, March 10, 2017 at 5:55:05 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/10/2017 4:04 PM, ixiz wrote:
[...]

Dremel is your friend because a few quick light passes of the oversize cable head over a Dremel sanding drum will reduce the head in size so that it fits perfectly in the shifter without binding. I've been doing that with my 9-speed Mirage Ergos since about 2003 with no problems at all.

Cheers
Old March 11th 17, 01:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Fri, 10 Mar 2017 16:55:00 -0600, AMuzi wrote:

On 3/10/2017 4:04 PM, ixiz wrote:
I only recently found out that there were 2 diameters and about to buy a box (100). I hate to buy the wrong diameter - most of my bikes are campy 9 and 10 speeds and eventually 11.

I am about to purchase a box and split with a friend but unsure which diameter to purchase.

IS there any guides as to which cables are for what models or just get the 1.2mm and call it a day.

Do not- and I cannot emphasize this strongly enough - DO NOT
install not-Campagnolo wires into your Ergo shifters[1].

The gear wire heads of the classic era were small, as
Campagnolo uses still. The revisionist modern larger gear
wire heads (everybody else who makes gear systems) will go
in, pop down inside the lever and only come out with extreme
effort = time = $$$.

[1] Big head wires in classic era downtube shifters are even
harder to remove, an often fatal exercise.

"Fatal" You kill the shifter? The cable? The stupid customer? :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 11th 17, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 3/10/2017 4:04 PM, ixiz wrote:
[...]

Guys bring in drilled/crushed/macerated Campagnolo 1013
levers with cable stumps in the remains.

Old March 11th 17, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 3/10/2017 4:04 PM, ixiz wrote:
[...]

As opposed to clapping your hands with glee and saying, "Yes Sir! Here
we have the newest, upgraded, shifter, that is guaranteed to be
totally idiot proof. Just pass your credit card here for a moment" :-)

A notion apparently first mentioned in print by Thomas Tusser in "Five
Hundreth Pointes of Good Husbandrie", in 1573, the precise wording of
the expression comes just a little later, in Dr. John Bridges' Defence
of the Government of the Church of England, 1587:

"If they pay a penie or two pence more for the reddinesse of them..let
them looke to that, a foole and his money is soone parted."
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old March 11th 17, 03:35 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 3/10/2017 5:55 PM, AMuzi wrote:
On 3/10/2017 4:04 PM, ixiz wrote:
I only recently found out that there were 2 diameters and about to buy
a box (100). I hate to buy the wrong diameter - most of my bikes are
campy 9 and 10 speeds and eventually 11.

I am about to purchase a box and split with a friend but unsure which
diameter to purchase.

IS there any guides as to which cables are for what models or just get
the 1.2mm and call it a day.

Do not- and I cannot emphasize this strongly enough - DO NOT install
not-Campagnolo wires into your Ergo shifters[1].

The gear wire heads of the classic era were small, as Campagnolo uses
still. The revisionist modern larger gear wire heads (everybody else who
makes gear systems) will go in, pop down inside the lever and only come
out with extreme effort = time = $$$.

Lack of standardization on such simple things often astounds me. It
shouldn't, because it's so common. But it still astounds me.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old March 11th 17, 04:03 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Doug Landau

On 3/10/2017 4:04 PM, ixiz wrote:
[...]

Had he forgone the purple prose, his books might have been twenty percent shorter in print.
Old March 11th 17, 04:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On 3/10/2017 4:04 PM, ixiz wrote:
[...]

Ah but the Campy button is the original standard. The other larger ones were introduce a fair bit later by other companies who do NOT want standardization of components or parts.

Cheers
Old March 11th 17, 06:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 3/10/2017 4:04 PM, ixiz wrote:
[...]

Why should it. Here is a very small group that cannot agree on the
type of lights, chain lube, helmets, presidents, or practically
anything else.

Why should cable ends be different :-?
--
Cheers,