Struck by Lightning?

Old May 29th 05, 10:41 PM
Sheldon Brown

Default Struck by Lightning?

While out for a ride today, I got caught in a brief thundershower (sure
am glad my Rambouillet has fenders!)

It got me wondering, though--how much risk is there of being struck by
lightning while cycling? I wasn't too worried, being in rolling terrain
with trees and power lines all around, but maybe it's a greater risk in
treeless flatland?

Does anybody have any PERSONAL experience, either having been struck by
lighning or actually knowing someone who was struck by lightning while
riding a bike?

I don't want to hear about perceived "close calls", only cases where a
cyclist was actually struck.

Sheldon "ZAP!" Brown
| Men rarely (if ever) manage to dream up a god |
| superior to themselves. Most gods have the |
| manners and morals of a spoiled child. |
| --Robert A. Heinlein |
Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
http://harriscyclery.com
Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

Old May 29th 05, 11:28 PM
Roger Zoul

:
: It got me wondering, though--how much risk is there of being struck
: by lightning while cycling? I wasn't too worried, being in rolling
: terrain with trees and power lines all around, but maybe it's a
: greater risk in treeless flatland?
:
: Does anybody have any PERSONAL experience, either having been struck
: by lighning or actually knowing someone who was struck by lightning
: while riding a bike?
:
: I don't want to hear about perceived "close calls", only cases where
: a cyclist was actually struck.

If you hear of a cyclist being struck, will that tell you the risk?

I would have to think that the risk of being struck is greater IF you're the
tallest object around, for sure, as the moving charge will want to take the
path of least resistance - and open air ain't it. However, on a bike,
perhaps the path to ground is less attractive compared to if you're touching
the ground or standing on it. But perhaps riding on a metal bike would make
it more likely, as lightning will find it a more attractive path. Perhaps
moving through the air so quickly lets you accumulate a net charge - which
wouldn't be good if an oppositely charged cloud is about.

Bottom line: It ain't good to be riding your bike in a thunderstorm.
Lightning is way too unpredictable for anyone to tell you anything other
than don't be out there.

Old May 29th 05, 11:30 PM
Matt O'Toole

Sheldon Brown wrote:

While out for a ride today, I got caught in a brief thundershower
(sure am glad my Rambouillet has fenders!)

It got me wondering, though--how much risk is there of being struck by
lightning while cycling? I wasn't too worried, being in rolling
terrain with trees and power lines all around, but maybe it's a
greater risk in treeless flatland?

Does anybody have any PERSONAL experience, either having been struck
by lighning or actually knowing someone who was struck by lightning
while riding a bike?

I don't want to hear about perceived "close calls", only cases where a
cyclist was actually struck.

I was riding home from high school one day, trying to beat a horrendous
thunderstorm. About two blocks from my house, while going very slowly up a
steep hill, I felt my hair stand on end. Suddenly, lightning struck a very
large tree in a front yard right across the street, splitting it as if by a
giant axe, setting the whole thing on fire. The noise and flash were amazing.
I can't believe I didn't get hit. I've been in close proximity to other strikes
too, but nothing like this one!

You're protected in a car because the metal forms a protective cage around you.
But anywhere else near a lightning strike the chances of being hit are pretty
good. There are plenty of side currents besides the main path. In fact most
people hurt or killed by lightning are not hit directly.

Matt O.

Old May 30th 05, 12:01 AM

On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:41:15 -0400, Sheldon Brown
wrote:

[...]

Dear Mrs. McWilliams,

Of the ten uniformed Pueblo City police officers listed as
giving their lives in the line of duty from the first 1879
to the last (so far) in 1973 . . .

One was shot accidentally by a fellow officer.

Two shot themselves accidentally.

And one poor devil was struck by lightning in 1906 while on
horseback patrol and died a few days later.

I conclude that equestrians are more at risk than
bicyclists.

Google for "lightning deaths" and 2004 and you'll quickly
learn that about 50-75 people are killed every year in the
U.S. by lightning, typically in the open or under trees (I
try not to ponder that), with about half the victims being
struck after the storm has apparently passed.

Florida (followed by Texas) is the most dangerous state.
(Has anyone seen Phil Lee lately? Or a charred hatrack?)

Bicyclists are rarely found toasted, but here's a site that
mentions bicyclists struck in New Zealand, Nebraska,
Louisiana, Colorado, and Wisconsin:

http://www.struckbylightning.org/new...Incidentdb.cfm

Here's Mark Twain's take on the matter:

http://www.underthesun.cc/Classics/T...rrytales6.html

Possibly if you remove that plastic lightning-rod from your
helmet, you'll feel somewhat safer?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html

C. Steinmetz
Old May 30th 05, 02:20 AM
Marty

wrote:

[...]

Lightning of course likes pointy vertical things, but usually there's
that much power there it will take any path it damn well likes. I
wouldn't go tempting the gods.

Marty
Old May 30th 05, 02:55 AM
Zoot Katz

Sun, 29 May 2005 17:41:15 -0400, ,
Sheldon Brown wrote:

I don't want to hear about perceived "close calls", only cases where a
cyclist was actually struck.

Guy in Florida riding with his kids. (survived with minor injuries)
http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...t_6962184.html

Teen on a motorbike struck in Australia. (survived with major
injuries)
http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2004/...&oneclick=true

Man in KwaZulu-Natal South Africa struck while he was riding from work
(did not survive)
http://www.anc.org.za/ancdocs/pr/2001/pr1221b.html

Man in South Carolina hit by a tree that was struck (did not survive)
is one of several bicycle related lightning fatalities reported he
http://www.struckbylightning.org/new...Incidentdb.cfm
--
zk
Old May 30th 05, 02:24 PM
DD

Matt O'Toole wrote:
Sheldon Brown wrote:

[...]

Mine was a similar experience, caught out in a fast-moving storm and
several kms from town I tried to make it to the first piece of dry
ground I could find, even if it was only a concrete bus shelter. Got to
nearly 100m away when there was a bolt of lightning across the sky above
me and a strike into the industrial lot next to me. A very sudden
tightening of the chest and a greater appreciation of bus shelters
suddenly came to me. I don't want to feel that ever again.

I think that beats the time that kangaroo decided to escape by jump over
me as I cycled past.
Old May 30th 05, 06:49 PM
Dirtroadie

Bicyclists are rarely found toasted, but here's a site that
mentions bicyclists struck in New Zealand, Nebraska,
Louisiana, Colorado, and Wisconsin:

http://www.struckbylightning.org/new...Incidentdb.cfm

From that site:

"A woman was struck on a mountain ridge while riding a mountain bike
with 3 friends. The friends were uninjured. The victim was in between 2
other cyclists, seperated about 15 yard apart from each other. The 4th
cyclist was 75 yards further up the ridge when the lightning struck."

That took place on the "Telegraph" trail on this trail system (which
now also includes "Stacy's Loop," named after the victim)
http://www.trails2000.org/telegraph.html

- just a short distance up the trail from this spot:
http://www.trailcentral.com/gallery/...0454.thumb.jpg

The description suggests the rider was on top of a ridge when she was,
in fact, on a trail traversing a steep hillside well below the top of
the ridge. The spot is marked with a cross at the side of the trail.

DR

Old May 30th 05, 06:59 PM
Dirtroadie

I wrote:

- just a short distance up the trail from this spot:
http://www.trailcentral.com/gallery/...0454.thumb.jpg

Here's a larger image:
http://www.trailcentral.com/gallery/...h/DSCN0454.jpg

DR

Old May 30th 05, 08:06 PM
Werehatrack

On Sun, 29 May 2005 17:01:44 -0600, wrote:

Google for "lightning deaths" and 2004 and you'll quickly
learn that about 50-75 people are killed every year in the
U.S. by lightning, typically in the open or under trees (I
try not to ponder that), with about half the victims being
struck after the storm has apparently passed.

Florida (followed by Texas) is the most dangerous state.
(Has anyone seen Phil Lee lately? Or a charred hatrack?)

I wisely did not venture forth last evening during the thunderstorms,
and our afternoon ride concluded about half an hour before the storms
reached our area. Ergo, no smoking remains. (I will note that I have
been the subject of two near-miss events over the years, however, but
neither involved a bike.)

A quick perusal of the lists of incidents will show that farming is
the most common thread.

Bicyclists are rarely found toasted, but here's a site that
mentions bicyclists struck in New Zealand, Nebraska,
Louisiana, Colorado, and Wisconsin:

And Florida.

http://www.struckbylightning.org/new...Incidentdb.cfm

Possibly if you remove that plastic lightning-rod from your
helmet, you'll feel somewhat safer?

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/eagle.html

Why do I get the inescapable feeling that this is about to devolve
into a discussion of how carbon-framed bikes with carbon rims and
spokes are inherently safer than metal bikes because they don't
conduct electricity?
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Struck by Lightning? Sheldon Brown General 87 June 12th 05 11:42 PM
Mostly OT, lightning MartinM UK 37 August 6th 04 11:56 PM
White Lightning vs. Purple Extreme Monty Techniques 24 July 29th 04 02:10 AM
Another cyclist killed by lightning vernon levy UK 3 June 5th 04 09:42 AM
Thunderbolts and lightning Andrew Price General 13 February 13th 04 10:19 PM