problem with Trek 5200 WSD

Old June 16th 05, 02:18 PM
doug thomas

Default problem with Trek 5200 WSD

I bought my wife a Trek 5200 WSD with 650C wheels - She has flats
continuously. It seems very difficult to get the tire and tube over the rim.

The idiot kid that I spoke to at Sport Swap in Toronto suggested that I not
use a tire lever to put the tire on, and I find someone with strong forearms
to roll the tire on.

Is anyone aware of problems with the Bontrager 650 C wheels and difficulty
getting the tire and tube on, and pinching the tire.

Doug Thomas

Old June 16th 05, 02:43 PM
Callistus Valerius

I bought my wife a Trek 5200 WSD with 650C wheels - She has flats
continuously. It seems very difficult to get the tire and tube over the

rim.

The idiot kid that I spoke to at Sport Swap in Toronto suggested that I

not
use a tire lever to put the tire on, and I find someone with strong

forearms
to roll the tire on.

Is anyone aware of problems with the Bontrager 650 C wheels and difficulty
getting the tire and tube on, and pinching the tire.

Doug Thomas

I doubt it's the wheel. Maybe the tire. Do they make 25 wide 650
tires? If they do, try one of those. 25's are usually easier to get on.
Different brands of tires, usually make a difference too. I always thought
Michelins were hard to get on Rolfs. But you could go with the Sport Swap
kid and grow some bigger forearms.

Old June 16th 05, 02:44 PM
Andy M-S

The idiot kid is right. Tire levers should never be used in putting on
tires--only in getting them off.

I find it easiest to partially inflate the tube (just fill it, don't
let it stretch) before putting on the tire.

First I fill the tube, then I mount one side of the tire, then I load
the tube into the tire, and start pressing the second bead over the rim
using my thumbs, starting at the side opposite the valve. As I move
toward the valve, I let just a little air out of the tube, as needed.
This keeps the tube inflated and avoids pinch flats. You may need to
let more air out as you proceed.

Finally, you should be able to wrestle the last bit of bead over the
rim as you reach the valve. Reinflate the tube JUST A LITTLE, so the
tire is tensioned, then work your way around the wheel, pressing in the
sidewalls, making sure the bead is seated and the tube isn't caught
between the bead and the rim.

Once you've done this, you should be able to inflate to full pressure
with confidence.

Old June 16th 05, 03:28 PM
Art Harris

doug thomas wrote:

I bought my wife a Trek 5200 WSD with 650C wheels - She has flats
continuously. It seems very difficult to get the tire and tube over the rim.

Two issues he
1) Getting flats continuously
2) Difficult to mount tire

You first have to find out what's causing the flats. Are you sure
something isn't embedded in the tire? Riding through glass or thorns
or whatever? Or are you pinching the tube when mounting the tire?

For really difficult tire/rim combinations, you might want to try this:
http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/acces...l#tirebeadjack

Art Harris

Old June 16th 05, 03:33 PM

doug thomas wrote:
I bought my wife a Trek 5200 WSD with 650C wheels - She has flats
continuously. It seems very difficult to get the tire and tube over the rim.

The idiot kid that I spoke to at Sport Swap in Toronto suggested that I not
use a tire lever to put the tire on, and I find someone with strong forearms
to roll the tire on.

Is anyone aware of problems with the Bontrager 650 C wheels and difficulty
getting the tire and tube on, and pinching the tire.

Doug Thomas

1. Learn better technique for installing tires and tubes.
2. Try different tires, some are easier to get on than others.
3. Try thinner rim tape. 3M packing tape, two layers, is thinner than
cloth tape.
4. Crank Brothers makes a little plastic device to get tough tires on.
It works. $6 well spent. Carry it with you on the road. Park makes a
steel version $28 that does the same thing if you want a shop tool.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...eid=&pagename=

http://www.excelsports.com/new.asp?p...ajor=6&minor=2

Old June 17th 05, 01:56 AM
John

doug thomas wrote:
It seems very difficult to get the tire and tube over the rim.
Doug Thomas

Try pinching the one side of the tire so it fits all the way into the
"well" of the rim which will give you slack on the other side of the
tire to pull the tire over the rim as described here
http://www.jimlangley.net/wrench/flattiretwo.htm#1

It works for me every time.
Hope this helps
John

Old June 17th 05, 01:19 PM
John Everett

On 16 Jun 2005 06:44:38 -0700, "Andy M-S"
wrote:

The idiot kid is right. Tire levers should never be used in putting on
tires--only in getting them off.

Easy to say if you've never faced some of the more difficult rim/tire
combinations. While I agree putting tires on using only one's thumbs
is preferable, there are many, many times I've had to resort to tire
irons (tire plastics?).

The worst combination I've ever faced was Trek Matrix ISO-CIIs and
Michelin Hi-Lite Bi-Synergic 700x20s. I recall one time when I flatted
one of my riding companions said she timed me trying to get this tire
off the rim at 21 minutes. :-(

jeverett3ATearthlinkDOTnet http://home.earthlink.net/~jeverett3

rebuilt old Trek 800 - but derailleur problem BORT Techniques 1 January 10th 05 03:27 PM
TREK 5200 headsets hgl Techniques 1 September 19th 04 01:37 PM
Trek 5200 discontinued. Callistus Valerius Techniques 11 August 21st 04 12:13 AM
FS: Excellent Trek 5200 OCLV frame + fork 58cm carbon $730 kepler1 Marketplace 1 June 2nd 04 08:01 PM
2004 - Trek 1400? Trek 1200? comments? yuri budilov Techniques 1 April 4th 04 10:53 PM