loose handlebar handle

Old April 23rd 16, 07:18 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Emanuel Berg

Default loose handlebar handle

With grip shifters especially, it happens that the
handle gets loose pretty quickly. Often you screw it
around and push it in and think, there, it sticks, but
sooner rather than later it is loose anew and it is as
big a surprise every time that the screwing didn't
work this time either. I thought about using some
glue, or perhaps pushing in little fragments of some
material (sand perhaps) to fill the gap and make for
more friction, but I'd be happy to hear what you
guys do.

- so far: 29 Blogomatic articles -
Old April 23rd 16, 01:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 4/23/2016 1:18 AM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
With grip shifters especially, it happens that the
handle gets loose pretty quickly. Often you screw it
around and push it in and think, there, it sticks, but
sooner rather than later it is loose anew and it is as
big a surprise every time that the screwing didn't
work this time either. I thought about using some
glue, or perhaps pushing in little fragments of some
material (sand perhaps) to fill the gap and make for
more friction, but I'd be happy to hear what you
guys do.

The shifter has a clamping screw. Remove that, oil the
thread and fasten securely.

If you meant the rubber grip, not the shifter, remove it,
clean the handlebar and the inside of the grip with alcohol
or disc brake cleaner. Slip it on with compressed air under
the grip. Once it's clean and dry they stay in place without
adhesives.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 24th 16, 09:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Steve Patriquen

On Saturday, April 23, 2016 at 7:18:17 AM UTC+1, Emanuel Berg wrote:
With grip shifters especially, it happens that the
handle gets loose pretty quickly. Often you screw it
around and push it in and think, there, it sticks, but
sooner rather than later it is loose anew and it is as
big a surprise every time that the screwing didn't
work this time either. I thought about using some
glue, or perhaps pushing in little fragments of some
material (sand perhaps) to fill the gap and make for
more friction, but I'd be happy to hear what you
guys do.

- so far: 29 Blogomatic articles -

We always used hairspray. Basically a thin clear lacquer, when it dries it is like glue (so removal will require scraping).

But you can also get Grip-shift length "lock-on" grips with the metal clamp rings on the ends now.

JMS on the loose again Squashme UK 25 September 10th 10 10:15 AM
New coker unicycle handlebar / handle corbin Unicycling 7 November 30th 07 02:35 AM
New coker unicycle handlebar / handle corbin Unicycling 20 November 29th 07 10:55 AM
My Saddles lift handle keeps coming loose... uniska Unicycling 2 March 22nd 07 02:31 AM
Never loose a bet Parbs Australia 7 December 7th 04 12:06 AM