Taxi (the movie)

Old November 13th 04, 06:55 AM
Tamyka Bell

Default Taxi (the movie)

I saw Taxi today. I didn't really have any expectations going in and it
got a few laughs. What impressed me was (1) the crazy cycle messenger
start scene and (2) crazy cycle messengers later in the film looking
cool. I haven't seen many mainstream Hollywood movies featuring special
cycle appearances before, you know? Just crappy ones like City of Angels
where she dies by riding a bike without a helmet, and then doesn't look
where she's going and rides straight into a logging truck.

I actually read over this post before posting it and have decided that I
should explain "crazy" is a good thing.
Old November 13th 04, 07:58 AM
hippy

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message
I saw Taxi today. I didn't really have any expectations going in and it
got a few laughs. What impressed me was (1) the crazy cycle messenger
start scene and (2) crazy cycle messengers later in the film looking
cool. I haven't seen many mainstream Hollywood movies featuring special
cycle appearances before, you know? Just crappy ones like City of Angels
where she dies by riding a bike without a helmet, and then doesn't look
where she's going and rides straight into a logging truck.

I've not seen it but this movie was bagged quite
heavily on a messenger board :-)
It's the one where a courier somehow manages
to afford to supercharge a taxi or sumfink right?

hippy at work (please kill me!)

Old November 13th 04, 12:33 PM
Tamyka Bell

hippy wrote:

"Tamyka Bell" wrote in message
I saw Taxi today. I didn't really have any expectations going in and it
got a few laughs. What impressed me was (1) the crazy cycle messenger
start scene and (2) crazy cycle messengers later in the film looking
cool. I haven't seen many mainstream Hollywood movies featuring special
cycle appearances before, you know? Just crappy ones like City of Angels
where she dies by riding a bike without a helmet, and then doesn't look
where she's going and rides straight into a logging truck.

I've not seen it but this movie was bagged quite
heavily on a messenger board :-)
It's the one where a courier somehow manages
to afford to supercharge a taxi or sumfink right?

Well, yeah... but the story is she bought the car and had been working
on it for five years, and as her departure and "congrats on your taxi
licence" gift from the courier company (as the only female and the
fastest team member), they all chip in and buy her a supercharger. So
they managed quite nicely to get around the "barely can afford to buy
bread and baked beans" aspect.

Oh why am I still here? Time for sleep, start again at 4 am or so.
Old November 13th 04, 11:28 PM
hippy

"Tamyka Bell"
I've not seen it but this movie was bagged quite
heavily on a messenger board :-)
It's the one where a courier somehow manages
to afford to supercharge a taxi or sumfink right?

Well, yeah... but the story is she bought the car and had been working
on it for five years, and as her departure and "congrats on your taxi
licence" gift from the courier company (as the only female and the
fastest team member), they all chip in and buy her a supercharger. So
they managed quite nicely to get around the "barely can afford to buy
bread and baked beans" aspect.

I'm reading "Nerves of Steel" a book about messengers in
the US written by Rebecca "Lambchop" Riley(sp?)..
A company buying a supercharger for a rider sounds even
less likely than them buying it themselves! :-)
From what I gather, taxi's are the devil if you're on a bike,
so it's hard to believe she would start driving taxis after
messing..

Oh why am I still here? Time for sleep, start again at 4 am or so.

You like mindless conversation about whether or not couriers
can afford superchargers for their new taxis? ;-)

hippy

Old November 14th 04, 12:08 AM
Andrew Price

hippy wrote:

I'm reading "Nerves of Steel" a book about messengers in
the US written by Rebecca "Lambchop" Riley(sp?)..

A cycling video/dvd in a similar vein is the French/Canadian "2 seconds" -
after watching it you will never ever contemplate borrowing a bidon from a
courier.

Wonderful scene with the ex roadie domestique now a crusty old bike shop
proprietor arguing with the heroine (an ex hot shot downhill racer) about
who suffered more for their sport - while they demolish a bottle of scotch
and form a friendship preserved in ethanol.

Just the sort of movie that SBS should screen while we are all waiting for a
live cross to the tdf - a review is at -

http://www.canoe.ca/JamMoviesCanadianT/two.html

best, Andrew

Old November 14th 04, 12:11 AM
hippy

"Andrew Price"
hippy wrote:
I'm reading "Nerves of Steel" a book about messengers in
the US written by Rebecca "Lambchop" Riley(sp?)..

A cycling video/dvd in a similar vein is the French/Canadian "2 seconds" -
after watching it you will never ever contemplate borrowing a bidon from a
courier.

I'm turning into a bit of a collector as far as cycling
books and movies go.. I've got this one as well. I
haven't watched it yet though.. soon my pretties..

hippy

Old November 14th 04, 10:39 AM
Isaac Roberts

I've not seen it but this movie was bagged quite
heavily on a messenger board :-)

The original (French) version had the main character delivering pizzas
on a motorbike before getting his taxi. Was playing on SBS a few months ago.

I was a little incredulous that Queen Latifah would actually be able to
ride a bike like that ... she's a big woman and cycle messengers tend to
be a little fitter than that. Other than that, it was a pretty good remake.
Old November 15th 04, 03:22 AM
byron27

Isaac Roberts Wrote:

I've not seen it but this movie was bagged quit
heavily on a messenger board :-

The original (French) version had the main character delivering pizza
on a motorbike before getting his taxi. Was playing on SBS a few month
ago

I was a little incredulous that Queen Latifah would actually be able t
ride a bike like that ... she's a big woman and cycle messengers ten
be a little fitter than that. Other than that, it was a pretty goo
remake.

i really enjoyed the original french version, and the follow up, but
havent seen taxi 3 yet

does anyone remember an old tv series that used to be on the ABC (
think) that was centred around a courier company in london

--
byron2

6'5", curly hair, bit like krusty the clown i spose

Old November 15th 04, 04:23 AM
hippy

"byron27"
does anyone remember an old tv series that used to be on the ABC (i
think) that was centred around a courier company in london?

I LOVED that show!! I have absolutely no idea
what it was called but I vaguely remember the first
episode where there was a race between the
couriers.. maybe a motorbike vs. bicycle?

Got any more info on it?

hippy

Old November 15th 04, 05:42 AM
byron27

hippy Wrote:
"byron27"
does anyone remember an old tv series that used to be on the ABC (
think) that was centred around a courier company in london

I LOVED that show!! I have absolutely no ide
what it was called but I vaguely remember the firs
episode where there was a race between th
couriers.. maybe a motorbike vs. bicycle

Got any more info on it

hippy

nah, i only remember watching it after school and then a few years ag
they had it on early in the morning for a while

there might be something on it at 'www.messengers.org
(http://www.messengers.org

unicycle in movie eljest Unicycling 2 April 28th 05 04:23 AM
Short muni movie - Mt Cootha group ride... andrew_carter Unicycling 6 April 25th 05 02:53 PM
Movie: Andrew and Tony in New Zealand... andrew_carter Unicycling 17 March 2nd 05 09:37 AM
Hit by taxi yesterday Andrew Reddaway Australia 13 October 4th 04 12:27 PM
Putting cyclists at risk Wallace Shackleton UK 25 March 19th 04 11:51 AM