Connex 10 speed link for Shimano chain

Old January 17th 06, 05:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Connex 10 speed link for Shimano chain

I see some places selling a 6.1mm Shimano compatible Connex link.
Has anybody used one of these?
I just don't feel secure with the Shimano 10 speed pin.

Thanks - Joel

Old January 17th 06, 05:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

seacrh for connex links in tech archives
i bought two and no connex 8 speed does not fit a shimano hg50 8
connex plates the link thicker than shimano-including the pin
the links - maybe sheldon brown?? - contain a measurement post
home depot has a nice triangular file...
the connex design could be an upgrade
but a sram hyperlink works through 3 chains if all is kept clean and
lubed
how the connex wears with excess plating filed off is as yet unknown

Old January 18th 06, 03:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 17 Jan 2006 09:44:42 -0800, "Joel" wrote:

I see some places selling a 6.1mm Shimano compatible Connex link.
Has anybody used one of these?
I just don't feel secure with the Shimano 10 speed pin.

Personally, I don't like the way the Connex link works.

The IRD snap link works just like the SRAM power link, but is 10 speed
compatible (one for Shimano, one for Campy):

http://www.interlocracing.com/chains.html
Old January 18th 06, 06:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Joel wrote:
I see some places selling a 6.1mm Shimano compatible Connex link.
Has anybody used one of these?
I just don't feel secure with the Shimano 10 speed pin.

Thanks - Joel

The Connex link is more convenient than the SRAM type, since it truly
can be opened even when the chain is gritty. The mechanism seems also
less secure than the SRAM one. If the chain doubles up on itself, the
link could slide loose. However, that's never happened to me in appr.
7000km.

Jan
Old January 18th 06, 12:46 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jan Lindstrom wrote:
Joel wrote:
I see some places selling a 6.1mm Shimano compatible Connex link.
Has anybody used one of these?
I just don't feel secure with the Shimano 10 speed pin.

Thanks - Joel

The Connex link is more convenient than the SRAM type, since it truly
can be opened even when the chain is gritty. The mechanism seems also
less secure than the SRAM one. If the chain doubles up on itself, the
link could slide loose. However, that's never happened to me in appr.
7000km.

I can open both the 7/8-speed and 9-speed SRAM Power Links on a dirty
chain, but it requires pliers (and yes, I carry pliers when riding).

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 19th 06, 10:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

months after the original connex to shimano discussions
sitting at lunch outside or at the word processor inside the library
came an anguished cry-
"the post is plated!"