cycle to work scheme implementers

Old April 17th 08, 01:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
didds

Default cycle to work scheme implementers

being self e,ployed via my own ltd company (and being paid via PAYE of
course) I have the felxinility to use the cycle to work cheme without
any employer hassles etc.

As such, I see that there are varuous "implementers" available to make
the scheme work - e.g www.cyclescheme.co.uk, http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk
etc

Anyone any expereince of using one of these faciliotators? Any of
them better than others etc?

cheers
ian
Old April 17th 08, 01:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"didds" wrote in message
being self e,ployed via my own ltd company (and being paid via PAYE of
course) I have the felxinility to use the cycle to work cheme without
any employer hassles etc.

As such, I see that there are varuous "implementers" available to make
the scheme work - e.g www.cyclescheme.co.uk,
http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk
etc

Anyone any expereince of using one of these faciliotators? Any of
them better than others etc?

If you're your own ltd company there's no gain through using one of these.
No need to do it via salary sacrifice either, or any credit issues. Company
buys the bike, you ride it.
Not doing it via credit means you don't have a 1000 quid limit either.

You'll have to account for the bike as an asset in the company accounts, but
that's not really a great pain.

cheers,
clive

Old April 17th 08, 01:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
didds

On 17 Apr, 13:35, "Clive George" wrote:

If you're your own ltd company there's no gain through using one of these.
No need to do it via salary sacrifice either, or any credit issues. Company
buys the bike, you ride it.
Not doing it via credit means you don't have a 1000 quid limit either.

You'll have to account for the bike as an asset in the company accounts, but
that's not really a great pain.

I hadn;t thought ofd that Clive!

So - ltd. co. buys the bike, and it is a company asset.

I - as an employee - get to "hold" the bike (cf company car) which I
use for trips to and from work (or part trips etc) and other bsiness
mileage. I also get to use the bike at weekends and holidays (cf
company car).

Is that right?

No benefit in kind, or equivalent of car tax(or whatever company car
owners get hit by) ?

Presumably once the bike has passed to "depreciation period" (car is
4 years? bike would be... ?) the company could sell the bike ...
probably to me. Yes?

???

cheers for the quick repsonse too!

cheers

ian
Old April 17th 08, 02:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"didds" wrote in message
On 17 Apr, 13:35, "Clive George" wrote:

If you're your own ltd company there's no gain through using one of
these.
No need to do it via salary sacrifice either, or any credit issues.
Company
buys the bike, you ride it.
Not doing it via credit means you don't have a 1000 quid limit either.

You'll have to account for the bike as an asset in the company accounts,
but
that's not really a great pain.

I hadn;t thought ofd that Clive!

So - ltd. co. buys the bike, and it is a company asset.

Yup.

I - as an employee - get to "hold" the bike (cf company car) which I
use for trips to and from work (or part trips etc) and other bsiness
mileage. I also get to use the bike at weekends and holidays (cf
company car).

Is that right?

Yup.

No benefit in kind, or equivalent of car tax(or whatever company car
owners get hit by) ?

Yup - no tax on the benefit, so long as it gets used for some work use or
commuting. If it's not used for work use or commuting, you're on dodgier
ground but TBH they're not going to check.
And no equivalent to the company car tax either.

Presumably once the bike has passed to "depreciation period" (car is
4 years? bike would be... ?) the company could sell the bike ...
probably to me. Yes?

Depreciate however you like. 25% on a reducing balance will match what
you're allowed in corporation tax allowances - it is an asset, not a running
cost. But I guess you have other assets which you already handle.
Sell the bike when you want - TBH I wouldn't bother if the company is
running fine. Remember if your company is VAT registered you'll have to pay
VAT when you buy the bike off them.

Disclaimer - I am not an accountant :-)

cheers,
clive

Old April 17th 08, 05:28 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Nigel Cliffe

Clive George wrote:
"didds" wrote in message
On 17 Apr, 13:35, "Clive George" wrote:

If you're your own ltd company there's no gain through using one of
these.
No need to do it via salary sacrifice either, or any credit issues.
Company
buys the bike, you ride it.
Not doing it via credit means you don't have a 1000 quid limit
either. You'll have to account for the bike as an asset in the company
accounts, but
that's not really a great pain.

I hadn;t thought ofd that Clive!

So - ltd. co. buys the bike, and it is a company asset.

I agree with Clive's answers. Just one extra detail, you must offer the
same deal to all employees. They needn't take it, you just have to offer it.
So, if you have other employees you may want to consider the impact.

Net you are spending the company's money on a bike, claiming back the VAT,
avoiding corporation tax (as its spent before the profit is calculated) and
then lending the assest to an employee (yourself).

Provided you undertake to do the officially outlined share of journeys by
the bike, its tax free (ie. not a Benefit-in-kind). The rules say that you
don't need to keep records of the journeys.
You can no longer claim 20p/mile for bicycle mileage as you are no longer
using a private bicycle for that mileage (instead you are using the company
asset, but I think the company can also pay for maintenance of its
assets...). I doubt the bike mileage claim tax benefit could
counter-balance the advantages for a new purchase.

- Nigel (co-owner/director of small limited company)

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

Old April 17th 08, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
naked_draughtsman[_3_]

On Thu, 17 Apr 2008 05:50:40 -0700, didds wrote:
Presumably once the bike has passed to "depreciation period" (car is
4 years? bike would be... ?) the company could sell the bike ...
probably to me. Yes?

Yes.

With the regular bike to work scheme the employee hires the bike from the
company (paid for with salary sacrifice) then after the hire period ends
(which coincidentally is when the sum of the hire charges equals the cost
of the bike to the employer) the employer needs to dispose of the asset.

The employee is usually required to pay an amount for the bike
which is probably something equivalent to the resale value of the second
hand item (e.g. £10). This can't be advertised at the start of the hire
agreement (because then it becomes a hire purchase agreement?). The fee
may also be used to prove that the company has sold the item to someone
rather than the company disposing of waste to an unlicensed person.

This info is what I've gathered from the discussions we've had about it at
work. The details seem really picky but in a way it is a government
endorsed tax fiddle so it is to be expected!

peter
Old April 17th 08, 11:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Oldfield[_2_]

"Clive George" wrote in message
"didds" wrote in message
being self e,ployed via my own ltd company (and being paid via PAYE of
course) I have the felxinility to use the cycle to work cheme without
any employer hassles etc.

As such, I see that there are varuous "implementers" available to make
the scheme work - e.g www.cyclescheme.co.uk,
http://www.cyclesolutions.co.uk
etc

Anyone any expereince of using one of these faciliotators? Any of
them better than others etc?

I have no idea of their relative merits, but cyclescheme is run by a couple
of guys who used to run my LBS. They're good blokes.

Old April 18th 08, 01:10 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
OG

"didds" wrote in message

No benefit in kind, or equivalent of car tax(or whatever company car
owners get hit by) ?

Yup - no tax on the benefit, so long as it gets used for some work use or
commuting. If it's not used for work use or commuting, you're on dodgier
ground but TBH they're not going to check.

I winced when I read that 'but TBH they're not going to check'

Of course it's a myth to think that POBs are all honest, legal, decent and
truthful (with good teeth and the ability to sit down and effortlessly
entertain at the piano), but I don't like to think that we would, in any
way, think that that is 'acceptable' - after all, if that is 'OK', why not
any form of tax evasion you think you might get away with?

Old April 18th 08, 01:25 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Clive George

"didds" wrote in message

No benefit in kind, or equivalent of car tax(or whatever company car
owners get hit by) ?

Yup - no tax on the benefit, so long as it gets used for some work use or
commuting. If it's not used for work use or commuting, you're on dodgier
ground but TBH they're not going to check.

I winced when I read that 'but TBH they're not going to check'

Of course it's a myth to think that POBs are all honest, legal, decent and
truthful (with good teeth and the ability to sit down and effortlessly
entertain at the piano), but I don't like to think that we would, in any
way, think that that is 'acceptable' - after all, if that is 'OK', why
not any form of tax evasion you think you might get away with?

Wince away. I'm in the position where I could have probably tried it, but
didn't. I'm moderately sure that a (ex?) contributor to this NG got a
full-sus MTB on the scheme, which I'm betting doesn't get used for
business/commuting. I also know somebody who did it fully legitimately after
my advice - so that covers all the scenarios.

didds asked about the rules. I've told him the rules. I've told him what the
practice is too. This is providing information, not useless handwringing.

clive

Old April 18th 08, 01:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
OG

"didds" wrote in message

[...]

OK, maybe you have an antipathy to 'useless handwringing'; however, I don't
think it's OK to promote (or condone) a culture of attempting to get away
with 'dodgy grounds' behaviour.

Cycle To Work scheme (again) Simon L UK 2 June 21st 07 01:51 PM
FUD: Cycle To Work scheme 'rejected' by my employer zvesda UK 19 August 11th 06 09:42 PM
CYcle to Work Scheme - who pays what, when? BB UK 14 August 1st 06 08:08 PM
Cycle to work scheme... paul UK 16 May 9th 06 09:51 AM
Cycle to work scheme peacock suit UK 14 September 18th 05 03:49 AM