cycling in NYC

Old April 7th 16, 12:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default cycling in NYC

Moses came from Egypt Did they use shekels in Egypt?

https://goo.gl/VqSe1F

Old April 7th 16, 12:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Thu, 7 Apr 2016 04:03:29 -0700 (PDT), Steve Patriquen
wrote:

Any knife with a locking blade is illegal in the UK (even a 1" blade if it locks) and in the city will probably result in arrest and possibly jail time. Non-locking knives are limited to 3.5" blades, but can still be confiscated if carried (for example) on public transport.

Police often set up metal detectors at major train stations, for example. Tradesmen have been "done" for having a box cutter in their van (after work, drop off tools, go to pub or else). Plenty of horror stories about innocents being arrested.

And knife crime/murders? Makes no difference at all, as far as stats go

- SteveP

If I remember correctly one of the terrorists that knocked down the
N.Y Trade Center had a "Box Cutter" on his person when he checked in
and it was found.... but as the blade was so short he was allowed to
carry it in his pocket.

On Thursday, April 7, 2016 at 1:26:31 AM UTC+1, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 6 Apr 2016 12:03:30 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sunday, March 20, 2016 at 4:44:03 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
On Sat, 19 Mar 2016 11:40:01 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

Today's ride

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.2569994

Interesting. From the article:
"The stabbing comes amid a citywide spike in blade attacks.

As of March 13, police have investigated 809 stabbings citywide this
year, compared to 673 investigations by the same point last year a 20%
jump."

Gee and they told us that as soon as they got the guns registered
there would be "peace for our times".
--
cheers,

John B.

I demand knife control.

Don't laugh. I believe that both Australia and England have such a
thing. From what I read if the police catch you walking down the
street with a 14" Chef's knife in your belt you are in trouble. But of
curse if it is properly packaged (tied to a cardboard label) and
carried in a plastic bag then you are o.k. :-)

A recent Japanese "Slasher" stopped in a cooking goods shop and bought
a knife on the way to the school where he started cutting up kids.
--

Cheers,

John B.

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old April 7th 16, 01:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/news/693992/posts

Old April 7th 16, 05:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

wrote:

[...]

Hmm. No box cutter was found in the debris of the plane and the tower it
demolished, so that means the terrorists didn't use a box cutter?

Sounds like the National Boxcutter Association is hard at work, defending our
God given right to carry box cutters wherever we like!

- Frank Krygowski
Old April 7th 16, 08:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...this-year.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old April 7th 16, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

Be careful if you carry a knife in NYC. Knife control is alive and well
there, although there are signs that this particular law may be
repealed.

http://www.villagevoice.com/news/how...n-jail-6662589
Old April 8th 16, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

wrote:

[...]

I don't remember reading about any remains of the terrorists being
found in the debris either. Does that mean that they weren't there
(:-?

--

Cheers,

John B.
Old April 8th 16, 02:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Radey Shouman

wrote:

[...]

One of their passports turned up tout de suite. Supposedly a bystander
found it on the street and handed it to a cop.

Old April 8th 16, 11:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_4_]

wrote:

[...]

My point was that box cutters were not illegal to carry on a plane at the
time so the idea that security was somehow negligent if the allowed this
isn't correct. And then secondly there is 0 evidence that box cutters were
even involved.

If I said something like "I seem to remember reading somewhere that cycling
is more dangerous than gardening" I would be challenged immediately to show
proof.

This thread seems to have turned into a defence of guns based on the fact
that knives kill too.

--
duane
Old April 8th 16, 11:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 4/8/2016 3:24 AM, Duane wrote:

If I said something like "I seem to remember reading somewhere that cycling
is more dangerous than gardening" I would be challenged immediately to show
proof.

You could just make up the proof, so that would not be much of a
challenge. No one would believe you, but that would only be a problem if
you cared about being believed.