Biker killed by Pick up

Old November 2nd 04, 04:08 PM
Mudflap

Default Biker killed by Pick up

Last Friday a bike rider was hit and killed by a pickup truck on a road
our club rides almost every week. Not many details are known yet but the
rider was a very experienced rider and rode often.
Here is a message from one of our club leaders. To me this is just
another senseless murder. I live in Prescott, AZ

************************

Most riders who have been in town for very long knew Steve Walters and
his love of cycling. As most of you now know, Steve was killed on a
morning bike ride on Williamson Valley Road Friday morning 10-29-04.
There will be a memorial service for him this Thursday evening
11-04-2004 at the old Sam Hill Warehouse that has access from both
Sheldon and Granite Streets back by the railroad trestle behind Granite
Creek Park. The service will be held at 7:00 p.m.

Steve's wife, Ann, lives in Mountain Club with their son, John. There
older son, Dan, attends college in New York. An account has been set up
in Ann Walter's name at the Stockman's Bank. All deposits to this
account will go toward Dan and John's education. There is a separate
fund at Prescott College in Steve Walters name. Steve was the Dean of
Adult Degree Programs there. These funds would be a great way to support
the family in lieu of flowers.
Old November 3rd 04, 01:02 PM
Dick Durbin

Mudflap wrote in message thlink.net...
Last Friday a bike rider was hit and killed by a pickup truck on a road
our club rides almost every week. Not many details are known yet but the
rider was a very experienced rider and rode often.
Here is a message from one of our club leaders. To me this is just
another senseless murder. I live in Prescott, AZ

How do you know it was murder? Do you know if there was some
premeditated malice? Is there some signifigance to the fact that he
was hit by someone driving a pickup truck?
Dick Durbin

Old November 3rd 04, 05:32 PM
Mudflap

Dick Durbin wrote:
Mudflap wrote in message thlink.net...

Last Friday a bike rider was hit and killed by a pickup truck on a road
our club rides almost every week. Not many details are known yet but the
rider was a very experienced rider and rode often.
Here is a message from one of our club leaders. To me this is just
another senseless murder. I live in Prescott, AZ

How do you know it was murder? Do you know if there was some
premeditated malice? Is there some signifigance to the fact that he
was hit by someone driving a pickup truck?
Dick Durbin

Same pickup driver has ran over 25 club riders off the same road in last
2 years. Once he even had to call a wrecker to pull his truck out of the
ditch he forced rider into. You figure it out

Old November 3rd 04, 09:43 PM
Olebiker

Has anyone ever pressed charges against the driver?

Old November 3rd 04, 09:43 PM
Olebiker

Has anyone ever pressed charges against the driver?

Old November 3rd 04, 10:53 PM
Edward Dike, III

"Mudflap" wrote in message
hlink.net...
| Same pickup driver has ran over 25 club riders off the same road in last
| 2 years. Once he even had to call a wrecker to pull his truck out of the
| ditch he forced rider into. You figure it out

That's quite a story.

It's rather amazing that nothing of it comes up on an initial Google
search.....
Although there is a story of a mountain lion being 'murdered'(sic)....
http://arizona.indymedia.org/news/2004/05/18654.php

ED3

Old November 3rd 04, 10:53 PM
Edward Dike, III

hlink.net...

Old November 4th 04, 01:13 AM
MRiordan95

In article , "Edward Dike, III"
writes:

It's rather amazing that nothing of it comes up on an initial Google
search.....

Google "Precott Arizona bicycle" and the story comes right up. Looks like an
accident and not "murder".

From the Prescott Daily Courier -

Cold weather, rain cause slew of accidents Friday morning
Bicycle-versus-automobile incident results in fatality
By MIRSADA BURIC-ADAM

The Daily Courier PRESCOTT - Freezing temperatures over night turned wet
surfaces of local roads - but mainly in Prescott - into black ice that caused
at least 15 accidents Friday morning, including one that claimed the life of a
Prescott College dean.

Steven Craig Walters, 55 and dean of the Adult Degree Programs, died in a
bicycle-automobile accident on Williamson Valley Road.

According to a Yavapai County Sheriff's Office (YCSO) report, at around 7:45
a.m. Walters was northbound on Williamson Valley Road just north of Sylvan
Drive when he, for unknown reasons, lost control of his bicycle.

Witnesses at the scene said that his bike fell into the path of a trailer that
a vehicle behind Walters was pulling, according to the report. Weather
conditions do appear to have been the cause of the accident but the
investigation into this accident is pending, the YCSO said.

Prescott College President Dan Garvey said, according to a press release, "the
Prescott College community is in shock. This is a tremendous loss for us and we
are all grieving. We send our heartfelt sympathy to his family."

In addition to devoting himself to education, Walters was an avid biker,
according to the press release.

"He rode about 30 to 50 miles a day," said Paul Sneed, core faculty member in
the Master's of Arts Degree Program. "It was one of his passions."