crank idle transition

Old August 8th 05, 09:03 PM
wowunicycle

Default crank idle transition

I can mount to crank idle, idle some, and get out of it but i can't get
to it from riding. Any tips?

--
wowunicycle - mark
wowunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/9126

Old August 8th 05, 09:06 PM
fcwegnm0b

Ride seat on the side, go into an idle like that, pause, and bring your
foot around and put it on the crank, and keep idling. To go out, just
reverse, or use your imagination.

Dave

--
fcwegnm0b - HammerTron

"So the nurse was telling me about what you did to your ankle... and I
all got was 'unicycle', 'mountain', and 'filming'"
fcwegnm0b's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/8357

Old August 8th 05, 09:09 PM
wowunicycle

i get get forward motion after i try to get to it. It just stops.

Old August 8th 05, 09:46 PM
jsm

To get into crank idle (I'm no expert, but I can get it sometimes) I
idle, pull the seat out into seat on side idling, then pop my foot over
the wheel onto the crank. Unfortunately, I can't think of any helfpul
advice to make it easier.

A cool way to get out of crank idle is to spin youself 180 degrees and
put your right foot (assuming you crank idle on the right) on the left
pedal, turn your left foot around, and ride off with the seat in back,
and the unicycle facing the wrong way. It's really hard, but I've
managed it a few times.

--
jsm - Sunset Side Ride

Help edit the Unicyclopedia!
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia
jsm's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6911

Old August 9th 05, 07:43 AM
skate4flip

I can mount to crank idle too and get out of it from there, but i cant
get into it from regular riding.

I have tried it from seat on side idle but i cant seat on side idle very
well yet and whenever i manage to get my foot over i have no momentum
and fall off.

The easiest (and only way as of now) way to get out of crank idle for me
is do this. I do a freehand crank idle with out holding the seat, and
then swing my leg around the front like a freehanded side mount and then
either go into regular idling or riding.

Here are some other ways to get out that would be pretty cool (i havent
tried them yet but i bet they are possible).

1. jump up to a hop on tyre.
2. do a 180 unispin and land hopping seat in front with the seat
backwards.
3. jump up and spin your body 180 degrees and land in seat in front
hopping.

--
skate4flip - Almost level 6
skate4flip's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10198

Old August 9th 05, 10:20 AM
leo

'This is how I do it' (http://tinyurl.com/b3znr) (plus a movement what
Colin Schworer called ''cranck-idle inverse' (http://tinyurl.com/9b6vp)'
or so). It's for sure one of my favourites. And -to me- that part it's a
hard one. Of all things I guess it's the skill I've been practising the
most.

However, your were asking for the transition:
So in deed get there by doing seat on side. Time it right; the foot that
needs to be placed on the cranck should leave on the moment where your
forward motion is about to become backward motion (which is caused by
the lower pedal which is still having your weight on), then quickly put
it on top of the cranck you were going to. If you time it right you wont
feel uncontrolled. As you can see, you can do that part freehanded, but
for now you better hold the seat. Actually by pushing yourself up (by
pushing the seat), you can slow down the whole thing a bit (as less
weight is 'katapulting' the pedals on that moment where your foot
switches).

--
leo - Leo Vandewoestijne

'+1 866-UNI-CYCL' (callto://+18668642925)
'unicycle.net' (http://www.unicycle.net/)

'Subscribe' (http://unicyclist.org/cont/subscribe.cfm) to
'unicyclist.org' (http://unicyclist.org/) !
leo's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/224

Transition to side ride? jsm Unicycling 18 June 19th 05 07:25 AM
ultegra octalink: tick Tick TICK TICK TICK! H. Guy Techniques 44 February 2nd 05 01:56 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
Splined hub and crank maintainence gerblefranklin Unicycling 14 April 16th 04 12:32 AM