Fell off

Old January 6th 04, 08:05 PM
Alan

Default Fell off

I bought a new bike and fitted SPD pedals last July. It took some time to
get used to them and I now consider myself quite professional at clipping
out when I stop.However today on my way home I came across a newly laid road
surface and could feel the heat off it. The tar was sticking to my tyres. At
the lights at the crest of a hill my mind must have wandered. I forgot I was
clipped in and just stopped dead. Before I could think of clipping out the
bike and myself were toppling to the left. I saw a traffic bollard in reach
and threw out my left hand to support myself. unfortunately they are
collapsable now and it only allowed me to slow down the rate of descent.

I landed on my knee and elbow. Once landed I quickly unclipped, got up and
pedalled off. No-one seemed bothered from the line of cars.

Luckily no damage or injury but when I got home I found that my pannier clip
(the bottom one) was missing. I hopped straight in my car and returned to
the scene. Guess what? There was my clip still intact just behind the
bollard.

So lesson learned - - don't switch off when you stop!!

Alan

Old January 6th 04, 08:14 PM
Steve McGinty

On Tue, 6 Jan 2004 20:05:50 -0000, "Alan"
wrote:

So lesson learned - - don't switch off when you stop!!

Actually, probably the opposite - don't mess with sub-conscious
actions.

Regards!
Stephen
Old January 6th 04, 08:50 PM
Pete Biggs

Alan wrote:
I bought a new bike and fitted SPD pedals last July. It took some
time to get used to them and I now consider myself quite professional
at clipping out when I stop.However today on my way home I came
across a newly laid road surface and could feel the heat off it. The
tar was sticking to my tyres. At the lights at the crest of a hill my
mind must have wandered. I forgot I was clipped in and just stopped
dead. Before I could think of clipping out the bike and myself were
toppling to the left. I saw a traffic bollard in reach and threw out
my left hand to support myself. unfortunately they are collapsable
now and it only allowed me to slow down the rate of descent.

Now that is funny! :-D ...Nearly done that sort of thing myself when
trying to hang on to floppy plastic barriers at junctions for the sake of
a super-fast getaway after the lights change.

Glad no damage was done,

~PB

Old January 6th 04, 09:23 PM
Lordy

I forgot I was clipped in and just stopped dead. Before I could
think of clipping out the bike and myself were toppling to the left.

No-one seemed bothered from the line of cars.

Bet they were well amused tho.

--
Lordy
Old January 6th 04, 09:25 PM
Tony W

"Alan" wrote in message
I bought a new bike and fitted SPD pedals last July.

The 6 month rule applies.

:~(