Stem recall

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old May 19th 17, 07:34 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Stem recall

On Friday, May 19, 2017 at 2:34:02 PM UTC+1, wrote:
On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 4:35:02 PM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 11:49:16 PM UTC+1, AMuzi wrote:
On 5/18/2017 5:06 PM, cyclintom@xxx wrote:
On Thursday, May 18, 2017 at 11:36:53 AM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0Z...o1M3Q4Y3M/view

Produced 2007~2013. The interesting line is "may corrode and
fail". Not the usual, "may crack and fail". CPSC reports
exactly one incident with injury.

Profile is one of the best stems I've used. Corrode and fail?

In that this particular model is carbon-wrapped aluminum, I
suppose that's a galvanic corrosion effect.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Maybe. But galvanic between what and what? Surely carbon is inert. I think it more likely that there was inadequate adhesion, air got in, a further layer of aluminum's self-defense layer was formed, furthering delimitation, and presto, a failure. One. One failure doesn't get my heart rate up much.

Carbon is a conductor. And it isn't inert. Remember when resistors used to be made from carbon?

Yah, I didn't have my brain in gear before I engaged my keyboard. As a sailor, I actually used to know something about catalytic effects, which is why I avoided FRP back when I designed my City of Germiston and built it in molded wood instead. But I've given galvanic reaction only a few thoughts in between, mainly in connection with ultra-fi valve amps I designed and built, one set of which was specified for shipboard installation.

Andre Jute
Unlike the clowns who insist on being right all the time, and consequently know very little and have no friends, I make a new friend every time someone has to straighten out what I have forgotten I knew or, of course, never knew.

I don't recall Fred Flintstein Racing 0 June 6th 10 03:04 AM
KEO Recall Tim Arnold Techniques 0 August 8th 08 01:29 PM
Recall Notice - S-Works Carbon Stem [email protected] Techniques 12 August 9th 06 10:31 PM
fyi - Syntace F99 MTB stem recall Ken Mountain Biking 0 January 20th 06 02:29 AM
fyi - Syntace F99 MTB stem recall Ken Techniques 0 January 20th 06 02:29 AM