Cycling Crash - ITU World Championship Series

Old August 15th 09, 05:03 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

Default Cycling Crash - ITU World Championship Series

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...Hyde-Park.html

With two laps of the cycle to go, Ireland’s Eileen Morrison took a
tumble which forced her to withdraw from the race. The accident also
brought down several other riders including Denmark’s Helle
Frederiksen and Czech, Radka Vodickova. Harrison pulled out during the
run

I saw it on TV - I noticed that they were all fortunately wearing
cycle helmets.

I wonder why?

Perhaps they don't realise that they may do more harm than good.

--

The BMA (British Medical Association) urges legislation to make the wearing of cycle helmets compulsory for both adults and children.

The evidence from those countries where compulsory cycle helmet use has already been introduced is that such legislation has a beneficial effect on cycle-related deaths and head injuries.
This strongly supports the case for introducing legislation in the UK. Such legislation should result in a reduction in the morbidity and mortality associated with cycling accidents.
Old August 15th 09, 05:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mr. Benn

Judith M Smith wrote in
news
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...34531/Helen-Je
nkins-claims-bronze-in-ITU-World-Championship-Series-in-Londons-Hyde-Pa
rk.html

With two laps of the cycle to go, Ireland’s Eileen Morrison took a
tumble which forced her to withdraw from the race. The accident also
brought down several other riders including Denmark’s Helle
Frederiksen and Czech, Radka Vodickova. Harrison pulled out during the
run

I saw it on TV - I noticed that they were all fortunately wearing
cycle helmets.

I wonder why?

Perhaps they don't realise that they may do more harm than good.

Wearing a helmet is mandatory for most competitions. I think the insurance
for the competitons requires a helmet to be worn but I am not 100% sure.
Old August 15th 09, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

Mr. Benn wrote:
[...]

I would've thought that elbow and knee pads would be beneficial as well
and maybe an airbag. :-)
Old August 15th 09, 06:32 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 16:30:59 +0000 (UTC), "Mr. Benn" %%@%%.% wrote:

[...]

perhaps so - I wonder why the insurance company insist on helmets?

Old August 15th 09, 06:34 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:35:55 +0100, Bod
wrote:

snip

I saw it on TV - I noticed that they were all fortunately wearing
cycle helmets.

I wonder why?

Perhaps they don't realise that they may do more harm than good.

Wearing a helmet is mandatory for most competitions. I think the insurance
for the competitons requires a helmet to be worn but I am not 100% sure.

I would've thought that elbow and knee pads would be beneficial as well
and maybe an airbag. :-)

Yes - it is surprising an insurance company insisting on something
which may put their customer in further jeopardy with the possibility
of it costing them more money in case of an injury.

Perhaps they don't know as much about managing risk as you do -
perhaps you should give them your views.

Old August 15th 09, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

Judith M Smith wrote:
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:35:55 +0100, Bod
wrote:

snip

I saw it on TV - I noticed that they were all fortunately wearing
cycle helmets.

I wonder why?

Perhaps they don't realise that they may do more harm than good.
Wearing a helmet is mandatory for most competitions. I think the insurance
for the competitons requires a helmet to be worn but I am not 100% sure.

I would've thought that elbow and knee pads would be beneficial as well
and maybe an airbag. :-)

Yes - it is surprising an insurance company insisting on something
which may put their customer in further jeopardy with the possibility
of it costing them more money in case of an injury.

Perhaps they don't know as much about managing risk as you do -
perhaps you should give them your views.

Being serious,I feel that kneepads and elbows pads are almost as
important as helmets,at the sort of speeds that those racing cyclists
travel at.
Old August 15th 09, 07:15 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Judith M Smith

On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 18:52:47 +0100, Bod
wrote:

Judith M Smith wrote:
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:35:55 +0100, Bod
wrote:

snip

[...]

Actually I do agree with you. I thought you were taking the pee out
of helmets - sorry about that.

Old August 15th 09, 07:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bod[_2_]

wrote:

Judith M Smith wrote:
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:35:55 +0100, Bod
wrote:

snip

[...]

No problem,I was being a bit frivolous about the airbag though.

Old August 15th 09, 07:21 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke[_2_]

On 15 Aug, 17:30, "Mr. Benn" %%@%%.% wrote:
Judith M Smith wrote innews

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/oth...34531/Helen-Je
nkins-claims-bronze-in-ITU-World-Championship-Series-in-Londons-Hyde-Pa
rk.html

With two laps of the cycle to go, Ireland’s Eileen Morrison took a
tumble which forced her to withdraw from the race. The accident also
brought down several other riders including Denmark’s Helle
Frederiksen and Czech, Radka Vodickova. Harrison pulled out during the
run

I saw it on TV - I noticed that they were all fortunately wearing
cycle helmets.

I wonder why?

Perhaps *they don't realise that they may do more harm than good.

Wearing a helmet is mandatory for most competitions. *I think the insurance
for the competitons requires a helmet to be worn but I am not 100% sure.

It's the rules.

There are no statistics on the number of people killed racing, either
before or after the implementation of this rule; people do still get
killed.

However, racing cyclists who crash tend to collide with other cyclists
travelling in the same direction at the same speed, so it's not
unlikely that helmets are often useful.
Old August 15th 09, 07:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke[_2_]

On 15 Aug, 18:52, Bod wrote:
Judith M Smith wrote:
On Sat, 15 Aug 2009 17:35:55 +0100, Bod

snip

*
Being serious,I feel that kneepads and elbows pads are almost as
important as helmets,at the sort of speeds that those racing cyclists
travel at.

Being serious, do you think racers are going to clutter themselves up
with such things?