Besides Lycra its now a bike cam for Geoff!!!!!

Old February 28th 11, 12:00 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

Default Besides Lycra its now a bike cam for Geoff!!!!!

Cyclists put mettle to the pedal to capture collisions

You're on bike-cam . . . Simon Hookham with the video camera mounted on
his bicycle, and some of the footage he has captured on his commute,
including near-misses with pedestrians and buses.

You're on bike-cam . . . Simon Hookham with the video camera mounted on
his bicycle, and some of the footage he has captured on his commute,
including near-misses with pedestrians and buses. Photo: Main photo: Ben
Rushton

CYCLISTS have found a new weapon in their battle to stay safe on the
roads - the video camera. They are mounting the tiny cameras to their
helmets or handlebars to film accidents or near misses.

Police say they are willing to use the footage as evidence.

On average there are three injuries a day for pedal cyclists in NSW, the
RTA says, citing the most recent figures, from 2009.
Advertisement: Story continues below

A couple of years ago Nathan Besh hit a pedestrian who stepped in front
of his bicycle.

He said the pedestrian was at fault but did not admit responsibility.
''In a lot of situations like that there are no witnesses and no
evidence, it is your word against theirs,'' Mr Besh said.

As a result he started an online company which sells mounts for
attaching cameras to bicycles. He has mounted a forward-facing camera to
his bike for his Chatswood-to-city commute.

Police could take action after reviewing video footage, a NSW police
media spokesman said. ''Such footage could be used by police to make
further inquiries, but whether they used that footage to take things
further would be reviewed on a case-by-case basis,'' he said.

A partner for Armstrong Legal, Lionel Rattenbury, said the footage could
give cyclists strong ammunition if an incident made it to court, so long
as conversations were not recorded without consent. ''It is akin to CCTV
footage,'' he said.

Simon Hookham, who rides from Castle Hill to work in St Leonards, uses
the bike camera.

''The most common things I see are vehicles nearly shaving off my arm as
they go past me, and cars that overtake without indication across double
lines,'' he said. ''When you play the footage back, you can see just how
close you came to getting hit.''

He puts his footage on YouTube with comments about the people he films,
calling them ''tools'' and ''idiots''.

But filming bad behaviour was not the best way to use bicycle cameras,
said Omar Khalifa, the chief executive of Bicycle NSW. He said they
should be used for tracking cycling routes or showing cyclists how to
act responsibly.

''It helps no one if people point to the bad behaviour of everyone
else,'' he said.

''While dangers exist, many people do the right thing and we don't want
to scare people away from riding by showing only those bad situations.''

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/c...227-1ba0x.html
Old February 28th 11, 02:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

On Feb 28, 10:00*am, Rob wrote:
[...]

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/c...-mettle-to-the...

BNSW's comments prove to be somtheing of a let down. We don't want to
scare people away, but FFS, catching some of the dickheads that
deliberately set out to injure us has to be a plus.

I have a camera I sometimes were on my helmet, and sometimes on my
chest. when it's on my helmet, it's clearly visible to all, and seems
to have an amazing effect on driver behaviour - I get lots more space
and courtesy, whether the camera's turned on or not!

Tony F
Old February 28th 11, 03:24 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 28/02/2011 10:00 AM, Rob wrote:
Cyclists put mettle to the pedal to capture collisions

You're on bike-cam . . . Simon Hookham with the video camera mounted on
his bicycle, and some of the footage he has captured on his commute,
including near-misses with pedestrians and buses.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/c...227-1ba0x.html

Yeah I saw that article but I probably would not have very much use for it.

I am seldom buzzed by cars and in the last 20,000-30,000km I am guessing
it has happened to me less than 10 times and even then it has usually
been about half a metre so whilst it is scary, I am not too fazed by it.

I do see the argument for prosecuting those 10 or so drivers but even if
I did nothing, what I have learnt in life is that they will very likely
continue to commit irresponsible acts and they will be held to account
eventually - nobody gets away with it forever cos there is no forever

Maybe it is something to do with the fact that I ride in the middle of
my lane which deters drivers from buzzing me, maybe it is becos I am
sans the essential accoutrements - clothing (trying never to mention
brand names here so I don't have to go back into theraphy ), sunnies,
maybe it is becos my bike does look pretty rough and it is unlikely any
driver would want to accidentally scratch their vehicle playing silly
buggers, I dunno but any video footage of moi on me bike is gonna be
real boring.

I did start rigging up something with coathanger wire to hold my Nokia
N95 on the head stem to record some of my rides but I got bored trying
to figure out a locking mechanism to securely hold the phone so the
phone did not pop out of the carrier.

From a technical viewpoint, I would be curious enough to see what the
setup is like, eg power reqirements, storage, camera capabilities,
weight, connecting cables, etc. Might google for hat online shop mentioned.
Old February 28th 11, 04:56 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 28/02/2011 1:24 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
On 28/02/2011 10:00 AM, Rob wrote:
Cyclists put mettle to the pedal to capture collisions

You're on bike-cam . . . Simon Hookham with the video camera mounted on
his bicycle, and some of the footage he has captured on his commute,
including near-misses with pedestrians and buses.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/c...227-1ba0x.html

From a technical viewpoint, I would be curious enough to see what the
setup is like, eg power reqirements, storage, camera capabilities,
weight, connecting cables, etc. Might google for hat online shop mentioned.

This is the Go

http://gopro.com/

Record up to 2.5 hours on a single charge and up to 9 hours total on a
32GB SD card (not included).

Professional quality 1080p, 960p, and 720p HD resolutions records the
action at 30 frames per second (60 fps in 720p)

Dimensions (H x W x D): 1.6” x 2.4” x 1.2” (42mm x 60mm x 30mm)
Weight: 3.3oz (94g) incl. battery, 5.9oz (167g) incl. housing

Old February 28th 11, 12:54 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Tomasso[_7_]

thefathippy wrote:
On Feb 28, 10:00 am, Rob wrote:
Cyclists put mettle to the pedal to capture collisions

You're on bike-cam . . .
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/c...-mettle-to-the...

BNSW's comments prove to be somtheing of a let down. We don't want to
scare people away, but FFS, catching some of the dickheads that
deliberately set out to injure us has to be a plus.

I have a camera I sometimes were on my helmet, and sometimes on my
chest. when it's on my helmet, it's clearly visible to all, and seems
to have an amazing effect on driver behaviour - I get lots more space
and courtesy, whether the camera's turned on or not!

Tony F

Reminds me of when I put an "L" plate on my Bundy built frame riding
around Newcastle. Car drivers would swerve onto the other side of
the road almost trashing themselves.

Tom.
Old February 28th 11, 03:18 PM posted to aus.bicycle
K.A. Moylan

In article , Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:

[...]

If no-one pulls them up on it, then of course they will continue to
commit irresponsible acts and never be held account. Might as well be
forever.

K.A. Moylan
Canberra, Australia
Ski Club: http://www.cccsc.asn.au
kamoylan at netspeed dot com dot au
Old February 28th 11, 07:45 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 28/02/2011 10:54 PM, Tomasso wrote:
thefathippy wrote:
On Feb 28, 10:00 am, Rob wrote:
Cyclists put mettle to the pedal to capture collisions

You're on bike-cam . . .
http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/c...-mettle-to-the...

I have a camera I sometimes were on my helmet, and sometimes on my
chest. when it's on my helmet, it's clearly visible to all, and seems
to have an amazing effect on driver behaviour - I get lots more space
and courtesy, whether the camera's turned on or not!

Reminds me of when I put an "L" plate on my Bundy built frame riding
around Newcastle. Car drivers would swerve onto the other side of the
road almost trashing themselves.

You are a bad evil man

Old February 28th 11, 07:54 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 1/03/2011 1:18 AM, K.A. Moylan wrote:
In article, Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:

On 28/02/2011 10:00 AM, Rob wrote:
Cyclists put mettle to the pedal to capture collisions

You're on bike-cam . . . Simon Hookham with the video camera mounted on
his bicycle, and some of the footage he has captured on his commute,
including near-misses with pedestrians and buses.

http://www.smh.com.au/digital-life/c...227-1ba0x.html

I do see the argument for prosecuting those 10 or so drivers but even if
I did nothing, what I have learnt in life is that they will very likely
continue to commit irresponsible acts and they will be held to account
eventually - nobody gets away with it forever cos there is no forever

If no-one pulls them up on it, then of course they will continue to
commit irresponsible acts and never be held account. Might as well be
forever.

To me, "forever" is when a B-double runs over me late at night or early
in the morning, as the case may be, on that long dark lonely road I ride
on regularly Other than that, there ain't no "forever"

I do see your point about nailing those itinerants who transgress.
Without affirmative action on the part of cyclists and coppers, those
said *******s will simply not care until they do get caught.

There is some comfort from the SMH article as it appears the coppers are
willing to, at least, consider any captured footage, so that is a big
plus point - in a way, cos any consideration is on a case-by-case basis
only.
Old March 2nd 11, 09:12 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

Rob wrote:

But filming bad behaviour was not the best way to use bicycle cameras,
said Omar Khalifa, the chief executive of Bicycle NSW.

Lol, once again BNSW indulges in bike bashing.
Old March 2nd 11, 09:15 AM posted to aus.bicycle
terryc

Geoff Lock wrote:

There is some comfort from the SMH article as it appears the coppers are
willing to, at least, consider any captured footage,

Naah, the coppers are better trained in PR puff.

Geoff Smith Cycles Sam Salt UK 1 February 22nd 08 01:42 PM
Just what is it about lycra?!? cfsmtb Australia 45 November 27th 06 07:07 AM
Cheer up Geoff Gallop! Shaw Australia 5 January 19th 06 10:03 AM
ex England footballer & leukaemia survivor Geoff Thomas to ride TdF'05 Route Bronzie Racing 0 May 20th 05 12:24 PM
ex England footballer & leukaemia survivor Geoff Thomas to ride TdF'05 Route Bronzie UK 1 May 18th 05 06:07 PM