A Cycling & bikes forum. CycleBanter.com

Go Back   Home » CycleBanter.com forum » rec.bicycles » Techniques
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

frame fork headset

Old December 14th 14, 06:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

Default frame fork headset

On 12/13/2014 3:26 PM, wrote:
No definitive answer yet. One says no. One says yes but will look ugly due to fork crown being large. I'm OK with looks. Not sure what Mr. Muzi is saying. The fork description says "for integrated headsets". I'm assuming that is correct no matter what the picture of the fork is. Will the fork work with a normal headset on a normal frame? Can I press in the cups in the headtube. Drop the cartridge bearings in. Slide the fork crown race down the steerer. Will it work?

Not sure what a fork for integrated headsets implies. Will a fork for integrated headsets allow you to slide the separate metal fork crown race down the steerer tube? Or is the fork crown race already formed into the bottom of the carbon fork so no separate metal piece is needed? Or does this "for integrated headsets" fork just mean it looks best with frames with integrated headsets because the fork crown is formed so it all blends together well?

On Saturday, December 13, 2014 8:04:13 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/12/2014 8:51 PM, wrote:
Trying to figure out whether a frame, fork, headset will work together. Frame is a regular 1 1/8" headtube. Takes the old normal headsets with the press in cups that sit above and below the tube. Sealed bearings drop into the cups pressed into either end of the headtube. The crown race bearing cone slides down the fork steerer tube to the bottom at the fork crown.

The fork I am looking at for this frame is the one below. Nashbar full carbon road fork. In the description it says "for integrated-style headsets".

http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...34_-1___204683

Huh. When I click your link I see a regular 1-1/8" carbon
fork with enhanced marketing ('slice through the wind').
Copy says 'for integrated headsets' but the crown diameter
is not shown. Image doesn't look unusual.

Standard 1-1/8" threadless headset, not integrated,
internal, hidden, oversize crown or anything frenetically
outside of normal. Sealed cartridge units run $40 up here.

Andrew Muzi

Many modern headset systems use a steerer with larger
bottom. Your linked fork doesn't appear to be that type.

It seems the description 'for internal headsets' means 'fat
top of fork crown' rather that 'larger bottom bearing' but
again there is no crown seat diameter specified.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Ads
Old December 14th 14, 08:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

Thanks everyone. I now sort of have a definitive answer. The picture is of a fork with a large crown designed for bikes with headsets that fit right into the headtube, no external cups. That may pose a looks problem with a too large crown and external headset cups. Andrew says the picture shows a steerer tube that is the same diameter top to bottom and takes a separate race. Like regular forks. He thinks the description of "for integrated headsets" means the race is formed into the bottom of the steerer tube and will not accept a separate slide on race. Fork like this will not work with a regular headset.

After learning this and seeing the pictures again, I may just go with one of Nashbar's other forks that is designed to accept regular headsets and looks good with regular frames. Has a normal looking crown. It will have an aluminum steerer instead of carbon. But I doubt the extra weight will affect me too much.

On Sunday, December 14, 2014 11:30:46 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/13/2014 3:26 PM,:
No definitive answer yet. One says no. One says yes but will look ugly due to fork crown being large. I'm OK with looks. Not sure what Mr. Muzi is saying. The fork description says "for integrated headsets". I'm assuming that is correct no matter what the picture of the fork is. Will the fork work with a normal headset on a normal frame? Can I press in the cups in the headtube. Drop the cartridge bearings in. Slide the fork crown race down the steerer. Will it work?

Not sure what a fork for integrated headsets implies. Will a fork for integrated headsets allow you to slide the separate metal fork crown race down the steerer tube? Or is the fork crown race already formed into the bottom of the carbon fork so no separate metal piece is needed? Or does this "for integrated headsets" fork just mean it looks best with frames with integrated headsets because the fork crown is formed so it all blends together well?

Trying to figure out whether a frame, fork, headset will work together. Frame is a regular 1 1/8" headtube. Takes the old normal headsets with the press in cups that sit above and below the tube. Sealed bearings drop into the cups pressed into either end of the headtube. The crown race bearing cone slides down the fork steerer tube to the bottom at the fork crown..

The fork I am looking at for this frame is the one below. Nashbar full carbon road fork. In the description it says "for integrated-style headsets".

Andrew Muzi

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 14th 14, 08:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi
external usenet poster

On 12/14/2014 1:19 PM, wrote:
Thanks everyone. I now sort of have a definitive answer. The picture is of a fork with a large crown designed for bikes with headsets that fit right into the headtube, no external cups. That may pose a looks problem with a too large crown and external headset cups. Andrew says the picture shows a steerer tube that is the same diameter top to bottom and takes a separate race. Like regular forks. He thinks the description of "for integrated headsets" means the race is formed into the bottom of the steerer tube and will not accept a separate slide on race. Fork like this will not work with a regular headset.

After learning this and seeing the pictures again, I may just go with one of Nashbar's other forks that is designed to accept regular headsets and looks good with regular frames. Has a normal looking crown. It will have an aluminum steerer instead of carbon. But I doubt the extra weight will affect me too much.

On Sunday, December 14, 2014 11:30:46 AM UTC-6, AMuzi wrote:
On 12/13/2014 3:26 PM,:

Trying to figure out whether a frame, fork, headset will work together. Frame is a regular 1 1/8" headtube. Takes the old normal headsets with the press in cups that sit above and below the tube. Sealed bearings drop into the cups pressed into either end of the headtube. The crown race bearing cone slides down the fork steerer tube to the bottom at the fork crown.

Andrew Muzi

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

I didn't say that.

The fork shown takes a standard headset crown race. The fork
itself is big on top, which may be an aesthetic problem but
not a mechanical problem.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 14th 14, 11:40 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
[email protected]
external usenet poster

GNAW if you like the stated CF fork

Get on the phone for abt 2PM PCF and call Universal Cycles ( Yellow Jersey prob doesn't stock whatever this is but you cold wait n ask YJ ) and inquire abt

'will not accept a separate slide on race. Fork like this will not work with a regular headset'

but Andy sez no prob anyway but ASK ! UC has a expert 'like' how else could UC sell those head tube system adapters ?

I built alotof my Redline Trekker, a modified, from UC when frankly I know dung abt mating components