Can't get tire on/off Sunrims MZ14

Old August 15th 05, 05:49 AM
Thad Smith

Default Can't get tire on/off Sunrims MZ14

My road bike came with Sunrims MZ14 about 2 years ago. They have a 16
mm aero taper. When I took it back to the shop where I bought it, they
couldn't get new 700x23 Continental tires on, so returned the bike
without the requested new tires. Another shop tried several tires --
they couldn't get a single side of any Kevlar (?) bead tires on at all,
and an Armadillo wire-rimmed went on after 15 minutes of the mechanics
working on it. At home I can't even get one side of the tire off! It
took me 5 minutes just to hook the tire with the lever. I can't get any
further. I changed the rear previously, but had to use a screwdriver to
get the tire on. It is somehow easier.

The sales guy at one of the shops says that the rims are not as deep and
that is why they are hard. Unless someone comes up with a tire that I
can change on the road with tire levers, I will have to get some new
rims. Right now I don't recall the original brand of tire that seemed
to work.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me?

Thanks,
Thad

Old August 15th 05, 05:50 PM

search tech archives to- DIY Tire Removal 2

Old August 15th 05, 06:39 PM
Mister2u

I was wondering about the same thing
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...53e9ab8c641 b

Old August 15th 05, 10:38 PM

go with the prestone silicone lube from walmort
spray one side bead(the side you dismount on) twice after shaking-the
can- and allow to dry in sun
get a set of eldi levers to force removal and a set of parks'
spoonbills for remounting-there's a ledge to gauge penetration with