Riding with a Hernia

Old January 13th 09, 12:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UekiTylor

Default Riding with a Hernia

I got a 20" Torker LX for Christmas. I still require a
wall/fence/bridge to hold onto to go very far, so I have been learning
to ride on days it is not too snowy on the bridge by my house. I've
had only one particularly bad spill that left me in serious groin pain
for 10+ minutes, but other than that I've manage to land on my feet.

I had my yearly checkup today and my doctor says I have a hernia. He
seemed totally unconcerned about unicycling and was sure that no amount
of racking myself with my unicycle or falling off would cause this or
make it significantly worse. However, he is not a unicyclist and I
thought maybe someone here may know a bit more about hernias and
unicycles.

Does anyone think I should definitely avoid riding my unicycle until
after my surgery? I see a 4 year old thread where experienced
unicyclers said it would be 5 weeks or so after my surgery before they
could/should ride again... but they are experienced unicyclers, maybe
learning to ride is more likely to cause injury and I should wait
longer?

I'm bummed about being injured and probably not learning to ride my
unicycle for a while, but I guess January is a better time to be stuck
inside than May or June!

Any advice is appreciated!
Ueki Tylor

--
UekiTylor
Old January 13th 09, 12:55 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

In my professional opinion, i wouldnt. It could worsen anything, and
prolong recovery time. If your just riding distance/comuting you ask
your doctor what he thinks about cycling in general.

but just to be on the safe side i'd say dont unicycle.

--
unibikeling

"-I'll learn the landing once i do the takeoff-" - me

'Sixsixone - Great gear for all riding!' (sixsixone.com)-'My Videos'
(http://www.youtube.com/user/lardmcfatso)

Sprite Off Winner 08~
Old January 13th 09, 01:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
ntappin

I trust a doctor more than I trust potentially uneducated guesses from
random people I have never met.

They could be giving decent advice, but still, you are just learning to
ride still and aren't doing any serious riding, so I wouldn't worry
about it at all.

--
ntappin

'how to build a strong comfy saddle from junk.'
(http://tinyurl.com/hxcb3)
Old January 13th 09, 01:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
UekiTylor

Thank you for the advice! I'll ask him about mountain biking... that
seems to make my legs ache about as much as practicing my unicycle.
Although I suspect it is totally different muscles that are aching.

--
UekiTylor
Old January 13th 09, 04:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
blueharmony

I have a hernia and unicycling never bothers me, but mine isn't bad
either. It depends on your own situation so asking your doctor is a good
idea.

--
blueharmony

_________
- Kenny
-unicycle for yourself-
Old January 13th 09, 04:16 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Wheel Rider

It could depend on the type of hernia. If this is the "turn your head
and cough" type then racking yourself probably will not make it worse. I
do think that all the stress of carrying your weight on your legs while
learning to unicycle could make it worse.

Learning to ride a unicycle is physically stressful.

Disclaimer: I am not a doctor. I speak only from personal experience.

Talk to your doctor. Do what the doctor says. Be sure to describe the
leg/groin stress involved. The mountain biking comparison sounds good
but tell the doctor unicycling is harder than mountain biking.

--
Wheel Rider

A man can fail many times but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame someone else. - Waite Phillips

The art of medicine consists of keeping the patient amused while nature
heals the disease. - Voltaire
Old January 13th 09, 04:31 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

i guess it wouldnt hurt to, but it may not be the best idea in the world
for it.

i'm speaking from a standpoint of having gone through 100 hours in an
emergency medical care course and being certified in both cpr/aed and
OEC technition.

Old January 13th 09, 04:33 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
GizmoDuck

What sort of hernia is it?

If it's an inguinal hernia then anything that increases your
intrabdominal pressure will pop it out. Straining on the toilet, lefting
things, and probably unicycling as well.

Some of them are easily reduced (push on it and it pops back in). The
only problem comes when it comes out and you can push it back in.

--
GizmoDuck

The Induni Unicycle Tour 2009. Unicycle Tour of India. Email me for
details. www.induni.adventureunicyclist.com
The Uninam Tour 2008.....Hanoi to Saigon!!! www.uninam.net
The SINZ Unicycle Tour 2007....South Island, New Zealand
www.sinzuni.org
Old January 13th 09, 04:43 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unibikeling

woah... Gizmo, you jsut reminded me of a previous conversation.... I
cant remember whether if it was on a trials forum, or on here, but
either you or someone else said the same thing.

Sometimes you can push it back in, and it might come back, but
sometimes you can.

Old January 13th 09, 05:01 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
natosha

Hmm...I think if it were me, I wouldn't want to risk it. It seems like
a better idea to just take the time off now and get healthy as fast as
you can so that you can get back to unicycling as fast as possible
rather than risk making it worse (and possibly increasing your recovery
time). Of course a doctor's opinion would be best.

Just my 2 cents.

--
natosha

Riding with a reinjured inguinal hernia chrisc[_3_] General 6 August 15th 08 02:08 AM
hernia and the bike Geoff Pearson UK 7 February 21st 08 07:47 PM
Hernia and bike riding Joseph Australia 3 November 4th 05 10:00 PM
new hernia treatment Vadim Racing 0 May 16th 05 01:07 AM
Can Riding a Recumbent Cause a Hernia? Dom Recumbent Biking 4 November 30th 04 06:58 AM