Reproduction ChuckHarris Mirrors

Old November 17th 14, 02:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Reproduction ChuckHarris Mirrors

On Sunday, November 16, 2014 9:35:27 PM UTC-5, wrote:
sub polycarb to 'plastic'

https://www.google.com/#q=mirrored+p...d:p&tbm=sho p

https://www.google.com/#q=motorcycle...09344551737582
Old November 17th 14, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/16/2014 8:44 PM, Joe Riel wrote:

How thick is the mirror you use? I haven't been able to locate any
small sources as yet. Ridout Plastic has 2' x 4' x 1/8 sheets of
mirrored polycarbonate, which sounds ideal, but goes for $190, which is
kind of pricey for a one-off. Plexiglass is about a third the price,
but that's still too much. They are local, so I emailed them to see if
they have samples/cutoffs available.

The plastic mirror material I use is about 0.075" thick. I used to use
the steel wire that forms the handle on containers of Chinese take-out
food; it had the right diameter and degree of hardness. The wire can't
be dead soft, but it has to take a sharp 90 degree bend. I've now
upgraded to 0.050" stainless steel wire.

I got this plastic mirror material at a local surplus store, but my
early ones (over 20 years ago) used a roughly 4" x 5" plastic mirror I
found for sale among the camping supplies, with the cheap compasses,
waterproof matches, packable toothbrushes etc.

Let me know if you can't find the stuff.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 17th 14, 02:54 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/16/2014 8:44 PM, Joe Riel wrote:

How thick is the mirror you use?

Here's what I first used:

http://www.coghlans.com/products/fea...ht-mirror-8501

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 17th 14, 04:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 17:44:21 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:

How thick is the mirror you use? I haven't been able to locate any
small sources as yet.
(...)

How about a plastic dentist mirror?
https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+dentist+mirror&tbm=isch
A little heat should bend them permanently to the correct shape. Maybe
some plastic welding or drilling.

This one has a flat end that might be useful for attachment.
http://www.tessoralhealth.com/assets/images/original/52/52866_98db555289971897784c527804ea5aa2d2d89e8c.jpg

Bigger or more elaborate:
https://www.google.com/search?q=inspection+mirror&tbm=isch

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old November 17th 14, 11:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, November 16, 2014 9:54:58 PM UTC-5, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 11/16/2014 8:44 PM, Joe Riel wrote:

How thick is the mirror you use?

Here's what I first used:

http://www.coghlans.com/products/fea...ht-mirror-8501

--
- Frank Krygowski

nnnnnnnnnHD

heavy ? dental mirrors are small, rescue too large/heavy/durabble, inspection too heavy/durable.

where does Frank find the wire ?

reinforcing rod tie wire, tho not what you want here, suggests a use able bendablness if coated with plastic.

there should be wire sub-technology here

ISIL may have watched Spanish Religio SF ?

Old November 17th 14, 03:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 11/16/2014 7:44 PM, Joe Riel wrote:
Frank Krygowski writes:

On 11/15/2014 6:17 PM, Joy Beeson wrote:
On Sat, 15 Nov 2014 11:01:01 -0500, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

I don't know a source for Chuck Harris mirrors, but it's pretty easy to
make one's own mirrors. Start with a plastic mirror, sold for camping
or backpacking, plus some wire of suitable stiffness. A light gage
butted spoke may work.

But how do you attach it to an all-foam "helmet"?

Ah. Well, I attach mine to my glasses instead, since I don't usually
use a helmet.

But it looks like the Chuck Harris and the Hubbub mirrors end in sort
of double U shapes, that you just squeeze onto the edge of your
helmet. It looks like that wouldn't be hard to copy. Is there some
specific feature of your helmet that makes that inadequate?

(BTW, my home-made mirrors are much smaller than the Harris/Hubbub
design. I minimize the eye-to-mirror length so a smaller mirror gives
a fine field of view. I make sure that stem length allows me to just
see past my shoulder.)

How thick is the mirror you use? I haven't been able to locate any
small sources as yet. Ridout Plastic has 2' x 4' x 1/8 sheets of
mirrored polycarbonate, which sounds ideal, but goes for $190, which is
kind of pricey for a one-off. Plexiglass is about a third the price,
but that's still too much. They are local, so I emailed them to see if
they have samples/cutoffs available.

perhaps the cosmetics section at a drugstore?

http://www.walgreens.com/store/c/e.l...147940-product

I also have a dental type inspection mirror which isn't glass
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old November 17th 14, 04:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Sunday, November 16, 2014 1:04:06 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
(BTW, my home-made mirrors are much smaller than the Harris/Hubbub
design. I minimize the eye-to-mirror length so a smaller mirror gives a
fine field of view. I make sure that stem length allows me to just see
past my shoulder.)

- Frank Krygowski

Off topic to this discussion. Care to expand on the length of the stem for the mirror. I am using the Bike Peddler Take-A-Look mirror on my eyeglasses. Original longer stem length. They also offer a shorter stem length. I seem to be happy with the longer stem length but have never tried the shorter stem length. Anyone want to offer opinions and reasons for having a shorter or longer stem length on the mirror?
Old November 17th 14, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/17/2014 11:52 AM, wrote:

Off topic to this discussion. Care to expand on the length of the stem for the mirror. I am using the Bike Peddler Take-A-Look mirror on my eyeglasses. Original longer stem length. They also offer a shorter stem length. I seem to be happy with the longer stem length but have never tried the shorter stem length. Anyone want to offer opinions and reasons for having a shorter or longer stem length on the mirror?

Over the years, I've shortened the stem as much as I could, for the
following reasons: First, if the mirror is closer to my eye, a smaller
mirror gives the same field of view. The smaller mirror then has less
mass, so it's less prone to vibrate. The shorter stalk is also stiffer,
so also less prone to vibrate. The smaller mirror+stalk means it gets
bumped less when doing things like bending over, doing bike repairs,
putting on a cap, or whatever.

The limit for stalk length, at least for me, is that I need to see over
my shoulder. If I make the stalk too short, the shoulder of my jacket
obstructs part of the view. (From time to time, I've wondered about
those microscopic mirrors that stick inside the upper left corner of the
glasses lens, but I suspect I'd get a view of only my shoulder.)

I just measured. The stalk of my mirror is 2.5" from the hinge of my
eyeglasses to the mirror surface. The mirror is about 0.5" x 0.9"

The only downside I know to minimizing the mirrors this way is that they
are easier to lose. I know by experience that one can drop this thing
(for example, on the floor of a grocery store) and have it practically
disappear. It's like it goes into another dimension of space. That's
almost the only reason I've ever had to replace them.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 17th 14, 06:49 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 11/16/2014 11:07 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:
On Sun, 16 Nov 2014 17:44:21 -0800, Joe Riel wrote:

How thick is the mirror you use? I haven't been able to locate any
small sources as yet.
(...)

How about a plastic dentist mirror?
https://www.google.com/search?q=plastic+dentist+mirror&tbm=isch
A little heat should bend them permanently to the correct shape. Maybe
some plastic welding or drilling.

I've considered that. But I find it far easier to work with metal.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old November 17th 14, 06:51 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

[...]

nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn

http://www.eyeslipsface.com/makeup/tools/mirrors

good gift for Beattie...

I'm in for a quart of concealer.

Anybody have a good source for reproduction decals? !Jones Techniques 34 March 20th 13 02:27 AM
Mirrors for Bromptons? [email protected] UK 10 August 26th 07 04:46 PM
Trucks & Mirrors Roos Eisma UK 6 June 8th 07 05:05 PM
FS: Reproduction ordinary Danny Colyer UK 8 December 19th 05 08:12 PM
Mirrors (again) ed Techniques 2 September 29th 04 06:59 PM